Wiring up LED's

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Is all wire the same?? I've got all my LEDs connected, and just doing last connections from the driver to the LEDs. I had 16 gauge speaker wire so I used that. Is that going to be a problem? The longest string I've got is like 13 LEDs. I'm also using it for my dimming controller which is no more then 10 volts. If it makes a difference its stranded wire.

Thanks
Colin

Do not use stranded wire and always pre tin. I used 18 guage solid core if I remember correctly. Radio Shack sells it for a decent price. The thicker the copper, the better heatsink it becomes.

coolsurf;678161 wrote: Do not use stranded wire and always pre tin. I used 18 guage solid core if I remember correctly. Radio Shack sells it for a decent price. The thicker the copper, the better heatsink it becomes.

I was told that stranded was better. Easier to solder and manipulate.

I guess what my question should have been is this, is the insulation on 16 gauge wire strong enough to handle 45 volts??

Colin

Ya, I wired my LED's with 20 gauge and I've had no problems.

If I'm not mistaken elc. current runs on the outside of wire and that stranded wire will carry more current with less heat

Guerry;678296 wrote: If I'm not mistaken elc. current runs on the outside of wire and that stranded wire will carry more current with less heat
+1

Stranded wire is easier to work with, carries more current, and costs more.

If you look at wire ratings, and take into account that most LED circuits are 1A or less, it doesn't really matter. Almost anything you can buy will work. Cool is right about pretinning being a good idea, but considering the current carrying wire as part of the cooling is a bad idea.

darcurr;678402 wrote: +1
but considering the current carrying wire as part of the cooling is a bad idea.

Just curious where you learned that? The heat that dissipitates away from the LED is a good thing. The thicker copper absorbs the heat remaining in the LED that did not make it's way out to the main heatsink. The more heat in the LED, the more it takes away from the lifespan and causes failure. The copper does not get "hot" but it warms a little from the LED.

Not trying to dispute but it was taught to me in school that way along with the SC wire. I'm always open to learning a different way. :)

Understood and agree but I am not suggesting over large wire. Recommended wire for this application has been placed at 18 or 20 guage SC which allows proper electrical transfer and slight heat absorbtion.

No big deal really just didn't want to get my wires crossed.

coolsurf;678419 wrote: Just curious where you learned that? The heat that dissipitates away from the LED is a good thing. The thicker copper absorbs the heat remaining in the LED that did not make it's way out to the main heatsink. The more heat in the LED, the more it takes away from the lifespan and causes failure. The copper does not get "hot" but it warms a little from the LED.

Not trying to dispute but it was taught to me in school that way along with the SC wire. I'm always open to learning a different way. :)

My background with heatsinks is in power electronics. Not exactly the same priciple as LEDs, but close. The wire sizes practical for LED use are negligable as far as their impact. As you said, it only gets so warm. Once the fact that the current in the conductor generates heat is considered any benefit is marginal. I would be concered about the quality and size of the heatsink not the difference in 16ga vs 20ga.

Back