Bleaching of the Blue Tort

what test kit r u using for phosphates? Only dd merk, elos, hack, or colormeter will detect low enough. It sounds like that is just one of your issues. I doubt phates will cause rtn, however. Still, u should get that issue resolved. Red bugs, missing fish, algae, rtn, low ph, low calc, & temp is a little low

What alk kits r u using? Also, you could have a spike in ammonia? From the fish? Man, that sucks. Hummm. What test kit are u using for trates?

I think you have done the right thing. When I was first starting to keep SPS my Phosphates were through the roof. I didn't even know to check for them. (Amazing how quickly you learn in this hobby[Through great forums like this one]) My Bennet Tort was RTNing bad and I had already lost several other SPS in my feeble attempt. I finally checked the Phos and ran sponge for a month, changing it enery week., The tort was saved and my growth is much better now in the 220. The afore mentioned Tort has regrown down back over itself! I now frag whenever I see a problem. Sometimes the mother colony is saved, sometimes not but the new colonies are assured through the fragging. GOOD LUCK!
Scott

R.I.P. the entire colony is gone in about 72 hours. I fragged off multiple pieces, put them in different locations in the tank and treated them seperately all died out the same way. Completely white.

Not sure what caused it. Tank params are all still stable and all fish are accounted for (found the others today). As for the questions:

what test kit r u using for phosphates? Not sure what Danny uses, but I use a Salifert.

Only dd merk, elos, hack, or colormeter will detect low enough. It sounds like that is just one of your issues. I doubt phates will cause rtn, however. Still, u should get that issue resolved. Most of the commercial test kits can't detect low phosphates, but they can usually catch the spikes. I have no spikes that I can detect.

Red bugs None detected on any of the coral or parts pre or post death

missing fish Accounted for but they were too small to have any real effect on my tank.

algae my algae problems are less than most tanks I have seen and not out of the norm for my tank

low ph my ph is not low. Anything between 7.8 and 8.4 is totally fine in a reef system. Mine hovers around 8 most of the time.

low calc 400 would be better but I have never heard of a coral bleaching or RTNing at 350ppm

low temp 77.X is spot on for my tank for this time of year. I run my temp and lighting seasonal. For the area that I have modeled my reef on, 76.5 to 77.5 is perfect.

What alk kits r u using? I use Salifert for the first and Seachem for the second.

Also, you could have a spike in ammonia? I use an ammonia badge in the tank that measures the highest ammonia ever detected in the tank. It has never risen above safe. I manually tested using Salifert and Seachem.

What test kit are u using for trates? Same. Salifert for the first test and Seachem for the second.

My tank is also biweekly checked by Danny. My alk sits around 8-9dkh while my calcium is usually around 400ppm in his tests. I don't think he has ever measured nitrates, nitrates, ammonia in my tank.

Very strange. This sucker just turned white practically overnight. Every other coral is doing great and I am getting amazing polyp extension from some recent frags from Rits tank and a slimer that was right above this coral. Really freaky.

That's exactly what happened to your stag colony; unexplainably rtn'd. Something is wrong that we're missing; you just don't lose 2 colonies for no reason.

I had exactly this same thing happen to a monti cap a month or so ago. Started with a spot the size of a nickel when I first saw it, and was 2" around the next day. I fragged it, and all the frags were dead 2 days later.

Alk was a bit low, but all other parameters were fine. No problems before or since with anything else in the tank--including a couple of monti frags that were next to the problem one.

Still don't know what happened....

I'm just trying to give you some help, so if you could be a little "open minded" about what you have posted already.
What I am saying is that you are low on calc, but if your test kit is way off, too, then you might be at 280. If your alk is off, your phosphates are high, your nitrates are high, your ph a little ow, your temp on the border then RTN!
So hear me out, please.......................................

I realize that calc at 350 isn't going to rtn your tort, however, Salifert test kits have been way off the mark. Seachem, too.

I had 2 Salifert alk kits that measured the same sample at 10.2 and 12.8. Then Habib sent me a kit with a reference solution that measured totally different. That measured the 6.5 reference solution at 7.0. So that's fine for a while until the same kit measures the same reference solution a month later at 7.8! I always disliked API due to the lack of consistent results with nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, but that's what I use now for Alk. I have my water tested by AWT monthly for 22 bucks due to Salifert. This way, I get a little independent check. When Salifert measures my calcium at 420, AWT measures it at about 340. I realize that their will be precipitation in the mailing, but it shouldn't be that much.

Phosphates in the water column shouldn't be no more than 0.024. Like I said, only DD merk, Hach, Elos, & colormeter will measure that low. Twice now, phosphates have wreaked havoc on my tank. I was told it was my lights, my flow, my alk, my calc, whatever, it was phosphates at over 0.024. Nitrates shouldn't be high either.

Eric Borneman:

There are relatively few tropical coral reefs that are in the 70's except perhaps slightly more subtropical ones during winter or those that happen to exist in areas of persistent upwelling or colder currents. Few of the animals, especially corals, are collected from these areas. Temperatures on the reefs where are animals are collected are generally always above 80 and generally below 88. Daily swings of from 0-12 degrees F are not uncommon and can happen several times a day. Temperature is truly not one of the things to worry about in tanks unless you can say what strains of zooxanthellae are present, where the corals were collected from, what species (and thus their environmental sensitivity), synergistic stresses (as corals do well near their upper thermal limits) and to ensure that temperatures do not exceed, say, 90F for extended periods of time. A swing from mid70's to 90 (for example, a heater malfunction) that lasts for a day will probably cause problems for some animals if they are acclimated to a constant temperature. The problems with losing animals from temperature related events is what happens when they die in a closed system and most of the mass tank losses from such events is probably not a direct result of high temps alone. But, I also feel that given the multitude of things that can go wrong in tanks and the fact that they are tanks without the inherent variability of the ocean, that pushing temps to the upper limit where they might be happiest in the wild may not be ideal in tanks. So, I think 82-84 is right where you have some safety margin in upper thermal limits and within the range where most tropical reef corals and those collected for the trade do best.

Johnathan Bertoni:

I target 82 F as the base temperature for my tanks. I haven't seen any reason to go lower for a tropical reef tank. I agree with Eric's analysis. There's a lot of studies in this area, if you want to do some research.

Hobby Experience: 8 years
Interests: martial arts, reefs

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php</a>

Ralph

mysterybox;114416 wrote: I'm just trying to give you some help, so if you could be a little "open minded" about what you have posted already.
Not sure what this is in reference to in my previous post, but I was just answering your questions with my own commentary.

mysterybox;114416 wrote: So hear me out, please.......................................
Well I was listening and answering your questions. I don't think you actually made a point that I refuted. You asked questions I answered them to the best of my ability. So.... please... don't get in a huff.... I will hear you out.... really.... I am listening. Make your points. I may not agree with them, but don't take it personal.

mysterybox;114416 wrote: What I am saying is that you are low on calc, but if your test kit is way off, too, then you might be at 280. If your alk is off, your phosphates are high, your nitrates are high, your ph a little ow, your temp on the border then RTN!
This can be true depending on the situation you are highlighting, but I checked against two tests and I ran each test twice making it four seperate readings. Danny was by today and backed up my readings with the exception of alk which was even lower but I haven't dosed anything since the last reading so it is to be expected.

mysterybox;114416 wrote: I realize that calc at 350 isn't going to rtn your tort, however, Salifert test kits have been way off the mark. Seachem, too.
I calibrate any new tests to my previous tests and I get independant tests done by others. Plus if it was one of my tests and my alk was 2dkh more than one coral would have RTN'd.

mysterybox;114416 wrote: I had 2 Salifert alk kits that measured the same sample at 10.2 and 12.8. Then Habib sent me a kit with a reference solution that measured totally different. That measured the 6.5 reference solution at 7.0. So that's fine for a while until the same kit measures the same reference solution a month later at 7.8! I always disliked API due to the lack of consistent results with nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, but that's what I use now for Alk. I have my water tested by AWT monthly for 22 bucks due to Salifert. This way, I get a little independent check. When Salifert measures my calcium at 420, AWT measures it at about 340. I realize that their will be precipitation in the mailing, but it shouldn't be that much.
I think three tests done by two people using three kits is enough of a cross reference. If more than one coral was in distress, I would be far more skeptical of my readings. My other corals are doing very well some outstanding.

mysterybox;114416 wrote: Phosphates in the water column shouldn't be no more than 0.024. Like I said, only DD merk, Hach, Elos, & colormeter will measure that low. Twice now, phosphates have wreaked havoc on my tank. I was told it was my lights, my flow, my alk, my calc, whatever, it was phosphates at over 0.024. Nitrates shouldn't be high either.
Phosphates could be in the water column but neither test kicked out a measurable level. You are correct that I could have phosphates but they are likely too low to be a bother. Plus it likely takes a pretty high concentration of phosphates to cause an acro to RTN/bleach overnight. Nitrates are fine in the tank again compared to three seperate tests.

mysterybox;114416 wrote: There are relatively few tropical coral reefs that are in the 70's except perhaps slightly more subtropical ones during winter or those that happen to exist in areas of persistent upwelling or colder currents. Few of the animals, especially corals, are collected from these areas. Temperatures on the reefs where are animals are collected are generally always above 80 and generally below 88. Daily swings of from 0-12 degrees F are not uncommon and can happen several times a day. Temperature is truly not one of the things to worry about in tanks unless you can say what strains of zooxanthellae are present, where the corals were collected from, what species (and thus their environmental sensitivity), synergistic stresses (as corals do well near their upper thermal limits) and to ensure that temperatures do not exceed, say, 90F for extended periods of time. A swing from mid70's to 90 (for example, a heater malfunction) that lasts for a day will probably cause problems for some animals if they are acclimated to a constant temperature.
Temp is rarely the cause of these problems unless there was a massive shift and your own quote shows it. I had no temp shift (measured by two recording instruments and one visible mercury therm).

mysterybox;114416 wrote: that pushing temps to the upper limit where they might be happiest in the wild may not be ideal in tanks. So, I think 82-84 is right where you have some safety margin in upper thermal limits and within the range where most tropical reef corals and those collected for the trade do best.
First, the region my reef is modeled after really does have 77 degree oceans this time of year. Second, lower temps means slower metabolisms which generally mean things can't go wrong as quickly. The higher the temp the faster things tend to happen. Lastly on my list, it is usually a temp swing that is the problem and according to at least two measurements that didn't happen (one in the sump and one in the main display). This coral has been sitting in 77 degree water for over a year with no problems.

I have read the research on temps and have looked up the standing temps in a variety of regions for December and I run with the one that makes the most sense to me. My tank varies from 76.5 in the winter to 79 in the summer. Regardless of your opinion on target temperature, that number is very acceptable in a tank.

I am not trying to be argumentative or beligerent here. I am just pointing out my own opinions on these subjects. I don't believe it is a failure to test an obvious param. I personally think it is a toxin or disease... possible a bacteria.

Cameron;114395 wrote:

low calc 400 would be better but I have never heard of a coral bleaching or RTNing at 350ppm.

That will depend on how long the tank was at that level, I think I remember the tort when I saw your tank, couple of weeks ago. It did look healthy to me. Are you using PE mysis? If so, How is your skimmers performance? I know it just kills the foam pretty bad.

Cameron;114542 wrote: Not sure what this is in reference to in my previous post, but I was just answering your questions with my own commentary.

Well I was listening and answering your questions. I don't think you actually made a point that I refuted. You asked questions I answered them to the best of my ability. So.... please... don't get in a huff.... I will hear you out.... really.... I am listening. Make your points. I may not agree with them, but don't take it personal.

I am not trying to be argumentative or beligerent here. I am just pointing out my own opinions on these subjects. I don't believe it is a failure to test an obvious param. I personally think it is a toxin or disease... possible a bacteria.

no huff here..........sorry..........my writing comes across too "animated"! My point was that maybe you are just checking off items on my list as done (like a task).....instead of looking at your results with a fresh clean slate and some "new eyes". That's where the "open minded" comment came from. I have had issues (we all have) before, and what the answer has always been was always right in front of me!

Well, let's see.........humm......temp.......I agree that the temp didn't cause rtn (most likely), however, a lot of parems on or over the border together could cause an issue. If alks low, calcium low, temp low, etc, it could make some corals more susceptible to infection. Kinda like a child person getting a cold versus a very healthy 25 year old adult.

anyway, give us an update if something changes!

My parems are as follows:
with salifert calc I am at 470 & api alk at 11.0.
temp 82
phosphates <0.024 (dd merk)
trates < 0.5
salt 35
mag 1300

A few notes on a variance with liquid test kits. Kits are made to be performed in a very specific way. Straying from manufacturer recommedations will result in inaccurate results.

1. The reagent bottles must be held vertically to assure a proper drop size.
2. The drops must be allowed to fully form before dropping from the tip of the bottle. If you squeeze the drops out quickly you will end up with smaller drops of reagent.
3. Use an appropiate sample size. An error 1mL will skew the results by 20% in most test kits.
4. Time the steps to their full length. Certain reactions have to occur in some test kits i.e. calcium kits must fully percipitate magnesium, otherwise giving a false high result.
5. Routinly bleach out your test vials in a 1:20 (bleach:water) ratio, allow to air dry.

I have run a rediculous number of tests over the past 7 years using many different kits including powders, sticks, and liquid reagents. I use the API test kits because of their continued accuracy. I replace the full set at yearly and test against other kits to assure accuracy. I've tested the API Calcium kit to be accurate within 10ppm* against Seachem Calcium Reference, which is accurate within 5ppm(although I'd say up to 8ppm due to Sr interference).

I do fully agree with you on trying to measure total phosphate, but Cameron does make a great point that it allows you to catch spikes.

*Although the margin of error on API is 20ppm due to the 1drop/20ppm ratio, a double sample volume allows you to decrease the margin.

I am not doubting your testing skills by any means. I am humbled by any advice on testing any parem. Trust me. I was going on my personal experience (and many other reefkeepers) that have had trouble lately with certain test kits. I know that kits are not going to be lab grade for 15 bucks. I think the api alk kit is great. I have no memory of using api on calc. I do know that Habib, the owner of salifert in Holland, told me that my test kits were screwed up. He did send me a new kit, but after a month of further testing, I felt like that kit was off too. I could no longer trust his alk kits. I found that api was incredibly off on ammonia, phosphates, & nitrates. plus they were hard to read. I use Salifert mag & calc, but through an independent lab, they state that my calc is off about 80 from salifert.
I can measure my water for phosphates 24-7, and it tests at 0.024 or below in the water column. This is what should be measured. I use dd Merck that I confirmed with a hach kit that I gave to Jessy. I spoke with the USA DD Merck rep to instruct me on how to measure phosphates accurately.
my whole point was to make sure your values are more in the middle range, as opposed to the borders of parems in case the kits are off.
I have also spoken with Jesse Sire of Elos USA on testing kits.
I am just trying to think of anything that Cameron might have missed that caused his RTN.
I am positive that you are much better testing any parem than I am.
What do you think happened to his corals?

Everything is great so far... just that one coral bit it. Other corals have great polyp extension. Course this one had good extension right up till it died. I had Danny do the normal 30g-ish water change and test. Everything was OK, but alk was lower than my last test and nitrates were up which I expected as I had a couple tiny dead fish I recently removed. Haven't dosed over the holidays so I expected it and I am in the process of jacking alk up slowly. Replaced RO/DI filters and UV bulb. I also dumped a container of not so good smelling RO water that I was using for top off which might have been something. I decided last night to go ahead and install direct RO/DI top off which runs 30 minutes every couple hours through the day so hopefully bad RO won't be a problem going forward and with the RO/DI filter changes diatoms should drop way down.

The theory as it stands is the snails removed too much reef algae too quickly and that caused some unknown imbalance in the system such as an iodine spike. The amount of reef algae that was consumed in a period of 3-4 days was astonishing and some waste had to be leaked in the tank. To further this thought, my skimmer went nuts and produced some very dark smelly skimmate at least 4 times more than usual.

I will probably do another 30g water change next week and get another 30g the week after just to cover bases.

actually, if your snails ate all that algae that quick, you could have had a mean phosphate & nitrate spike. Plus, that water has something nasty in it!
sounds good

DannyBradley;114628 said:
A few notes on a variance with liquid test kits. Kits are made to be performed in a very specific way. Straying from manufacturer recommedations will result in inaccurate results.

1. The reagent bottles must be held vertically to assure a proper drop size.
2. The drops must be allowed to fully form before dropping from the tip of the bottle. If you squeeze the drops out quickly you will end up with smaller drops of reagent.
3. Use an appropiate sample size. An error 1mL will skew the results by 20% in most test kits.
4. Time the steps to their full length. Certain reactions have to occur in some test kits i.e. calcium kits must fully percipitate magnesium, otherwise giving a false high result.
5. Routinly bleach out your test vials in a 1:20 (bleach:water) ratio, allow to air dry.
great advice! never thought to bleach out my vials!
Ralph......................

Back