Xenia problems - WONT GROW!

thanh386

Market
Reaction score
God... I can't grow it. I just can't. I am yanking my hair out trying to figure why. My shrooms, zoos, mont, and leather are doing fine. I just can't grow any xenias that has been given to me. Is it because it's harder to grow free floating ones? Will i have a better chance if they are attached to a rock? Any advice would be awesome. Colt and pom pom xenias look just so nice. I dont want those until i can grow normal xenias!

I would just give up, and try something else. xenia melts in my tank (fuge).

If you REALLY want them to thrive...I would definetly mount them to a peice of rock (bridal veil works best for me). Xenia like a little dirtier water too. If you are over-skimming you wont have as much success.

THey like dirtier water...so, feed more or skim less and give it a shot!

Would colt coral have teh same outcome? I just want something frilly in my tank!

I would agree with the dirtier tank thing. I can't stop this stuff from growing and I have a crappy skimmer, and am not relgious about cleaning etc. I do have a refuge,. but I havent trimed the algae in ages.

Thanh386;283627 wrote: Would colt coral have teh same outcome? I just want something frilly in my tank!

How about clove polyps? They are one of my favorites and grow very fast.

Susie

Akopley;283648 wrote: I agree but others on the board refute this opinion.
True...true!

Just my personal experience.
I had a similar problem when I was starting out. I have a skimmer that far exceeds my tank size and at the time...my bio-load. So I backed off on the skimming and the xenia began to thrive. In fact it went out-of control!

My load has increased now so my skimmer runs full time and the xenia still thrives.

I just fragged a piece of spaghetti finger leather. It's actually a whole big stalk. In just over a year, it's tripled in size. I bought it originally as one stalk and now have three free standing colonies. 20 bucks? It's one of these. I have it healing on a piece of shell. Should attach soon. Those mushrooms in bottom right corner are "frilly" I have one tied up just above waiting for it to attach. I have some other stuff but you'd have to come look.

P2020304.jpg
alt="" />

Fisherwoman;283664 wrote: How about clove polyps? They are one of my favorites and grow very fast.

Susie

Have any frags or for sale? Any pics?

Thanh386;283819 wrote: Have any frags or for sale? Any pics?

I will be glad to give you a frag! Let me know when you will be at Tim's next and I will send you a frag by Charlene.

Susie

I can pick it up at your home or at Tim's whenever... i owe him 3 bux... I need to go pay him. Just gimme a time.

Back