Zoas closed?

steve

Market
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any ideas why? everything else is healthy. I've never tested my water so don't ask for any water params, plus I don't have a kit to do that. No pests on em or anything that I can see.

I came home from work last night and almost every one was closed, I figured I'd wait till today and see what was up and still nothing...

Honestly man, without test parameters its like shooting in the dark. Could be anything, especially ammonia or salinity.

I'd do a water change and maybe some fresh carbon if testing is out of the question.

I know testing isnt cool, and I admit that I dont do it often either, but when you start having problems, that is when they are almost a must for troubleshooting. If its not too late, that is

I may change out 4 gallons of it in the display... I'ma go do that now.

Hope that helps. I may get burned for not testing and I may not. I plan to have all the goodies on the new tank. If anything happens to the zoa collection no worries.

I had a zoa frag that looked good in the lfs but as soon as i got it home it never opened and eventualy died. My water was fine and my other zoas do great so i guess sometimes it just happens.

Check for anything messing with it...from snails to hermits. I'd also pull a colony and look for Nudi's. One nudi can make a whole colony close up for a while.

No nudi's I haven't recieved or gotten any new zoas from anyone in months. Plus I dip and inspect every one that I get. Hermit's may be an issue, but I think I only have one and he can't be everywhere at once.

If you want to go the "low testing" route, you would probably be best served by getting some "indicator corals", softies, such as Kenya Tree and Xenia. These are very sensitive to water conditions, and very often serve as very visual "early warning signs" to let you know that something is off in the water quality.

The zoas closing could also be a sign of some kind of predator or other irritation. I would check them closely and see if you see any sundial snails or nudibranchs just to make sure you don't have an infestation and bring that to the main tank.

Also, you would be best served by doing some kind of testing once a month or so, just to be sure that your parameters are in check. If you salinity is wandering dangerously off course, and the zoas may just be acting as your "early warning system" (something's eventually gotta tell you that something is wrong).

In that case, if you let the conditions continue to slide, the rest of your system can get into jeopardy. Reef-keeping can take a lot of time and effort, but a little laziness in the wrong place can cause more problems later on.

Testing will only take about 10 minutes to run 3-4 tests, and with a refractometer you can get a very exact reading of your salinity in only 30 seconds -- time well spent.

I don't like to do a lot of testing, but you have to do some, if just to get a feel for how your systems are running.

Well went and tested my water and everything came back as I expected.

pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Salinity: 1.025
Calc: 300 (Low but I haven't dosed in a while)
Alk: 8

The first time I target dosed Chromaplex in my tank I had a colony close up on me immediately and stayed closed for several days, but they have opened up and none appeared to die... Now I only dose it into power head flow vs targeting directly. I read around and discovered that sometimes they just close up for no reason, all my parms were in check so I chalked it up to the massive cloud of gunk irritating them.

thewarbrd;237760 wrote: The first time I target dosed Chromaplex in my tank I had a colony close up on me immediately and stayed closed for several days, but they have opened up and none appeared to die... Now I only dose it into power head flow vs targeting directly. I read around and discovered that sometimes they just close up for no reason, all my parms were in check so I chalked it up to the massive cloud of gunk irritating them.

And what does that have to do with me? :confused2:

LOL. Sorry, I ramble sometimes... Other people were mentioning things in the water column irritating them, just threw my $1.02 in that i've seen them close up due to things in the water they don't like, I'll shaddup now.

Just to throw this out, I have a tank full of different zoa/paly species and I had one cluster that would open normally for a while...then days would pass that they would stay closed. One night on my way to bed I happened to take a glance at the tank and saw LOTS of amphipods swarming that one small group of polyps. I still don't know why they like that one particular type, but every few days they molest it and it doesn't open again for a while.

I doubt it's the problem you have, just a story of how weird some things happen in reef tanks.

BNeal;237888 wrote: I'm having some of my zoas close up. Its a really big colony that I've had for over a year and all of a sudden almost half of them closed up. I looked on them and have not found anything on them. Some of them are kind of melting away. Everyting else looks good in the tank. Any ideas?

Steve and BNeal. Did you check the web for info on Zoa pox? They look like white spots on the polyp and can cause the same problems you are both describing. If it is Pox, you need to treat or it will spread through all the colonies. My nudis were visible when they were adults but as Barb sez they are tough to see.

Here is some info on the wet web media:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zoanthidhlthfaqs.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zoanthidhlthfaqs.htm</a>

and the cure:
[IMG]http://zoaid.com/articles004.php">http://zoaid.com/articles004.php</a>

Hope it helps. If it is this it is very treatable.
BZ

Stop being so lazy and check your params and do some more water changes :).

Back