Anyone switch from Vortechs to the Jebao WP series?

redstang

Market
Reaction score
All the ongoing talk about the Jebao WP's is making me wonder of I should jump ship from the Vortech bandwagon that I am happily on. Has anyone made the switch or tried the Jebao and stuck to the Vortech? I love the lack of wires in the tank with my vortechs and that's probably my biggest impediment to making the switch.

But, as I sit here looking at my now non-leaking leak test 60 cube I'm wondering if I couldn't get creative with wire management to hide them effectively. A used MP40 will cost me at least $250 and likely $300 plus. 2 WP25's or 1 WP25 and 1 WP10 would cost maybe $100-$150. I could also sell my vortechs and WXM freeing up a module slot on my Apex Jr.

I love my MP10's that I have now but am starting to question if they're really worth it.

Thoughts?

I love my wp-25 , very nice unit. I can't speak about the mp's because I would never pay that much for a powerhead.

I had 2 mp40s on my 180 and switched to 2 wps.
1. Cost
2. Not loud like my mps
3. I can point them anywhere i wanted.
just my op.

I have both on my tank. I started with my wps then added the mp, the mp is the loudest thing on my tank. I can hear it over my skimmer and return pumps and sometimes over my overflow if I don't adjust it correctly.

Interesting to hear about the noise. My MP10's are pretty quiet but they're also small. Also, on my new tank between the dc pump and the RO NWB110 skimmer I can barely tell it's running. With the stand door open lol!

Thanks for the feedback so far!

those new powerheads have been out a while now, so what's the verdict...

can i control them with APEX? can they be controllable at all?

What about build quality ?

How are they holding up to constant use.

B

SnowManSnow;927769 wrote: those new powerheads have been out a while now, so what's the verdict...

can i control them with APEX? can they be controllable at all?

What about build quality ?

How are they holding up to constant use.

B

I like them

Yes, with a reef angel cable. Neptune is partnering with Jebao to make wp's that are compatible out of the box.

No complaints on the build other than the frequent cleaning they require.

I just stuck a WP25 on my 90, going to order another one to replace two maxijet 1200's on the other side of the tank. The 25 moves a lot of water and I really like it. I also like that I can aim it wherever I want.

I will say one thing in the vortechs favor is while it isn't aimable it has such a wide flow pattern that it really doesn't need to be aimed IMO.

I'm a die hard vortec fan. I love their pumps. Yes price sucks but there pumps are amazing

I recently purchased 2 wp-40's, I placed one on my 180 fish only and one on my 110 reef. One will be PLENTY on my 180 and I had to take the one out of my 110 because my softies hated the ridiculous flow. But they are very quiet and are built very well. Any chance anybody knows how to cut back the power on these even more then the controller it comes with? Great pumps though and the "else" mode is awesome.

Both pumps move a ton of water.

The Vortech's are a lot more precise, (i.e 12 speed settings vs. 3, it also has more modes)
The wireless vortechs also have the ability to communicate with each other, so they can run any of the modes in addition to sync or anti-sync.

The Jebao's may have this ability but it would only if it was ran through a reefangel or apex. I'm not real sure about this one because I use neither controller.

Following the conversation. Trying to decide on buying 2 wp25s or 40s for my 120 sps heavy. I have the reef angel so I plan to code it to mimic the v ortech modes. Im worried a bit about too much flow or the bulkiness of the 40s. I guess I'm leaning towards the 25s, but its hard to pass up on the extra power of the 40s for just a few bucks more.

What do u guys think?

I owned 2x vortech mp10 on my previous 65gallon set up. But now I have 2x wp-40 on 120 gallon set up. Im going to get one more wp-40 for my sps's :) I forgot when I moved to 120 but these pumps are well made. Didn't have any problems to today. Knock on wood~

I have an MP10 and bought WP25 to try it out. The WP 25 was chump change compared to the Vortech. I will never buy a Vortech again.

It is like buying a Squier classic vibe guitar for 350 or paying 5x more a Fender strat. Sure the Fender sounds a bit better and says Fender on the headstock, but 5x as much better?

I have 2 MP10 and 2 WP25 as back ups and currently using the 25's to cycle a new set up.

No, I wouldn't use the 25's in place of my cordless Vortech. The Sync and modes on Vortech are priceless to remove extra food and debris from the tank. Plus cords are an eye sore!

Edit:
SleepyReef;927870 wrote: I have an MP10 and bought WP25 to try it out. The WP 25 was chump change compared to the Vortech. I will never buy a Vortech again.

It is like buying a Squier classic vibe guitar for 350 or paying 5x more a Fender strat. Sure the Fender sounds a bit better and says Fender on the headstock, but 5x as much better?

However, this statement is true!

Edit:
Kirkwood;927864 wrote: Following the conversation. Trying to decide on buying 2 wp25s or 40s for my 120 sps heavy. I have the reef angel so I plan to code it to mimic the v ortech modes. Im worried a bit about too much flow or the bulkiness of the 40s. I guess I'm leaning towards the 25s, but its hard to pass up on the extra power of the 40s for just a few bucks more.

What do u guys think?

I think buy 3 or 4 25's instead of the 40's.

Jason, don't you have a rimless cube?

You do realize that with the Jebao pumps you will have a cord going over the edge down into the tank. For this reason alone, I wish I had/could afford vortechs

JDavid;927915 wrote: Jason, don't you have a rimless cube?

You do realize that with the Jebao pumps you will have a cord going over the edge down into the tank. For this reason alone, I wish I had/could afford vortechs

I do realize that and will have to account for that. There are trade offs for everything though. In the end, I KNOW that 2 mp10's won't be enough flow. An mp40 is $300 or so used. If the wp series can care for my stock just as well I can't see justifying that amount of money.

RedStang;927921 wrote: I do realize that and will have to account for that. There are trade offs for everything though. In the end, I KNOW that 2 mp10's won't be enough flow. An mp40 is $300 or so used. If the wp series can care for my stock just as well I can't see justifying that amount of money.

I think there is a mp40 in the classifieds for $285

Back