Another run at an Office Tank... Grant's 57g Rimless Build

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Taking another stab at an office tank. This will serve as both a tank to house new corals, as well as a place to monitor new fish that will ultimately end up in my tank at home. Just seemed to make the most sense that I can keep an eye on new arrivals throughout the day at the office. (That and I miss having a tank at the office...)

d2f24efd863a5d1c8df07f90aed4ca24.jpg
alt="" />

I am getting ready redo a few things on my tank at home, so some equipment that I already have will be switched over from there.

Equipment list as it currently stands:

Tank:

Deep Blue Professional 57g Rimless Edge

Stand:

Hardwood Stand built by The Wooden Edge out of Sargent, GA, picked up from Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw, GA.

Equipment:

Ecotech Marine Radion XR15 Pro (3) with ReefLightMounts.com aluminum light mounts
Ecotech Marine Vortech MP40wES Quite Drive (2)
Ecotech Marine Vectra M1 Return Pump
Ecotech Marine Radion XR15 Freshwater Fuge Light
Full Apex with WXM, ALD, AFS, and PM1 Modules
Vertex Omega 150 Protein Skimmer
Vertex RX-C 6D Calcium Reactor with Carbon Doser electronic regulator
Avast Marine Apex ready ATO and Diaphragm pump
Finnex Titanium 300w Heater
Pacific Coast/Resun Chiller
Elite Aquatics RS-24 Sump and Add-On Refugium

Will be using rock and sand from my home tank so that I should have little to no cycle time. Hopefully I can start plumbing everything up this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice and clean! cant wait to see this set up.

what I don't understand is how you get any work done?!
brand new tank, nice and clean for a fresh start.
following.

Thanks guys, yeah it can be a little distracting at times (especially right now with all of the goodies coming in daily...lol)

2aa8107350b051354bb4a2d7421401ab.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a couple shots of the sump and refugium:

ce05da2faa01a1fd87bd397ab8bc6a06.jpg
alt="" />

2a7017f6cfe15d3fc89e8632ea75d549.jpg
alt="" />

Well, had a little bit of time to get started on mounting the lights, but realized I needed a tool from home. So, started on plumbing the return manifold. Didn't get very far b4 I had to leave. Nevertheless, while getting the pump plumbed up to the sump I had an idea. Going to build a little platform/cover for the pipe and valve that is between the sump and return pump. Will be a great place to store test kits, refractometer, etc. should be able to fit a 17"x4.5-5" platform there.

a772f3076cb1bf1d7ecea0d7fb9ee077.jpg
alt="" />

eb890431ea7be2e250e80b3773dcf667.jpg
alt="" />

Went in to the office today to do a little work on the tank. Got the lights mounted. Decided to move the refugium outside the stand and put the calcium reactor and bottle inside. Got the acrylic stand/cover built to cover the return plumbing. Just need to pick up a couple fittings to plumb the chiller and refugium, then it will be off to leak testing...

b4b91af783a7ccf03e196cd87a851896.jpg
alt="" />

2c2c796132db36a6518db861cda6ee7e.jpg
alt="" />

Top down view of plumbing:

40967fc210b3e084de262e6469ead37e.jpg
alt="" />

This looks so awesome. It's great to see the "skeleton" of the system before water, sand, etc.

Looks awesome Grant. I just broke down my cube at home, and put most everything in my office tank. Gives me an excuse to slack off at work, and one less thing for me to worry about at home.

lol you and your builds... love it! Whats going on with your main DT? Haven't seen an update in awhile

K, so the Omega 150 wouldn't fit in the sump afterall... (Looks like my newer model has a little bigger footprint than the model the sump maker had.)

So, ended up picking up a new skimmer. I always hate shopping for skimmers, so I called and talked with Scott and Mike at Aquarium Specialty about different models. I was considering a BK Mini 160 & Nyos Quantum 120. After much discussion, they brought up the fact that they both sell and service the RLSS brand skimmers. They suggested a new skimmer that was debuted at MACNA, the RLSS DB6-i: http://reefbuilders.com/2015/09/09/rlss-introduces-radically-new-db5i-db6i-and-db8i-protein-skimmers/">http://reefbuilders.com/2015/09/09/rlss-introduces-radically-new-db5i-db6i-and-db8i-protein-skimmers/</a>

It is Apex Controllable and different in many ways from just about all other skimmers on the market right now. I am not sure if this will be good or bad, but figured it was worth a shot. I kinda like the idea of Apex controllability and abitilty to control the flow and air.

Turns out these are not really in-stock yet, and I ended up with the model that was on display at MACNA (kinda cool, but makes me want to clean it real well..lol).

Also, I decided to go with Geo for the CalRx and KalkRx. George made me two custom units that will fit in my stand next to the sump. I want to try both on this tank and the Vertex unit took up too much space to do so.

Nickh06;1050470 wrote: lol you and your builds... love it! Whats going on with your main DT? Haven't seen an update in awhile

The DT at home is likely going to be getting a little makeover in the flow department and I am switching back to an ATI T5 unit (don't ask why, just know that it has something to do with the Mrs.) Also, didn't like the aquascape, so this will give me a chance to tinker with it some more.

ghbrewer;1051291 wrote: The DT at home is likely going to be getting a little makeover in the flow department and I am switching back to an ATI T5 unit (don't ask why, just know that it has something to do with the Mrs.) Also, didn't like the aquascape, so this will give me a chance to tinker with it some more.

T5 FTW!!!:shout:

Here's a shot of the skimmer in place and the Apex ready controller for the skimmer pump:

9378182e4452e613bbb3a907c3f3bc5d.jpg
alt="" />

4cfb17717c9365becf1f69c3c0dbb906.jpg
alt="" />

The Waveline DC 4000 is super tiny. Really surprised by its size...

Leak test underway...

Only one small leak so far coming from the drain line that's coming from the fuge.

b22c1611a62c0bcac2eff98ffc1b9083.jpg
alt="" />

Drain tubing must have a bad weld at the coupler.

I picked up grants old 57 rimless. Now having seen grants new build for his office tank I am completely in awe of this setup. My plans for his old tank are embarassing compared to this build. This one should be labeled "how to do things right!" Nice job, tagging along for updates to this one. Bob

Back