65 AGA build

crab0000

Market
Reaction score
Here is a link to my thread on RC. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1209178">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1209178</a>
In the future I will post all updates here as well as on RC. Any questions or comments? Thanks for looking!

Looks very nice.

I'm curious about your stand though...is that enough support for that big tank? The typical DIY stand I've seen is a 2x4 frame with plywood sides. I'd be worried that the cabinet would not be able to sway to one side then collapse.

But your joins show you are skilled, so I'm sure it's all good! Nice work on those doors in the last pics.

Btw, xbol gt is "sixline"...hit me up!

Thanks for the compliments! The first stand I ever built was for a 90RR and had 4x4 corner posts with a 2x4 frame around that. :crazy: After owning and looking at a lot of comercially available stands I determined ply would be fine. As long as it's braced well ply is incredibly strong especially on edge. I am going to add some braces to the case to keep it square and help <span style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif';">alleviate and sway problems. I will also add a full bottom as well. If I am ever able to spring for an X-Box Live account I'll be sure to look you up. My name will be crab0000 there as well.</span>

Well, I got a little done this weekend. First I decided to brace the top of the stand to help keep it square.

PA132732.jpg
alt="" />

PA132731.jpg
alt="" />

I didn't get quite as much done as I would have liked, but it couldn't be due to my helpers could it?:D

PA132733.jpg
alt="" />

I finally got the trim cut and mocked up in place.

PA132736.jpg
alt="" />

I worked on cutting biscuits in the trim tonight and that seems to be a slow process. I am beginning to question my decision to eliminate as many visible fasteners as possible!

slow and steady! i rushed my first stand build and regretted it later, the longer it takes the more chances you have to make adjustments to your design and features as you go!

looking good so far!

I only have one question... Are you planning on reinforcing (sp?) the corners at all?

MattTVI;90541 wrote: slow and steady! i rushed my first stand build and regretted it later, the longer it takes the more chances you have to make adjustments to your design and features as you go!

looking good so far!

I only have one question... Are you planning on reinforcing (sp?) the corners at all?

Thanks! I usually end up rushing things and regretting it later, so I'm really trying not to do that this time. I'm not planning on reinforcing it any more, but it does now have a 1/2" bottom installed. I think that as well as the corner braces should be enough based on looking at commercial made stands.

crab0000;90589 wrote: Thanks! I usually end up rushing things and regretting it later, so I'm really trying not to do that this time. I'm not planning on reinforcing it any more, but it does now have a 1/2" bottom installed. I think that as well as the corner braces should be enough based on looking at commercial made stands.

I think it's enough too, but I used a 2x4 frame just to help me sleep at night... ;)

keep up the good work!

Well, a little progress anyway. I decided to use 1 1/2"x1/4" lag bolts to install the Luminarcs to give me a more sturdy way of mounting as well as giving me more arm room. Here's a pic of one done and the other not to show the differences.

P1193049.jpg
alt="" />

Here are both done.

P1193053.jpg
alt="" />

I now have ~5" of space between the reflector and the top of the tank.

P1193052.jpg
alt="" />

I decided the stand needed a little more reinforcement, so I added a couple of braces. I added this one to the center of the back.

P1193057.jpg
alt="" />

And added this one to the top since the front frame was bowing out just a little.

P1193058.jpg
alt="" />

I then added the bottom trim.

P1193059.jpg
alt="" />

And then the top.

P1193060.jpg
alt="" />

P1193061-1.jpg
alt="" />

I then added the side trim. In these pics I have put the doors in place to get a feeling of what it will look like.

P1193063.jpg
alt="" />

P1193064-1.jpg
alt="" />

I designed the stand and canopy to overlap the tank enough to hide the black trim.

P1193065-1.jpg
alt="" />

One small thing I did was make filler strips to go in the gap left when I installed the piano hinge on the canopy. I don't know how well you can see it in the pic, but......

P9222653.jpg
alt="" />

Here's with the filler.

P1273066.jpg
alt="" />

That's all for now. I hope to begin the finish this weekend.

Looks great. I hope you wont need any 2x's under there. But im no carpenter. lol Are you planning on staining or painting?

Thanks everyone. I'm going to stain it golden pecan. I don't think I'll need any 2x's; ply is extremely strong when the load is placed on the edge like it is. Also, I based it off a commercial stand and it didn't have any.

Thanks guys! ouling, I have to thank my late father-in-law for my skills. I worked for him for 4 1/2 years while in college doing trim and custom cabinets. I hope the finish does it justice since that's my weakest area.

Back