Would 36g tall work for SW setup?

merc123

Reaction score
I've got a 36g tank I'm using now for a FW Cichlid grow out tank and was wondering if it could be converted to a small SW setup?

Here is what I have so far:

Coralife 50-50 bulb (10000k/actinic)
XP3 canister filter
Stealth heater
Hydrometer, thermometer
Pool filter sand
Crushed coral
Master test kit (will get one for SW testing)

I was going to use live rock and sand. My stock list was going to try to include:

Anemones
Sea star
Shrimp
Wrasse
Clown Fish
Blennies or Goby
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Firefish

First, one thing you'll need to add to your equipment listing is a good HOB(Hang on the back) skimmer. You'll need a good skimmer esp. if you want to add all those inhabitants. The canister filter is not recommended but can be used effectively with good maintenacne practices.(I use one myself to polish the water). Secondly, the lights you mentioned really won't provide enough light for an anemone. VHO/T5/MH would be the best choice. A great source for questions is http://www.wetwebmedia.com">http://www.wetwebmedia.com</a>.
Good luck!

Great site! Thanks flyingarmy. I'll probably scrap the anemone because of the light.

No problem..just post up if you have any questions or need any help! ARC is a wealth of knowledge!

also, make sure you didn't use any treatments in the tank that could be detrimental to corals...like copper based medicines.

I know this 54 Gallon Corner with all livestock, lights and EVERYTHING for sale :)

Tall tanks are not the BEST tanks for reef tanks. Of course they are taller then normal and this leads to a few problems... A) Oxygen exchange and surface area is greatly reduced. This leads to many PH issues and low O2 in the water. b) Aquascaping a tall tank is not the funest thing in the world. c) Lighting needs to be more powerful in a tall tank to reach the sand bed. (Yes your sand bed needs light too)

My advice, along with what others have posted, is go with a deep tank instead of a tall tank. my second gem of advice would be to spend the extra money on a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. If you were going with a fish only it would not be as big of a deal but hydrometer can be very off in their measurements so spend the extra $20 on one as opposed to killing a $30 shrimp. ;)

Tall tanks are fine, but can handle less of a bio-load than a long tank. Cut down your inhabitant list a little and you'll be ok.

I'm a huge believer in canister filters, just keep them clean and they work great.

Xyzpdq0121;107384 wrote: go with a deep tank instead of a tall tank.

Now that is some confusing advice from our soon to be president! :confused2: :tongue2:

Deep instead of tall caught me too :)

I'm going to sit on this for a while until my confidence and money goes up.

Back