Anyone have experience with NaNO3?

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I'm considering dosing it for a while to get some kind of no3 in the tank for the sps.
I feed as much as I feel I can. The fish can't stomach anymore, but I can't get levels detectable.

Where do you purchase such a compound?

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/potassium-nitrate-spectracide-stump-remover-dosing-steps.215730/&ved=0ahUKEwj3zuLv5t_NAhXE4yYKHWRTAYwQrAIIIigCMAA&usg=AFQjCNHL5xmuw-winJriT2icN_JSxSbscA&sig2=R-lEMziOCZbPO8_ie7XyrA">https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/potassium-nitrate-spectracide-stump-remover-dosing-steps.215730/&ved=0ahUKEwj3zuLv5t_NAhXE4yYKHWRTAYwQrAIIIigCMAA&usg=AFQjCNHL5xmuw-winJriT2icN_JSxSbscA&sig2=R-lEMziOCZbPO8_ie7XyrA</a>

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's what I've used in the past. If I'm not mistaken it's got it from lowes

from what I understand though... the potassium also goes up with that... and it takes a LOT more sodium to be detrimental to your tank than potassium...

B

Adam from battle corals uses sodium nitrate for this reason

Interesting. I've read several pretty lengthy threads on it. The before and after pics are crazy and the before pics look JUST like some of my animals. Sigh

I am a firm believer in keeping nutrients in the tank. Ever since I stopped chasing nutrients my sps actually live and stay colored up!

I've used the stump remover as well and it does work with no bad side effects. Be warned it is very potent. Only requires a little to raises levels to a good range

I ordered 5 lbs of NaNo3 haha. I figured I could share if someone wanted to experiment after I figure things out.
Reagent grade too.

MorganAtlanta;1091289 wrote: Just ordered some as well. I'm going to see if I can get phosphate down by adding a little nitrate.
What are your nitrates and phosphates?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... Why can't you get any detectable no3?

And I'm guessing no matter what you do your phosphates won't come down?

The food input into the tank has nitrate and phosphate in a certain ratio. Even though the majority of the NO3 and phosphate in my system are removed by my ATS with the same ratio, some portion of NO3 is removed by anaerobic bacteria, which leaves PO4, so the PO4 level grows over time. Even running GFO and 20% weekly water changes, I'm having relatively high phosphate. Because my ATS is oversized, I think I could grow even more algae if I had more nitrate, and this would take care of the excess phosphate. I'd also like to have a little detectable nitrate for the corals. I'm not really trying for an ultra-low nutrient system.

Through process of photosynthesis you need nitrates to process the phosphates and vice versa. I had a similar situation in my tank and dosing nitrates dropped the phosphates to within reason and as long as I maintain nitrates between 2-5 without having to use gfo(not a fan).

MorganAtlanta;1091301 wrote: .... NO3 and phosphate in my system are removed by my<u> ATS</u> with the same ratio, some portion of NO3 is removed by <u>anaerobic bacteria,</u> which leaves PO4, so the PO4 level grows over time. Even running GFO and 20% weekly water changes, I'm having relatively high phosphate. Because my ATS is oversized, I think I could grow even more algae if I had more nitrate, and this would take care of the excess phosphate. I'd also like to have a little detectable nitrate for the corals. I'm not really trying for an ultra-low nutrient system.

This is what I was wondering. I hadn't really put it together that no3 and po4 are consumed in proportion to each other by the ATS, so excess p04 in the absence of no3 can't be consumed by the ats.

Sorry snow if I'm hijacking...

I've done two 10% water changes between some of these tests over the last two weeks. My ATS is not very well established yet and I'm still skimming. I'll need to look for no3 being undetectable and then po4 even possibly rising to tell me to stop skimming? Then I'd be in the situation in this thread, where I'd be looking to possibly add no3? Is it not better to add nh3 directly? Doesn't the ATS work better with that way? Or is it not worth the risk?

Screenshot_2016-07-14-22-31-55_zpsr84elchi.png
alt="" /></a>

Directly adding nitrates is definitely a safe way to maintain detectable nitrates(it's also very controlled) or you can just add more fish incrementally until your nitrates maintain on there own. I'm mean come on...who doesn't want more fish right?

Adding more fish and food won't help the phosphate issue because it will just add more phosphate in the same ratio. There has to be some process to remove the phosphate that is in excess to the ratio due to the nitrate removed by bacteria converting it to N2. Most people use GFO for this these days, but since I could theoretically handle more N03 in my system, I might have another (cheaper and easier) path.

Back