Camera for taking nice reef pictures!

dapperjman

Market
Reaction score
I need some expert advice! I don't know much about cameras, but I'd like to buy my wife one for Christmas. I figured I would go ahead and get her a lense or two to take some cool macro shots too

I'd like to hear recommendations for a beginner camera setup please. I just found a deal on a Canon EOS Rebel T6 with a 18-55mm and 75-300mm. Any thoughts on that to begin with?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

it would be good to start with, you really need a good macro lens though. Canon 100mm macro is nice.

A good (and much cheaper) alternative to purchasing a macro lens it to use an extension tube.

If you go with canon you can get their 50mm f/1.8 for about $100 then a good extension tube set for about $150 and have a real good macro lens. I've never used the kit lenses much but even when I had a larger zoom lens, my 17-55mm stayed on my camera 90% of the time.

You can't go wrong with either Canon, which I'm a huge fan of, or Nikon. Sony has started making some good cameras but I'm not familiar with them.

rsaalman;1100 wrote: it would be good to start with, you really need a good macro lens though. Canon 100mm macro is nice.

I've seen that somewhere else too. I guess I wanted to make sure I started with a decent camera.

dball711;1100392 wrote: A good (and much cheaper) alternative to purchasing a macro lens it to use an extension tube.

Cool thanks, I've read there is a difference since some have electrical contacts. Is it best to start with those?

HiImSean;1100397 wrote: If you go with canon you can get their 50mm f/1.8 for about $100 then a good extension tube set for about $150 and have a real good macro lens. I've never used the kit lenses much but even when I had a larger zoom lens, my 17-55mm stayed on my camera 90% of the time.

You can't go wrong with either Canon, which I'm a huge fan of, or Nikon. Sony has started making some good cameras but I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks, I have read great things about Canon. Do you have much experience with Pentax?

I've been planning the same purchase soon and I've talked to a few photographers.

They've said that starting with the best body you can afford will save you a bunch in the long run. Then rent lenses till you find what works for the style of pics you're going to take.

Back