Anorexic Flasher Wrasse?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I have a Filamented Flasher Wrasse in my 120G that eats very well but is very thin everywhere but the belly. Has anyone seen anything like this or heard of it before? I alternate feeding Formula One flakes one day and frozen mysis and brine shrimp the other. When I feed the frozen food, I alternate between letting it soak in Vitachem and Selcon. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Bud, I havent heard of this in wrasses per se, but seems to be the symptoms of intestinal worms. Can be treated with prazipro, amongst other wormers.

Thanks, Jeremy, is that something that needs to be treated in a hospital tank? Even with a fish trap that guy is going to be hard to catch out of the 120G.

The wrasse most likely needs to be dewormed as Jeremy said. It's very common for wrasse to have worms. What I did was soak live brine in prazipro and water then fed the loaded brine to the fish. It seemed to work well. Prazi is supposed to be reef safe, but I don't trust any medication when it comes to my reef. Using this method, you don't have to dose the tank with the prazi, just feed it to the fish. So no, you don't need to catch the fish and remove it.

In regards to that, I would NOT feed prazipro to my fish. Praziquantel, can be overdosed, and this can, and has, killed fish. Furthermore, it isnt very soluble to food, so it likely just washes into the water anyway. I have ran prazipro in my reef before with no problems whatsoever. It is supposedly hard on featherduster and similar, but all mine lived through it.

If you do feed it, use it sparingly. Praziquantel is safe to use when ingested, but just be precautious about overdosing.

Back