About calcium

Reef Rambo

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I m using reef crystals Slat..
Calcium is too much in the tank and now big algae problems...any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1E44E666-81D1-4938-805F-F8004DD3A97A.jpeg
    1E44E666-81D1-4938-805F-F8004DD3A97A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
I've used Reef Crystals for years and haven't had any issue with calcium. @bhodges82 is correct, algae issues usually stem from nitrate/phosphate issues. Regarding the calcium levels, what are the levels in your tank? What are the level is the freshly mixed saltwater?

tank has been setup for 8 month...phosphate 0 .50 and nitrate 10 is not to off...I do water change every 3 weak about 30 percent...algae was so bad so I took out all the rock out side n put it in the sun to cure..local fish store told me that due to calcium build up so this kind a algae is growing..when I check my calcium level is 620.so I thought it’s true.
I have some coral stick on the rock but algae was so bad covering my full rock and coral also so I took all rock out in the sun to cure..coral is doing good sand bed is also not bad..just had water cahange yesterday.

Algae outbreaks like the one you are describing are usually caused by elevated phosphate in the water. When a large amount of algae is present your test levels will show less phosphate than you actually have because the algae will use it up quickly, how are you mixing your water? Are you using reverse osmosis water for mixing and top off?

Calcium level at 620 is high, with time the coral will use it up, are you dosing anything that could increase the calcium in your tank? I'm just wondering how you got up to 620ppm.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes I did dose reef scheme 2 part dosing system...just without checking my level coz I was really new to hobby n I have those so I dose..kind a stupidity...now I completely stop dosing.
Yes I use rodi water I have 5 stage from BRS...
What is the best way to control phosphate nitrate n calcium..
Should I buy more coral so calcium will consume faster...??

I would recommend doing a couple of water changes to my the calcium down. I'm not sure what kinds of coral you have, i wouldn't advise buying more coral until your parameters improve. As far as phosphate control there are several options, feed quality frozen food but not in excess, you could add a refugium with macro algae, you could use gfo in a reactor, phoshaurd in a reactor, really it's hard to say what would work for you. For myself i rely on a refugium and a small amount of gfo, i prefer to have only a refugium but it needs to be bigger to be able to use up more phosphate.

Thanks for all the info...where can I buy god??
I have pho’s guard kind a stud I got it from Petco two small packet in my refugium..
I feed only one time my fish frozen food only...
9 hr of lights....
When I put rock from main display tank in the refugium area all the algae will clear in weak or 2 I don’t know y.. please see the attachment.
Thanks

Attachments

• 4B40848D-EF35-4E7F-A227-29CB606C1646.jpeg
    4B40848D-EF35-4E7F-A227-29CB606C1646.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
It is possible that the rock itself has phosphate in it, it will continue to seap out of it for months, it is an unfortunate part of the hobby when you use old rocks. What kind of algae are you dealing with? Hair algae?

Could b I bought half old n half new rock...
Instant ocen will help to reduce calcium????
I have hair algae..see the attachment the photo was too earlier when it’s just start in tank...but after month it’s really thick highly visible..
Currently only 3 rock inside I took all rock out n put in the sun

Attachments

• 5788296F-E2F7-42D2-8927-1BD39E38B511.jpeg
    5788296F-E2F7-42D2-8927-1BD39E38B511.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
You could add some snails and crabs to help with the cleaning, unfortunately it is going to take time for the algae to go away.

Switching salt brands will not help.

Yes I feel same..I guess I have to wait...I almost feel like quitting the hobby when it’s start n looks ugly...than I gave second thought coz someone suggest me this forum n I feel let me wait atlest year let see wat hapn thanks for all the kind help

I have enough cleaning crew...actually I m confuse to glue coral on rock coz it’s hard to take out once it glued....so I m confuse wat to do???i still have rock outside I think I keep 6 more month outside.

Beginning the hobby can be frustrating, there is a lot to learn. Being able to overcome a problem like hair algae is a great reward for me, I'm sure you will be feeling pretty good when the algae starts to fade away too. I would recommend that you hang in there and the pleasure will out wiegh the pain. This forum is a great place for asking questions and learning about the hobby, there is no dumb questions here, we've all asked them at some point.

I have enough cleaning crew...actually I m confuse to glue coral on rock coz it’s hard to take out once it glued....so I m confuse wat to do???i still have rock outside I think I keep 6 more month outside.
There is no reason to keep it outside. If anything you should keep it in saltwater with a heater and a powerhead. This will help get the phosphate out of the rock, sitting in the sun won't do any good.

I would stop dosing right now + big wc + more frequent wc to bring the tank level back to normal. Make sure u get really good fresh water when u r mixing/ making new salt water. Maybe feeding less. Post some pics of your tank + sump + setup.

1. Whatever store told you your algae problems are caused by calcium has no clue what they're talking about and you should stop going there. Find a competent store.
2. Have your water tested for you. It's highly unlikely your Ca is 620.
3. Ca alone isn't telling you the complete story. You need to know Alk, pH, Mg. (none of this will really help with your algae issue, though).
4. Stop dosing and do multiple LARGE water changes. This should restore you to a baseline.

Back