Working with Aluminum

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
Two questions.

1. Where do folks find aluminum for DIY reflectors? I'm thinking those 4x2' sheets.

2. What do you cut it with? My experience with snips is that it causes the metal to curl. Is it possible to score it and the bend/break it?

Thanks.

You can get polished aluminum from http://www.mcmaster.com/">McMasterCarr</a> in pretty much whatever size you want. I've never bought any from them, but if you decide to, lemme know how it comes out.

If it's a little dull, then use some aluminum polish (available from HD or Lowes) and a felt wheel - won't take long at all...

If you have access to a table saw or band saw, you can cut it that way. Sandwich the aluminum between two pieces of wood (use tape to hold the sandwich together) prior to making the cut.

I do have a table saw (sort of, i have a shopsmith). I could try that but it would be hard to make the cuts I want to do.

I just remember I have a rotozip...can I use that somehow? My past experience was that it was hard to cut a straight line.

I was just thinking of this, I just ordered from Master-Carr. The part number is 8202d32. Aluminum sheet with mirror finish .040" thick, 12"x23".

man...i gotta give a shout out to all you DIY'ers out there...this doesn't sound too simple and I gotta take my hat off to that kind of work...wish I had that talent. Hey, I did make my own ATO after Lee showed me how once. lol.

Loren you can cut it with a skil saw you have to get a special metal cutting blade for the saw . I think a friend of mine still has mine i will check with him. It will cut thru anything but were safety glasses! I can cut it for you, if you have the material.

That's a good idea as well. I have one and now that I think about it I bought a packet of blades that has some for cutting metal (I think).

Eddie B.;133565 wrote: Loren you can cut it with a skil saw you have to get a special metal cutting blade for the saw . I think a friend of mine still has mine i will check with him. It will cut thru anything but were safety glasses! I can cut it for you, if you have the material.

I haven't bought any aluminum around here but when I lined the inside of a 90 gallon tank hood with aluminum, the shop where I bought it, cut all the pieces to size for me. I bought 1/16" thick, polished aluminum. Worked like a charm.

Most of the ideas listed above are:

1. not going to give you the optimal results on the cut edges

2. good ways to slice yourself open to the bone

If you are serious about wanting to do this type of fabrication you need a metal brake but since these are quite pricey you need to find someone with a break who will cut your pieces and more likely than not have the super shiney stock you are looking for.

There are about a bazillion fabricators in the metro area. Also, if the metal you are cutting isn't much thicker than a typical roof flashing material, look for a crew doing siding and I bet they can cut you what you need for the cost of a box of chicken and some sodas.

If you are still intent on doing this yourself I suggest a pnuematic shear and a compressor and a really thick pair of leather gloves.

Back