Build: 200 gallon frag system

The pond liner can work. The corners will be funky and hard to keep the creases from getting too big. The main issue will be heat, at one foot deep the black liner will absorb a lot of the light energy and release it back into the water. I also don't know how the stuff is rated for uv, which can deteriorate it.

Those premade fiberglass trough's look pretty appealing. Especially since they're gel coated.

They have UV resistant liners. With climate controlling that small space, i don't see heat as a major issue, My current tank has black under it with no issue.

I looked at the pre-made ones, but I think they would run over 300 a piece, definitely over what I want to spend on the tanks.

I do see the pond liner as problematic for things like my power heads, but I think i could get around that with my 3d printer and some plexi.

I liked the premade ones, in fact my first setup was supposed to use two of them, but I got uncomfortable with the bulk head connections. Any movement could cause it to leak due to flex. For the size I need, two of those would be a 600 to 700 dollar investment.

I haven't seen much in heat issues in my tank and I have a black rubber mat under it.

Creases will be an issue, I think i would look to gluing it to the sides with some sort of easy give glue to try to get it really flat and nice looking. The biggest headache I could see is mounting power heads and frag racks to it, but I can beat that with my 3d printer.

You could get some scrap material and do a test with a light over it... you don't want to find out after the fact that you have issues.

I think your budget is low even for the pond liner. Quality plywood is $50 a sheet, then you need to build the frame, seal it and buy the liner and clamp it in place. By the time you're done it'll be close to the same cost.
]
*Edit*
Take a trip down to Orlando to pickup and troughs and hit WWC on the way back with some starter stock. Maybe even pickup some orders from other members. Then there's no freight at all.
With stand off bracing on the plumbing there will be no movement or flexing at the bulkheads. All you'd have to do is build the stands and plumb them up.

Last edited:
You could get some scrap material and do a test with a light over it... you don't want to find out after the fact that you have issues.

I think your budget is low even for the pond liner. Quality plywood is $50 a sheet, then you need to build the frame, seal it and buy the liner and clamp it in place. By the time you're done it'll be close to the same cost.
]
*Edit*
Take a trip down to Orlando to pickup and troughs and hit WWC on the way back with some starter stock. Maybe even pickup some orders from other members. Then there's no freight at all.
With stand off bracing on the plumbing there will be no movement or flexing at the bulkheads. All you'd have to do is build the stands and plumb them up.

Oh my budget isn't low, I just have a need not to spend money when it can be avoided :)

Yeah, next time I head to florida I wouldn't mind seeing WWC. Starter stock probably isn't necessary, I have about 200 frags on hand at any given time. My side business has been in operation since June. The need to build a tank now is to expand my capacity and to get the tank off the second floor.

Haven't been able to frame or work on the project during the week due to the real job, but hope to finish the basic framing this weekend, and start building the frames for the tank, as well as hopefully get the outer walls on. Should be a lot of fun.

Update: More framing, and walls on three sides now. (this is so much fun)

No, I am not a construction expert, so to make up for my lack of construction engineering, I'm just going to pile on more wood and screws :D

On a side note, lumber is expensive, and it's expensive at lowes or home depot. I will never use lowes again that's for sure.

image2-1.jpeg image1-1.jpeg

Last update for the weekend: Some insulation, fitted my pallet flooring, and got the bases of the stands for both tanks, and the sump.
image2-2.jpeg
^ the walls of course will be fiberglass inside, on the outside, just standard plywood (don't care what the outside looks like). On the inside, there will be rigid foam insulation in place of where you might expect drywall.

image1-2.jpeg
^ here you can see the start of the stands for the tanks and sump. The sump will situate in the middle, and accept overflow from both tanks. I was going to custom build a simple sump until I found out my current sump is exactly the right size to fit in between the two tanks. I will have to install a ball valve on the overflows to turn them off while I allow it to cycle. I have a lot of frags so I will have to coordinate the new system cycling so it can accept the frags as soon as this "goes live" . On a side note, I somehow just found out about these marinepure blocks, so I have 2 four inch blocks currently seeding in my current frag tank.

over next week I will be pulling the floor up, gluing, then nailing them back down. (good lunch time project) . Next weekend I will complete the stands, and that will let me know where to lay the studs for the front wall.

Thanks for riding along, a lot more fun to share it as I build it.

What are your plans for electricity? Also, did you decide how you are going to heat and cool it?

Last edited:
For power, I was hoping to not have to plug anything up inside the box, will drill and pass cables through the walls, and plug them up outside. I'll bring in an electrician if I need to do any real electrical work.

I will be using a portable AC unit, I think just a floor model. I will also run a dehumidifier in it, from what I have read, these produce some heat, so I expect no actual heating will be necessary. Dehumidifier will be piped outside to avoid constantly emptying it.

Just bought 160 lbs of argonite from petco for 66 dollars delivered. The 10lb bag is on sale, then they have a save20 promo thing for 20% off over 75 dollars, and free shipping. The free shipping doesn't really apply but I purchased the sand, and then chatted with them, and they took it off anyways.
Argonite for .42c a lb is pretty awesome

there's no way petco made any money off this :D . shipping 160 lbs can't be cheap

Alright, so got a lot done today. Starting to look like something, long ways to go yet.

IMG_1195.jpg
Here, I have completed the stands for both tanks, and the sump in the middle. The sump is almost exactly the right width, and I may have to sand some wood to get it to fit, going to be tight for sure. Sad to say I measured wrong so I had to move the base of the right stand, and now my pallet floor is all messed up. It wasn't working great anyways, just going to do it in 2x4, or I did think about doing concrete throughout it.

IMG_1197.jpg
Here the frame for the front wall is on, and some of the ceiling is laid up there, not secured yet though. The ceiling will have a _lot_ of 2x4 as i will use the area above this for storage so it needs to hold some weight.

Not sure I will get more done this weekend, (it's not a pay day weekend :D)

Next I will complete the framing for the ceiling, and the front wall. I will then do the "tanks". My best idea for how to frame the tanks is literally to make the walls of it solid 2x4. I only need 12 inches of height, so I don't see this being overly expensive. Would definitely hold the side wall weight of the water and would make it super simple to build.

So much fun!

p.s. due to a need to research shipping coral during the winter months, I am shutting down my online sales, PM me if you ever get interested in LPS.

Alright, didn't get to do too much today as had to be online for a software release. However, first tank is built!!!

IMG_1208.jpg
So first I added the plywood base of the tanks. Had homedepot do the ripping for me, and he did a pretty great job, so no problem there.

IMG_1209.jpg
Next, just buid build build. 2x4 base "ring" to support the bottoms of each wall. the top "rim" of it has overlapping corners to promote string. I know I am over doing it on strength as it's only around 10 inches of water, so this isn't going to be anything too heavy but I like to be sure.

IMG_1210.jpgIMG_1212.jpg
Here's a pic with a hammer for scale, I am really loving the long tanks. I decided to go sand in these tanks, and to have a little rock work because the dimensions of the tank will make for some really good looking paths through the length of it.

Alright, so throughout the week, I am going to do a little housekeeping as my work area is a nightmare right now, and I am going to start playing with fitment of the pond liner (yes, I decided to go that route) Did some research, and I think it's going to be just fine.

Anyways, that's it for now, can't wait to see the second tank and the sump stand in place so I can start getting a real feel for the dimensions of the system as a whole.

-Daniel

Outside walls are all done, and the top has covered as well. It's kinda ugly on the outside, down the road i might drywall it, just not a concern right now. The wife is happy because I finally got it where we can use the top for storage, and I got the garage cleaned out some.

IMG_1219.jpg

Might try for the second tank tomorrow, not quite sure yet, have some code to do for the day job. After the second tank is in place, finally will be at the point where I can finish the interior.

Once the interior is finished, I can finally start looking at getting some water in it, and spinning up the tanks :D

Back