Acrylic Sheet goods

donnyholland

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know were to buy sheets of acrylic? I was just wondering what it would cost to build my own sump. I would need several sheets of acrylic though.

thanks in advance,
/donny

PS: Nice meeting all of you and thanks everyone for helping me out!

Not the best price local, but lowes had 24x48 sheets (1/4" thick I believe) for around 36 bucks. They also had the same is 18x24 for $17 bucks. And they will cut it for you as well. Two sheets would build a nice 12"x36"x12" sump.

I think US Plastic is one of the better places online. Try this link
product.asp

You can get it at the same website- check it out:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21314&product%5Fid=9841">http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21314&product%5Fid=9841</a>

This is for the top of your overflow, right?

wbholwell wrote: You can get it at the same website- check it out:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21314&product%5Fid=9841">http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21314&product%5Fid=9841</a>

This is for the top of your overflow, right?[/QUOTE]

How did you know that I was going to use that to make an overflow cover?

I remember you saying on the forum that you're getting algae growth in your overflow and I suggested you cover it with something to keep the light out. You said you were thinking about acrylic but were worried about it melting. I think you'll be okay, though.

Yeah I just need to figure out how to make it. Im not that skilled with that kind of stuff.

You should be able to make a template by tracing the yop of your overflow, then glue the template onto your acrylic and cut it out (or find someone to cut it for you) with a band saw. Then glue it in place- you'll probably want to use epoxy- I'm not sure what the heat resistance of silicone is.

Check Piedmont Plastics... they have a warehouse in Atlanta.

If you're planning to build I sump I would recommend using atleast 1/2" acrylic (or thinker depending on the size of your sump). The stuff at Home Depot and Lowes doesn't have very much holding strength for a large volume of water.

tsciarini wrote: If you're planning to build I sump I would recommend using atleast 1/2" acrylic (or thinker depending on the size of your sump). The stuff at Home Depot and Lowes doesn't have very much holding strength for a large volume of water.

My inexperience showing through. You would have to create ribs for support on anything smaller than 1/2" which would be a rather large pain. He is correct and you should use 1/2" or better. Nobody wants a wet cabinet or worse an angry wife.

I would recommend just grabbing a 20, 25 or 29 gallon (maybe larger if you need it) from PetSmart. Then go to lowes and have them cut you a handful of dividers. It won't be as pretty or as fun to build, but if you needed something solid for cheap it is hard to beat.

I also like to remind people about most plastics. Melting, burning, etc plastic is a quick way to neurological damage, respiratory problems, liver and kidney failure, birth defects, and cancer. You should always work with stuff in very well ventilated areas and avoid prolonged contact to the fumes.

I tried Walmart (two different stores) and couldnt' find a single cheap tank. I know they exist at their store, but I think you have to find the right one. Probably have to avoid the supercenters.

wbholwell wrote: You should be able to make a template by tracing the yop of your overflow, then glue the template onto your acrylic and cut it out (or find someone to cut it for you) with a band saw. Then glue it in place- you'll probably want to use epoxy- I'm not sure what the heat resistance of silicone is.

I want to make it removable so I can easily clean the overflow pipes.

Straegen wrote: I also like to remind people about most plastics. Melting, burning, etc plastic is a quick way to neurological damage, respiratory problems, liver and kidney failure, birth defects, and cancer. You should always work with stuff in very well ventilated areas and avoid prolonged contact to the fumes.

Nice addition here...very important point!

I think Donny's tank is a pretty large display and would require something larger than a 20-30gal sump (but I'm assuming here).

I had a disaster once where I didn't put a drip loop in my power cords and saltwater dripped into the powerstrip and it failed to trip and it was smoldering and caught on fire in my room and I was asleep and My mom smelled it al the way downstairs and came up and thought I was dead. I was scary and burning plastic can be one of the worst things to inhale. I always mount my powerstips now.

Maroons15 wrote: I want to make it removable so I can easily clean the overflow pipes.

I would go to Lowes and pick up a rubbermaid container with the lid that is approximately the correct size. Stencil out your design on the lid then have at it with an exacto knife. It wouldn't be pretty (unless you got a pretty top ;)), but it should work and would be easy to do. Oh and it is pretty cheap.

tsciarini wrote: I think Donny's tank is a pretty large display and would require something larger than a 20-30gal sump (but I'm assuming here).

Same principal, but I would go used as tanks above 30 gallon seem to be above the loss-leader category new. I have seen a few used tanks in the 50+ variety go very cheap on the boards here.

Maroons15 wrote: I want to make it removable so I can easily clean the overflow pipes.

Oh, of course you do! How about gluing several small blocks of the acrylic about a quarter inch from the top of the overflow? Then your acrylic "shield" will rest on top of them. You could even drill through both the sheild and the blocks and secure it with screws.

wbholwell wrote: Oh, of course you do! How about gluing several small blocks of the acrylic about a quarter inch from the top of the overflow? Then your acrylic "shield" will rest on top of them. You could even drill through both the sheild and the blocks and secure it with screws.

Good Idea I like the acrylic block Idea. I don't think I'm skilled enough to cut the cover the way I need to. It cannot completely cover it because I have the pipes coming out of it. Ill try it out though. Trial and error.

Back