90 gallon build.

drnecropolis

Market
Reaction score
So, I'm back in the hobby after many many many years of being gone. I've seen some familiar names on recent posts and even BoD members.

A small handful of you might remember me from a long time ago. So, to you. Hi! Glad to see you all again, hope all is well.

To all the new guys, glad to see you all as well, hope to get to know you!

So, many moons ago, my right hand man and best friend was also a member here (CR500_AF), sadly he passed away last year. His wife graciously let me have his old 90 gallon setup. So, that's why we are here. Going to start working on it soon.

For what we have this far.

90 gallon AGA with basic canopy and stand.
Oceanic sump.
2 Mp40 powerheads (have to replace both wetsides)
Swc 160 skimmer (have to replace the atman pump)
Heaters galore.
Working on getting the apex working, brain might be toast.
Mag pump for return.
Handfull of LED lights, not sure what works yet.
Odds and ends here and there. Still have to clean stuff and all that jazz!

So, what I need help with,

What all has changed in the last few years?!? When I got out, cone skimmers were pretty new still, maybe a couple years old.

Welcome to ARC and welcome back to the hobby! So sorry the hear about your friend.
I cant tell you much about change as I'm just getting started myself but enjoying the journey so far :cool:

Welcome to ARC and welcome back to the hobby! So sorry the hear about your friend.
I cant tell you much about change as I'm just getting started myself but enjoying the journey so far :cool:
I’m right there with ya. Just got going around three years ago - March of 2018 to be exact.

The only thing I know has changed is that metal halides are no longer needed as much since the LED technology is much better. Skimmers are great. And prices have soared on livestock. Haha. And corals have 83 different names for the same species. The cooler names cost more 🤣🤣

I’m right there with ya. Just got going around three years ago - March of 2018 to be exact.

The only thing I know has changed is that metal halides are no longer needed as much since the LED technology is much better. Skimmers are great. And prices have soared on livestock. Haha. And corals have 83 different names for the same species. The cooler names cost more
Yeah, I've kinda watched things through friends they stayed in it.

The livestock prices shocked me when I first looked in the last year or so.

Included a picture of my old tank..

I don't assume you guys want to see a dirty 90, everyone has seen that.
664c0c86242d61fb7a1622a50f08771f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've kinda watched things through friends they stayed in it.

The livestock prices shocked me when I first looked in the last year or so.

Included a picture of my old tank..

I don't assume you guys want to see a dirty 90, everyone has seen that.
664c0c86242d61fb7a1622a50f08771f.jpg

We havent seen your dirty 90 Gallon though.

We havent seen your dirty 90 Gallon though.
Haha, fair enough. Lots of work to be done. The tank was dried out when I took over it. The sand had calcified to the point I had to break the top layer apart just to start scraping it.

I'm excited and ready to get it over with, but over a decade in the hobby taught me a lot of patience. So, it'll get there, when it gets there.
0fe8651280ac82e720b489c1be87a2df.jpg
9743ced7a1138bf039b510a4715fb3f6.jpg
16f2c65d5c1e603ec274b5310a31e5bd.jpg
b4fbd0e5bee3b8df5d2a71a8c4d99773.jpg
c5f235f234a6cab87d3a5e403f612f71.jpg

Break out that citric acid and get to cleaning!!
Believe it or not. It was so dry.. the stuff on the glass flaked right off. Its still hazy, I just have to get it sprayed out, can't do alone, wife isn't strong enough, so I have a friend that is going to help me with it. I have to take the tank off anyway to replace the bulkheads and pull the sump and cleaned that old girl out and see what I'm dealing with in there.

But first, gonna make sure she's square on the stand and all, fill it up.. I have had a surprise before with an old tank and leaking tanks aren't fun tanks.

My poor wife is dreading the call of "so, yeah... I bought a big tank"

Because we all know, whatever size your tank is, it's never enough..

Last tank was a 320 but total system was around 700, so I'm sure she expects that a 90 will hold me over, but it's not the biggest it's going to be..

Believe it or not. It was so dry.. the stuff on the glass flaked right off. Its still hazy, I just have to get it sprayed out, can't do alone, wife isn't strong enough, so I have a friend that is going to help me with it. I have to take the tank off anyway to replace the bulkheads and pull the sump and cleaned that old girl out and see what I'm dealing with in there.

But first, gonna make sure she's square on the stand and all, fill it up.. I have had a surprise before with an old tank and leaking tanks aren't fun tanks.

My poor wife is dreading the call of "so, yeah... I bought a big tank"

Because we all know, whatever size your tank is, it's never enough..

Last tank was a 320 but total system was around 700, so I'm sure she expects that a 90 will hold me over, but it's not the biggest it's going to be..

Oh trust me I know the addiction. I started with a bio cube 32 a few years ago. Now I have 300g in a tiny 1,500sq ft apartment in midtown 🤣

So, I'm back in the hobby after many many many years of being gone. I've seen some familiar names on recent posts and even BoD members.

A small handful of you might remember me from a long time ago. So, to you. Hi! Glad to see you all again, hope all is well.

To all the new guys, glad to see you all as well, hope to get to know you!

So, many moons ago, my right hand man and best friend was also a member here (CR500_AF), sadly he passed away last year. His wife graciously let me have his old 90 gallon setup. So, that's why we are here. Going to start working on it soon.

For what we have this far.

90 gallon AGA with basic canopy and stand.
Oceanic sump.
2 Mp40 powerheads (have to replace both wetsides)
Swc 160 skimmer (have to replace the atman pump)
Heaters galore.
Working on getting the apex working, brain might be toast.
Mag pump for return.
Handfull of LED lights, not sure what works yet.
Odds and ends here and there. Still have to clean stuff and all that jazz!

So, what I need help with,

What all has changed in the last few years?!? When I got out, cone skimmers were pretty new still, maybe a couple years old.
What's going on man? Good to see you back!
Hit me up sometime and come check out my new setup, I'm sure I've got a bunch of stuff to help you get set back up, very sorry to hear about Barry.

What's going on man? Good to see you back!
Hit me up sometime and come check out my new setup, I'm sure I've got a bunch of stuff to help you get set back up, very sorry to hear about Barry.
Wow! How you been!

Yeah, man.. its been rough.

I know Sandie and Claudia are going to finish his 300 soon.

Only things I'm really missing off hand

Pump for that swc skimmer
Couple wetsides
Sand
Salt
And I think the leds he had are toast, but I have been eyeballing getting back into the hobby for a while, Sandie just kinda sprung this on me and sped it up. So I already have ideas on lighting.

The apex is shot, but that's fine, I don't need it, ran without one for years.. I'll swap the brain whenever I get to it.

Good to see some familiar "faces"

Wow! How you been!

Yeah, man.. its been rough.

I know Sandie and Claudia are going to finish his 300 soon.

Only things I'm really missing off hand

Pump for that swc skimmer
Couple wetsides
Sand
Salt
And I think the leds he had are toast, but I have been eyeballing getting back into the hobby for a while, Sandie just kinda sprung this on me and sped it up. So I already have ideas on lighting.

The apex is shot, but that's fine, I don't need it, ran without one for years.. I'll swap the brain whenever I get to it.

Good to see some familiar "faces"

I've got some of that stuff just sitting around, been meaning to organize it and post a garage sale post. Come on over and I'll give you first pick.

So, no really good new updates.

Still continuing checking equipment and the stand and canopy.

Pulled out some dead wood in the stand. Decided right then and there, I wouldn't be using that stand.

I have a 4x2x3 assembly table in my woodshop. Going to use it, after I take it apart and replace the top and "wood" from the bottom shelf. (MDF doesn't like water). Not sure how I'm going to skin it out, but no center vertical brace and doing a pull off front held with neodymium magnets. Since the top is 6" front to back larger, I'm going to work it out to have a little finished bar top there to hold whatever I may be doing at the time.

The sides and the front are large enough where the sump could slide right out, if need be.

I got into a situation years ago with a leaking sump and the only option was to dismantle and drain the 180. Wasn't fun, never again.

There is an Oceanic sump under it that works well, kicking around the idea of using the 40b sump I picked up the other day (Thanks again Wildernets).

Bulkheads are frozen on with years of salt and rot. Can't find my channel locks, so I'm going to cut them off with a wire saw.

Took the fans out of the canopy. Actual metal housing for the fans are on there.. the lag screws holding it in are so crusted with salt and rust.. only way they come out, break them out and it will destroy the canopy. I might end up either rebuilding the canopy or just flat out building a new one. We will see how the stand goes and if I can remotely match it. If not, no big deal. I can put one together in a couple hours.

Dug more apex modules out of the stand. Brain is shot I'm pretty sure, but my man (and I can't stress this enough. Steve is one of the nicest, most caring and funny people I have ever met) scuba Steve has me covered on that. Look forward to meeting up and being with a friend I haven't seen in a very long time.

Tank is "clean". I have to take it down and rinse it out and clean the sump, but the sump can't come out with the tank on stand and I can't pick it up alone.

I have 3 Relassy led lights in my cart on amazon, along with a new refract, syphon kit and 2 mp40 wetsides on Ecotech.

Still have to go to barry's house and get

Wires, wires and more wires
40g brute full of rock
2 brute cans, one with the float for the ato
Ro unit (needs filters)
Frag tank, stand and light.
God knows what else..

Wife is going to set up the frag tank as a shallow rimless nano in her office.

That's another thread though.

Sorry I don't have any real cool updates or new pictures.

This will be a drawn out thing, but "nothing good happens fast and nothing that happens fast is good."

Where are we on test kits? What's the hot brand that's great and $80 per kit these days.. lol!

So, no really good new updates.

Still continuing checking equipment and the stand and canopy.

Pulled out some dead wood in the stand. Decided right then and there, I wouldn't be using that stand.

I have a 4x2x3 assembly table in my woodshop. Going to use it, after I take it apart and replace the top and "wood" from the bottom shelf. (MDF doesn't like water). Not sure how I'm going to skin it out, but no center vertical brace and doing a pull off front held with neodymium magnets. Since the top is 6" front to back larger, I'm going to work it out to have a little finished bar top there to hold whatever I may be doing at the time.

The sides and the front are large enough where the sump could slide right out, if need be.

I got into a situation years ago with a leaking sump and the only option was to dismantle and drain the 180. Wasn't fun, never again.

There is an Oceanic sump under it that works well, kicking around the idea of using the 40b sump I picked up the other day (Thanks again Wildernets).

Bulkheads are frozen on with years of salt and rot. Can't find my channel locks, so I'm going to cut them off with a wire saw.

Took the fans out of the canopy. Actual metal housing for the fans are on there.. the lag screws holding it in are so crusted with salt and rust.. only way they come out, break them out and it will destroy the canopy. I might end up either rebuilding the canopy or just flat out building a new one. We will see how the stand goes and if I can remotely match it. If not, no big deal. I can put one together in a couple hours.

Dug more apex modules out of the stand. Brain is shot I'm pretty sure, but my man (and I can't stress this enough. Steve is one of the nicest, most caring and funny people I have ever met) scuba Steve has me covered on that. Look forward to meeting up and being with a friend I haven't seen in a very long time.

Tank is "clean". I have to take it down and rinse it out and clean the sump, but the sump can't come out with the tank on stand and I can't pick it up alone.

I have 3 Relassy led lights in my cart on amazon, along with a new refract, syphon kit and 2 mp40 wetsides on Ecotech.

Still have to go to barry's house and get

Wires, wires and more wires
40g brute full of rock
2 brute cans, one with the float for the ato
Ro unit (needs filters)
Frag tank, stand and light.
God knows what else..

Wife is going to set up the frag tank as a shallow rimless nano in her office.

That's another thread though.

Sorry I don't have any real cool updates or new pictures.

This will be a drawn out thing, but "nothing good happens fast and nothing that happens fast is good."

Where are we on test kits? What's the hot brand that's great and $80 per kit these days.. lol!
No need to be sorry. We love the updates.

So, I can't do them with words under.. let's try this..

Here's the 40b sump.
An obscured pic of the oceanic
Pieces of dead wood from the stand
Rusted fan frames
And the bench I'm going to make into a stand.

Ignore all the mess, my family thinks the garage is a catch all.
6f0e67e659abe94fe4d78324ffb46193.jpg
69a3793eda4c0262ce8d50f10a271d65.jpg
73fea9b35c586dc6351d074dbc4741e6.jpg
093a17596bc74a54e747ae8f5cfa1c28.jpg
5784e6a2f50e653227f102bba404a4b6.jpg

Got the sump out with the help of my wife.

Had to bust the center brace in the stand to pull it out from the top. Have no idea how barry got that in, based on the brace and (rusted out) screws, he had to remove it and replace it.
70115381f9aba53cb2f5a8a404b974fc.jpg
3485f78e337f55882ce02591c1c5c53f.jpg

Ok, so, I used to have a 300 gallon build in here around the time I was president.

Those were lost and that's ok, things happen. I did find a link to my dead photobucket that has a few of the pictures.

Check it out if you would like. It's to another forum, but easier than uploaded a ton of pictures.

Back