Anyone purchase arches/caves that they'd recommend

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
I have a brand new Red sea 170 and I am trying to think of some cool aquascapes. I'm not the craftiest person admittedly, and would love some inspiration. I'm considering just buying some caribsea shapes and calling it over and done.

This is my other tank also with mostly all Caribsea shapes.

Attachments

• 4E9AE4C7-5C11-4310-AA5E-A8E259F6BCB2.jpeg
    4E9AE4C7-5C11-4310-AA5E-A8E259F6BCB2.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 46
Lol you know what, I think I'm just gonna go for it and give it a try. Do you think 40 lbs would be enough for a build with plenty of arches and caves?
Probably! It’s always good to have a lot of choices though because of course different pieces fit differently together.

I found it was way cooler to use smaller pieces versus giant pieces. It also makes it a little bit more random.

I love the Caribsea arches, but I'd recommend buying them locally. I ordered some online and ended up receiving a box of rubble. UPS was not kind to the stuff and the Caribsea packaging was crap-- a little bubble wrap around the outside, but none around the individual pieces.

They will all turn purple even if you use plain white rock, consider it a head start o colouring up.
Dave! Do you still have that little pico reef you set up a while back? Would love to see a progress thread if it still exists.

Wanted to share my experience with the life rock...I thought they were great building the scape in my rsr350. This is what 3 boxes of the shapes looked like and how it turned out. You can get pretty creative with how you use the rocks to make caves/arches..20220402_195132.jpg
20220411_083302.jpg

Reef in progress
20230702_115918.jpg

The baking soda and super glue 1st made it way easier though, then coating with the reef cement stuff and allowing to dry as a 2nd stage.

* I still have a bunch extra of the life rock/real reef stuff if anyone is interested and it is what I used too!

it is expensive though... like everything lol!

The baking soda and super glue 1st made it way easier though, then coating with the reef cement stuff and allowing to dry as a 2nd stage.

* I still have a bunch extra of the life rock/real reef stuff if anyone is interested and it is what I used too!

it is expensive though... like everything lol!
So would would you suggest reef cement is mandatory, or would copious amounts of super glue and occasional epoxy suffice?

So would would you suggest reef cement is mandatory, or would copious amounts of super glue and occasional epoxy suffice?
diff folks say diff stuff lol! The baking soda/super glue seems to work well with using sand as well, but not sure if I'd trust it by itself depending on size/weight...

Back