Bryopsis solution verified

Schwaggs;341871 wrote: Chris,

I had a couple varieties of HA and the process knocked them both out in the areas with high intensity lighting. Did you have any HA in lower lit areas?

I have HA in mostly low-light areas - places that aren't in direct lighting. The Tech M didn't seem to do anything to the regular ole' hair algae.... looks like I'll need to break down and do some water changes...

My Anchor and frogspawn lost a lot of color and the heads of the anchor are not expanding nearly as far as there were before treatment began.

Now that you mention it, I've had the same problem- one of my frogspawns that I've had for years has been slightly bleached and all closed up. It's starting to open back up a little now.

I hope my Acans and RBTA can make it through.

Strange- I didn't see any effects on my RBTA or acans...

I still don't have any problems with bryopsis, although my corals are still somewhat bleached. I attribute that to lack of sufficient water changes on my part...

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Tech-M and started dosing 8 cups a day to my 2000 gallon system. Works wonders, I have very little bropsis left. A few more days should see all of it gone hopefully.

Several observations:
<ul>
<li>Watch the salinity level in your tanks when you OD this stuff. I noticed last night when I was doing my nightly top offs that my salinity was at 1.028, I added 80 gallons fresh RO/DI to the tank. This morning salinity was still at 1.028. Currently I am somewhere around 1900 ppm according to my salifert test kit.</li>
<li>Light colored Zoas and Mushrooms don't seem to like this treatment. I also had a pagoda that lost all of its colors. Other than that, my SPS and LPS seem to be unchanged so far.</li>
</ul>I am also running an experiment in my other 1500 gallon system by mixing up a triple dose Magnesium Sulfate solution and dosing 8 cups a day with it. This system is about 5 days behind the main system. I will find out if this works over the next 3 days.

Tim

A quick question for those with Bryopsis. Is this the same thing? From looks of the other pics, it's pretty similar and again its spreads like crazy. Nothing I've tried has killed it.

Algae1.jpg
alt="" />

It's even on some snails!!

Algae2.jpg
alt="" />

Algae3.jpg
alt="" />

That looks like hair algae to me. Bryopsis looks kinda like fern leaves to me.

Any suggestions for getting rid of it? Other what I'm already doing...nice sized water changes and watching what I feed them.

I know where it came from though...bad salt mix. Never will use Red Sea again. :doh:

Oil_Fan;370726 wrote: Any suggestions for getting rid of it? Other what I'm already doing...nice sized water changes and watching what I feed them.

I know where it came from though...bad salt mix. Never will use Red Sea again. :doh:

Not asking in a smart aleck way, serious question: How do you know it came from the salt? I don't see how it could be nailed down like that.

cr500_af;370728 wrote: Not asking in a smart aleck way, serious question: How do you know it came from the salt? I don't see how it could be nailed down like that.
More of a guess than anything. I switched to red sea after using Oceanic for about a year. Thought I'd try something else. It was about a month or month and half of using the new salt that I started having algae problems.

Oil_Fan;370726 wrote: Any suggestions for getting rid of it? Other what I'm already doing...nice sized water changes and watching what I feed them.

No joke, mine showed up after I switched from instant ocean to Red Sea salt.

LegalReefer;370857 wrote: No joke, mine showed up after I switched from instant ocean to Red Sea salt.
What did you do to get rid of the algae? Or was it just regular water changes as normal?

Oil_Fan;370871 wrote: What did you do to get rid of the algae? Or was it just regular water changes as normal?

A whole new system!!! I never tried to fight it other than water changes, less feeding and less light, but nothing worked. Also it was a good excuse to get a bigger system :yay:

While I like that approach, I'm not sure I can get the wife to approve of such a method.. heh

Oil_Fan;371126 wrote: While I like that approach, I'm not sure I can get the wife to approve of such a method.. heh
I just told my better half that there was too much HA and bacteria in the tank and that I need to build a new one. So I found good deals and told her "how great of a deal it was" like she does with clothes!

Too bad I only have a 3 feet wide area to work with and already have my 65 gallon tank there.

[edit] I wonder how bad it would be if I baked like a third of the rocks each week...would it cause a mini cycle?? It would be worth loosing the coraline to get rid of the hair algae.

If you go that route, I would put decent size rock in every few days. But that might still be too fast. Good luck with it.

Ya...That would take care of 80% or so of the rocks with that on there but I have 3 rocks with mushrooms on there that also have the algae. That's going to a bit more tricky....

Today I picked off as much HA on the one big rock that has shrooms and GSP and put it in the big tank. I put a bunch of snails and blue leg hermits on there hoping they will take care of what I couldnt. Also I have a fox face, lawn mower and Tomini Im hoping will also help out. But I bought some off a ARC member to cycle the new tank and I have the old rock in a rubbermaid with a protein skimmer and no light. Once that is taken care of, I will slowly add the old rock to the new tank.

kelleyga36;386686 wrote: Mojo,has the cure held up? Has any returned?

Unfortunately, the bryopsis is back. I'm not sure whether the magnesium sulfide just killed it off and it was somehow re-introduced, or if I just didn't kill off all of it. I also don't know if a longer or more concentrated treatment would take care of it.

At the moment, I'm going with a different route- try to strip the tank clean of nutrients by adding a 60g cheato-only tank, adding in a number of snails, and lowering my feeding. So far, I've had limited success - the algae is gone in places.

Back