Build: 200 gallon frag system

Finished the insulation last weekend due to wanting to get it over with (nasty work). So this weekend I got the second tank built.
IMG_1225.jpgIMG_1226.jpg
Tomorrow I will just be finishing the stand for the sump, and finishing the floor and staining it. At that point, I will be ready to drywall, and then paint, and at that point it should start to look like something.

last update for the weekend, the floors were finished and stained. It's funny, with the floors stained it really starts to show what it's going to be.

IMG_1227.jpgIMG_1228.jpg

I realize that my build thread looks more like an episode of fixer upper, but i promise there is saltwater in the future :D

That is looking nice. I cannot wait to see the final product. Are you planning to cover the walls with plywood?

Thank you so much guys.

I am going to drywall it. I was considering doing a shiplap style on the back wall, but not sure yet. I think for underneath the tanks I am going to leave it unfinished and just put curtain to cover it.

Thank you so much guys.

I am going to drywall it. I was considering doing a shiplap style on the back wall, but not sure yet. I think for underneath the tanks I am going to leave it unfinished and just put curtain to cover it.

Why? I think I would stay away from drywall due to humidity and the times when water does spill & splash.

The drywall they use in bathrooms... I think its green... should work here. It's a lil more expensive but its resistant to water on its own which is a plus.

My original plan was to use rigid foam insulation, and then i found out the stuff is flammable.

I keep going back and forth between drywall and a plywood shiplap style. I need it to look clean as the system will potentially be live streamed to my customers 24/7.

The humidity is an issue, but I intend to climate control the space anyways, so I expect the humidity will be handled no matter what. My current thought is to use a nice plywood on the lower half of the walls, and drywall on the upper half and ceiling. The ply would be about 8 inches up the wall above the tank and I think would do pretty well to protect.

Thanks for the tip on the drywall, expense shouldn't be a major issue as it's just not that much area. I'll look into that drywall next time I am at home depot. I do plan to act on it this weekend, should be a pretty good update.

also, if anyone knows of a good solid "tote" or bucket that is around 40 gallons or more that I can use as a ATO reservoir I'd love a recommendation. Currently I have to lug 7 gallon jugs up stairs and I am pretty over it. The system will have the RODI built in under the tank, and all I will have to do is to hook up the water hose to the system, run the discharge to the sink, and let it run for a while. I do want the system to be able to go 2 weeks without needing water so I need a big container. (under 24 inches in height I believe.)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Centrex-Ru...t-Gray-Tote-with-Standard-Snap-Lid/1000237841

I use something like that for my ATO container on one of my tanks. The only issue is that they will bulge on the long sides when filled with water so I reinforced it by drilling holes at the rim and I used some spare 14 gauge wiring to hold the sides in with spare acrylic as large washers to reinforce the holes. Works well for me... and it was cheap :)

I have a much fancier one I got off ebay for my display because the ATO sits off to the side but I would've used a regular tote otherwise.

My ATO is a 32 gallon Brute can with lid.

For the interior walls, the Green cement board or plywood would be a good option. Drywall just sounds like a huge PITA to deal with unless it's Densglass exterior sheathing. That has fiberglass sprayed on it. It's the yellow sheets you see on new commercial construction.

thanks guys, I'll check out the suggestions on ATO.

Yes, I wasn't looking forward to doing drywall, I am not great at finishing it, and it's a mess to work with from my experience. Might just try plywood, at least in that case I can have them cut it for me. Plywood does have the advantage of being able to screw into it long term for when I need to mount something.

small update, didn't get as much done as I had hoped over the weekend.

I decided to take your advice, and try a wood paneling. I went with a thin plywood from homedepot, and had them cut it into 2x4 pieces so i could fit it into the room and work with it a little easier. It's going to mean more finishing but should be okay.

thumbnail_IMG_1230.jpg thumbnail_56416577600__35A0DFCD-5FFF-47B4-BBB3-C1A5506AE2B5.jpg

I have a bit more to do, and the lower strip you see missing is going to be getting a thicker ply as I will need that portion to be stronger for hanging the mounts for the lights.

My goal is to be into painting by next weekend, but with thanksgiving, and fallout 76 coming out, maybe not :D

On a side note, if someone has enough space in their system/sump to hold two marine pure 4 inch blocks, and 5-6 frags so I can shut down my system that would be a massive help.

Small update as this is taking a while, and i mean, not that interesting right now.

The base of the walls is up, needs trim, and I decided to do the shiplap thing on the majority of the wall, as I think if I try to finish the walls directly, I am going to get cracking a lot due to expansion of the wood with temp swings.
thumbnail_IMG_1234.jpg

The ply directly above the tanks, and the backwall is 3/4 inch to support securing brackets etc to it.

On to trim, and shiplap. Hoping to be into painting within a weekend or two.

I am definitely looking forward to getting the construction aspect done and getting the system "idling". Right now I have a million ideas on how to customize the functional aspects of this build and I am stuck in construction :D

I think it's really going to start coming together over the next few weeks so the end is near :)

Thanks for tagging along, this thread is actually a lot of motivation to keep up the progress.

Back