Anyone have experience with NaNO3?

I personally don't bother with phosphate control. Yea I may have some algae but my livestock sure loves to take care of that for me. But yes that's why I say dosing nitrates is more controlled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MorganAtlanta;1091289 wrote: Just ordered some as well. I'm going to see if I can get phosphate down by adding a little nitrate.

I could have shipped you some . I have 5 lbs ha.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

The food input into the tank has nitrate and phosphate in a certain ratio.

I think it's something like 16 nitrate to 1 phosphate.... was reading up on carbon dosing again.

Redfield ratio 106-C:16-no3:1-po4

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How's the dosing going? Is your phosphate coming down yet?

MorganAtlanta;1091621 wrote: NaNO3 Hasn't arrived yet, then I'm going on vacation starting Wednesday, so I'll start when I get back.

I'll tell you this... it takes VERY little haha.
I can do the math when I get home. But I did figure out how much to add to 100 total gallons to raise it by 1 ppm according to my Red Sea Pro Test Kit.

Nice. Can I see some pictures of your ATS and of the algae itself, please? I want to see what I'm looking for to tell it's "mature" enough to decide I need to do something like this.

I'm sitting at .08 po4 and 4 no3 through 10% weekly water changes. My ats is pretty new though and I just got the the back side lit the other day.

Are there not foods that are higher and lower in phosphate?

There are foods without *added* phosphate, but all foods are inherently going to have an N:p ratio of roughly 16. Sometimes additional phosphate is added as a preservative. Your ATS will likely take a couple months to really mature.

Yeah, I know it's going to take a while.

Doesn't that mean as long as you're not adding food that has added phosphate that the ration that they go in is the same ratio that the ats removes them?

Yes, but the bacteria in your live rock and sand bed also remove nitrate, but only nitrate, and not phosphate, so you end up with extra phosphate.

Sewer Urchin;1091624 wrote: Please share

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

So I use a measuring spoon I had from a Red Sea test kit. The spoon says 0.15cc. I dosed 4 of these spoons. So I guess that's .6 cc.

Here is the NaNo3 and the spoon
2b5f4ce5bad8a59c2918e569948be71b.jpg
alt="" />
b94176262c6cfd1abf6f62477bba73d0.jpg
alt="" />

So far my results have been very positive. I have managed to maintain 2ppm NO3 in the system. I've been testing daily at this point.
Colors are .... Well they are actually a lot better.
And for the first time in 12 years of reefing I have coralline algae popping up haha.

Also for the record, and to add to the above discussion, my PO4 isn't detectable w Red Sea pro. I do use a little gfo which I replace once a month.

Here's my water hanging out at 2ppm. Remember! We keep water parameters! The corals just live there.
1e3cf6ea878dda1e306bdbe706a8ebfe.jpg
alt="" />

In just days of 2ppm you've seen a color improvement over years? ? And in days coralline shows up? ? Wow

Danh;1091724 wrote: In just days of 2ppm you've seen a color improvement over years? ? And in days coralline shows up? ? Wow

Actually . Yes
Keep in mind there are a LOT of other husbandry things I am diligent about and have been doing a long time.
I didn't even have coralline in my last 120 that was up so long ha. It was also a low nutrient environment. Not on purpose... That's just how my tanks pan out.

If you're reading this tread please keep in mind I'm just EXPERIMENTING with this right now. I'm not preaching that this is a cure all in any way shape form or fashion, however it COULD be a missing link for some who otherwise have most of the puzzle completed and run their systems in a similar way.

What do you think it is about your systems that keep them so low nutrient?

Danh;1091728 wrote: What do you think it is about your systems that keep them so low nutrient?

Maybe high flow? Possibly water changes.... Low bio load? I'm not sure.
This tank is also BB at this point so there's NO sand bed detritus .

Back