90 gallon build.

Ok, so I'm not one to give up and I tend to get obsessed making something work.

Also, shots of the garbage impeller that came with this pump and shots of the one I want to make work. The magnet is a different size, so it wont spin the impeller. Any ideas on how to swap the needlewheel? I couldn't get it off the shaft..
55ec519ad6c0faaf816183e88e5eaf2c.jpg
7c5b39222bddfe0a78d117e411a7bc65.jpg
e348f14d7e66a4273d26f2aaafd59d7c.jpg
5282610a67034b5b9db4d8ff880df119.jpg
812312de0c6a26ff0f7c256125081060.jpg

FirSt of all.. ignore the mess in the basement. Had some friends over and their kids decided to knock everything over and all.

So, stand is almost done, have to rip the foam and underlayment for the bottom of the stand where the sump will sit.

Going to use wainscoting for sides and front, going to take a forstner bit and bore into the front brace about 1/4 inch and attach magnets so the front will essentially clip on, so I can take the whole front off for maintenance ease.
8aa25c23b354a252d3bccb1bda88bd61.jpg
091ae65490daa1abf5b9858970dbe1fe.jpg

Had to reenforce the stand a little.. I noticed it had a slight bit of racking.

Handful of new braces and recut a couple jackstuds to be a better fit and it came together.

Got the underlayment on the bottom, test fit the sump. Not sure where I'm going to run the reactor. Cut all the foam top to fit and cut it out for the overflow. Still have plumbing and skin and trim the outside and figure if I want to the front to snap on or build it out as one long accordion door.

Ignore the mess.. lots going on in the house.
f3dcf6f8df266188138c46b537c4a1e2.jpg
704b0612569dcde6d346586ddf08f260.jpg

So, issue I have ran into so far.

The sump eats up more room than I expected.. I knew it was 3' and the stand was 4'. Didn't dawn on me that it was very little room left. If you look at the inlet side of the sump (left side), I have a brs reactor that I really don't have space for, well, atleast not easy to change media and I have no room to build a control panel for all the various conteollers and apex stuff.

So, I think I am going to build another cabinet on the right hand side and use it for all that jazz.

I really hate the price of lumber right now.

Yet another issue.

Skimmer cup won't come out of the stand from the sump.. has a drain line.

Ooooooor....

I use the Classic space saving octopus my brother sent me today..

Anyone got an opinion or review of either?

One is a SWC160 and the other is a Reef Octopus 150IntSS
6b9fd0c130f7713548b905bd09d76ff9.jpg
fa4965ff8397d5c415521527ab147b82.jpg

So, I let both skimmers run in a tank of fresh saltwater for about a day.i know that it isn't going to skim anything because it's clean water, hands down the SWC has a far more dense foaming action inside the body.

I took a picture, but it looks the same in the picture, but in person the difference is very noticeable. Not to mention the SWC has a brand new pump, so there is break in time that it has to go through also.

Looks like I'm going to be figuring out where to put a drain off container.

Ok.. so, I picked up the plumbing I need to build it out.. here's my issue.

Obviously that manifold isn't connected to anything. But, it's HUGE..

Remember me saying the skimmer cup didn't come off without turning it and needing a drain.

Ok, long term.. that's not a fight I want to fight. I'm not into that. That's too much work.

So, I'm going to build the stand out 8-9" taller.

So, for now we are paused while I figure out how to get the tank back off and legs recut and studded..
9f363d9b25b35f21dc21a3b15a98790d.jpg

So, cutting and reeming all this schedule 80 (yes, I'm an idiot). While I can go downstairs and either:
A: Fix the fence on my mitre saw.
B: Cut it on the table saw, but have to change the blade.

But no.. for some reason I decided to cut it all with a fast cut pull saw. Well, boys and girls sit back and let old DrNecropolis tell you a story..

Cutting this many small fittings with a handsaw was a terrible idea, but it getting closer.. :)

Now I have to tape some threads and all to get the bulkheads attachment made and measure height from return to manifold to get that nice and leveled off.

Going to be taking the valves off for now, In my infinite wisdom, I didn't pick up any pipe straps or hangers, and while the glue is curing, I don't need all that extra weight.
d3bb1f642c35f232e18a7d44b503c218.jpg

Ok, so my luck continues.

Went to tighten the bulkheads to get this going wrapped up. Got them where I thought I was good, poured about half gallon of water into the overflow..

Leaked like a damn sieve. Start tightening the return line.. it's slowing the drip then BANG all at once it's pouring out.

Now, I've setup over a dozen tanks, and helped people with tons more. Tightening bulkheads is the scariest part for me. I know damn well, it's hand tight then half turn, but my anxiety is always high when it comes to bulkheads

First thought: great, I broke the glass.

Back it off and it's good, no cracks or anything. So, what I think happened, when I tightened it, it pulled the locline tighter into the grove in the overflow cutout, creating a larger space between the thread and nut. Honestly, I'm tired, I had to get up at 430 this morning for work and just don't feel like laying under a tank right now and troubleshooting it.

That and the foam cut out for the bulkheads is really tight, so I need to cut more of it away to get a better bite with the channel locks to tighten it.

I have all the equipment, I have all the fittings. We are at the cusp of adding rock and water.

Just tired..

-Ansley

Still short a couple fittings..

The bulkheads in the top of the inlet are 1.5"
When I went to get the last two fittings when on a whim I decided to use both inlets, I didn't have the bulkhead with me, so I have to swap the fittings out tomorrow.

Getting closer..
a5fa8ba2a18b4368778000858a653996.jpg

Still short a couple fittings..

The bulkheads in the top of the inlet are 1.5"
When I went to get the last two fittings when on a whim I decided to use both inlets, I didn't have the bulkhead with me, so I have to swap the fittings out tomorrow.

Getting closer..
a5fa8ba2a18b4368778000858a653996.jpg
Looks great man! Getting closer!

Back