Cucowlr?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

CedzAquAddiction;822128 wrote: Got it. Or I think I do... Gotta sink in a little...

Thinking..... The LFS is closer to work than home, so I may be able to stop by on my way to work, lunch, and on the way home to do the treatment myself. Also, at home, I only see my fish early morning, and at night... But, the LFS has many customers, and many more variables as they have an ever changing ambient environment... Gotta sleep on this one...

BTW: I like the way you put things. It makes me think... I'm a mechanical and electronic engineer by degree, but, a computer systems engineer for the Air Force by trade... Same principle, different components (I think...) Variables include density or composite of material (mechanical), or environment/security impacts (computer) of the location of which they will be deployed. What do these have in common? Environment: whether they are the environment of where the materials are made or the environment in which they are used. This means so much when it comes to the fish hobby. How the fish are collected and their ending environment can make all of the difference in success rate from fish to fish. This as well as the fish's make-up to begin with. Fixed data is only as good as the aforementioned variables...

I love/hate this hobby!!! LOL...

Thanks again, Man...

LOL. And you thought it would be a break from work. Hehehe. So many times in this hobby I have heard "you have to do this". When I hear that I ask why. If they say "because I told you so" I stop listening. LOL. Give me the data so I can decider it, manipulate it and decide on which "best" answer fits my circumstances. Of course sometimes I get it wrong. Hehehehehe

Amen to that... I guess we are gluttons for punishment. I switched from FW to SW, because FW was no longer a challenge for me. Now, I have fish changing sex, and much more chemical balance, lighting, flow, etc... to account for...

As long as I learn something new everyday in life, I feel like I'm making progress and look forward to the next day. Nobody knows it all... Including and especially myself...

Edit: Thanks for your advice, Man... It really helps. (As long as I don't over-analyze it and confuse myself. LOL)

Not sure it is my advice that is helping but more of a moral support. LOL You have already come a long way. Sometimes it can be overwelming but little by little we pick up enough to keep going. My job has taught me a couple things that help. When I look at a set of drawings that contain 600 pages and know I somehow have to come up with how much it will cost to construct it it seems impossible. Yet I know that if I take one page at a time and keep turning the page, I will eventually come to the end and have a price. Same thing with the actual construction. You can't hang the light fixtures if the roof is not on yet so why worry about that when you are putting conduit in the ground before they pour the slab. :)

rdnelson99;822146 wrote: Not sure it is my advice that is helping but more of a moral support. LOL You have already come a long way. Sometimes it can be overwelming but little by little we pick up enough to keep going. My job has taught me a couple things that help. When I look at a set of drawings that contain 600 pages and know I somehow have to come up with how much it will cost to construct it it seems impossible. Yet I know that if I take one page at a time and keep turning the page, I will eventually come to the end and have a price. Same thing with the actual construction. You can't hang the light fixtures if the roof is not on yet so why worry about that when you are putting conduit in the ground before they pour the slab. :)

+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Any recent update? Found this discussion last night and read the whole thing. Lots of good info here, sorry u are having such a rough go. I had a somewhat similar experience recently so I can relate.

Actually, there is. All fish are looking well, and about 3 days ago, I moved the two clowns, 2 firefish, two mollies, and one unknown ugly hawkfish to the DT. Those fish are doing well and the only adjustment they seem to be coping with is the sheer size of the DT, and actual live environment. I guess they got comfortable in the PVC laden QT.

Currently still in QT are the 2 triggers, 2 chromis, 1 engineer goby, and 1 neon (cleaner?) goby. Tomorrow, I will be doing a 50% water change with water from my DT to my QT because I want to ramp down the copper on them and make sure they are still healthy without copper for a week, or so before I transfer the remaining fish to DT. The fish have been in QT with copper treatment for an additional 30 days since I've added the beautiful dirty kole eye that broke out with ich, and I'm looking forward to moving the triggers to the 120g DT. They are getting restless in the 55g QT, and starting to show some signs of aggression from being cramped (even only at 4").

This QT stuff is allot of work and time, but, well worth it. I have actually weeded out 3 fish in this QT process that would've possibly lead to another tank crash in my DT (RIP). I actually had 2 fish that started off healthy, then started to show signs of sickness in QT. 1 was with flukes, and 1 was ich. The 3rd fish just didn't get along with the other tankmates (a perk of QT is seeing how fish will get along with each other before moving them to a DT with hundreds of pounds of LR that will have to be moved to rid the tank of a rogue fish.

ddaddy2420: hang in there. I can assure you, it's worth the wait. Knowing that I've done everything I can to rid my tank and livestock of ich, lets me rest at ease... Best of luck, and glad to know this thread is helping others as well as myself.

When I first started all my rock came from systems that had been running for several years so I never really had a "cycle". At least I don't think I did. Been checking ammonia and nitrates for the past 4 months and have yet to see ammonia spike. About a month into it a guy I work with was getting out of the hobby and sold me 5 fish, he had them 5 years in a 54 gallon bowfront (brown powder tang, yellow tang, coral beauty, ocellaris clown, and orange spotted goby). He never told me they had all had ick off and on until I told him they had ick a few days after I added them. I didn't start with a QT so they went straight into my display. 2 weeks later and all were dead except yellow tang and coral beauty. Anyways I am currently trying to transfer them all to my QT tank so my DT can run 10 weeks fallow. Having trouble catching the coral beauty and anthias. Yellow tang is in QT.

Im really annoyed with him because this is such a nightmare to do all of this, especially for a new guy to this hobby.

CedzAquAddiction;830930 wrote: Actually, there is. All fish are looking well, and about 3 days ago, I moved the two clowns, 2 firefish, two mollies, and one unknown ugly hawkfish to the DT. Those fish are doing well and the only adjustment they seem to be coping with is the sheer size of the DT, and actual live environment. I guess they got comfortable in the PVC laden QT.

Currently still in QT are the 2 triggers, 2 chromis, 1 engineer goby, and 1 neon (cleaner?) goby. Tomorrow, I will be doing a 50% water change with water from my DT to my QT because I want to ramp down the copper on them and make sure they are still healthy without copper for a week, or so before I transfer the remaining fish to DT. The fish have been in QT with copper treatment for an additional 30 days since I've added the beautiful dirty kole eye that broke out with ich, and I'm looking forward to moving the triggers to the 120g DT. They are getting restless in the 55g QT, and starting to show some signs of aggression from being cramped (even only at 4").

This QT stuff is allot of work and time, but, well worth it. I have actually weeded out 3 fish in this QT process that would've possibly lead to another tank crash in my DT (RIP). I actually had 2 fish that started off healthy, then started to show signs of sickness in QT. 1 was with flukes, and 1 was ich. The 3rd fish just didn't get along with the other tankmates (a perk of QT is seeing how fish will get along with each other before moving them to a DT with hundreds of pounds of LR that will have to be moved to rid the tank of a rogue fish.

ddaddy2420: hang in there. I can assure you, it's worth the wait. Knowing that I've done everything I can to rid my tank and livestock of ich, lets me rest at ease... Best of luck, and glad to know this thread is helping others as well as myself.

Been a long journey for you to be sure. But soon, you will have the satisfaction of seeing them all in the DT and knowing you did things right. In the future, you will find that when something isn't just right, you have the confidence needed to handle it without panicking. I think that is one of the biggest things we need to learn in this hobby. Just yesterday I did a bone headed thing resulting in a bit of fear that I had just nuked my entire tank. I wont go into the messy details but my point is, instead of letting the panic win causing me to do more stupid things, I waited and watched. Sure enough, everything was back to normal in a couple hours and nothing seems worse for the wear.

Edit:
ddaddy2420;830935 wrote: When I first started all my rock came from systems that had been running for several years so I never really had a "cycle". At least I don't think I did. Been checking ammonia and nitrates for the past 4 months and have yet to see ammonia spike. About a month into it a guy I work with was getting out of the hobby and sold me 5 fish, he had them 5 years in a 54 gallon bowfront (brown powder tang, yellow tang, coral beauty, ocellaris clown, and orange spotted goby). He never told me they had all had ick off and on until I told him they had ick a few days after I added them. I didn't start with a QT so they went straight into my display. 2 weeks later and all were dead except yellow tang and coral beauty. Anyways I am currently trying to transfer them all to my QT tank so my DT can run 10 weeks fallow. Having trouble catching the coral beauty and anthias. Yellow tang is in QT.

Im really annoyed with him because this is such a nightmare to do all of this, especially for a new guy to this hobby.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. Maybe I can give you a glimmer of hope. :) A lot of people may disagree with me here but this line of thought comes from one of the most trusted people on this site and I have seen it myself in my own tank.

Ich doesn't kill fish, it weakens the immune system to the point where something else will result in death. Things that would have otherwise been overcome by the fish. It is like the HIV virus in humans. In defense of your coworker, lots of fish have been through a battle with ich. Yes he should have told you but.... A fish that has won a battle with ich in many ways is much more suited to fight the battle in the future. It is like getting a flu shot. Get bit in your system and your body fights if off leaving the ability to fight off the really bad case that may be coming down the road.

I have 4 tangs in my tang. 3 have had ich. 2 of them have had it multiple times. What I have learned is that a bit of prevention goes a long way. If I am adding a new fish to the tank, I keep a very close eye on all fish for a week or two. If I see any sign that one of them may be starting to break out I immediately start feeding with Metro and Focus just to boost the immune systems and help them battle it back.

Team ARC: Just thought about something today, and it kind of makes me have a sinking feeling in my stomach. About a week ago, a friend of mine gave me some coral and 2 rocks with mushrooms on them. I posted earlier about adding coral during my fallow period, and we all agreed that it would be fine. What I didn't think about was asking if he ever had a problem with ich. All fish looked healthy when I was over at his house, so I didn't give it a second thought. So, into my DT goes the rock and coral. I go back to his house to help him with some tank maintenance, and notice that he has a hippo tang. I asked where he got it, and he said he had it for about a month, but, it has been in hiding and barely ever comes out as it had ich. I'm sure he didn't hide this fact on purpose, but, now it has me wondering whether or not there was some ich on the rock I got from him.

Have I just re-infected my tank with ich? At this point, I'm considering adding the rest of my livestock to the tank, and just monitoring them. All fish are healthy and eating like pigs. If they start showing signs of infection, I'll just treat the DT with kick ich (supposedly reef safe).

Just confused and a little discouraged at this point. Thought I took all precautions, but, may have slipped up 1 week before re-adding my livestock...

Thoughts???

Anybody: Just worried that I let my tank sit fallow to starve out all of the existing ich, and may have introduced new ich by adding rock from a tank known to have ich.

Am I just over-reacting?

Thanks, Man. I hope you are right...

For the Record: I took and effitall pill last night, and just moved all of my remaining livestock from QT to DT. They only had 3 official days to go in QT. We'll see how it goes. Time to start enjoying this hobby, right?

Tonight, it's all lights out except for the tank and Jack Daniels and Root Beer for me...

LOL. Enjoy. You earned it. :). Going to make the meeting next week? Look me up if you do. Be nice to put a face with the name.

I'm sure going to try. I hope to be in town looking for more livestock, and possibly some frags anyway. If things line up, and I'm in town, I'll see ya there...

Back