Cannot figure out what’s wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all started LONG before the lighting change Shawn. It started while I was in the hospital, sometime in late January. I started the lighting slow. I’ve had T5’s on the tank all along.
Possibly, while you were in the hospital the levels might have gotten slightly out of wack without your 🦅 👀 on everything and maybe that caused weakening of corals in combination with the cyano. Then the chemi clean and lighting issues on top might have pushed the envelope a bit. .....patience and slow and steady changes.....
Hopefully, you will get things where you want them for both you and the tank 😁

IMO - lower it.

I've been scuba diving on reefs with water in the high 60's / very low 70's - nothing in the ocean needs water that warm.

That may be true but I’ve ran an SPS tank at 79-80 for years with no I’ll effects. IMHO SPS will adapt to a lot of different temperatures as long as parameters are stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do have a bubbler in in the tank since starting the KZ Cyano Clean and coral snow and prior to chemiclean.
So were you running KZ and Chemi concurrently or close together? I haven't dabbled in enough SPS beyond some Monti and hydnophora years ago to speak terribly compentitally but between the dosing, the swings, multiple anti-cyno regimes and lighting changes my 2cents is to just invest in some weekly waterchanges and try to just cruise for a few months. Keep everything as stable you can but don't number chase for a bit.

I'm in the camp that 78 is fine temperature wise.

It's my understanding that low dkh is more a growth inhibiter than a killer so maybe target something a bit on the low range of acceptable that is easier to maintain for a bit.

All in all your pictures look alright. There are a few rough sps but what is left looks healthy. I'd try to just enjoy looking at it and relax a bit.

The thing I immediately looked at was the dkh. You have a range from 6.2 to 10.5 (can’t see the post on my phone ha) imo that’s a pretty severe swing. Yea it’s still in range, but for all stability is way high on the priority list.
I’m not saying you’re doing something wrong, but the dkh range is a lil suspect imo(some may disagree)
Beat of luck :) hang in there

The thing I immediately looked at was the dkh. You have a range from 6.2 to 10.5 (can’t see the post on my phone ha) imo that’s a pretty severe swing. Yea it’s still in range, but for all stability is way high on the priority list.
I’m not saying you’re doing something wrong, but the dkh range is a lil suspect imo(some may disagree)
Beat of luck :) hang in there

I’m wondering if people are looking at the dates on my pictures. Day to day I don’t have severe swings in any parameters. These notes date back to at least November. I was, however, in the hospital for 6 weeks straight and with all of my husbands other responsibilities (2 jobs and caring for our adult brain injured son) it was all he could do to get the fish fed let alone test the water. I do appreciate everyone’s input. We also found a new pest yesterday and haven’t yet figured out what the heck they are. Tiny skinny worms on the glass. They don’t seem to be bristleworms. Also, figured out yesterday that my fancy Inkbird temp controller is toast. That’s why my temps were fluctuating wildly. Thing I absolutely do not understand is why my back up heater/controller didn’t kick on. These are practically brand new BRS titanium heaters. I plugged in a brand new finnex heater into the Inkbird and it still didn’t work but when I plugged it into the Finnex controller - BAM it worked. So now I’m thinking that brand new heater has been bad all along because it’s not the finnex controller that failed because it is working now. I still have the Inkbird temp probe in there because it is accurate within a few tenths of a degree and sends me phone alerts for temps out of range. Really disappointed that I got only 6-7 months out of it and only about 3-4 months out of those BRS heaters.
Here is a picture of the new creature, any guesses?
B30ABFA0-9512-4C45-ADE0-69C10C83AD2C.jpeg08A0B7A6-87C2-4654-8DDC-2E3EC2851D08.jpeg

Hard to tell too much about what that creature is but, if I had to guess, I would say spaghetti worm.

1614943647339.png

I'd also go with a spaghetti worm.

weird, but not harmful

Yeah we just saw one floating and could definitely see all the appendages. Couldn’t see all that when they were on the glass

Yes @NanCrab I also pointed out the dates in my original post. As I pointed out the , even if you ignore the 6.6 dkH as a false reading, your dkH is varying day-to-day at a still dangerously fast rate.

and I also think spaghetti worm. Harmless

If this was my tank - I would be concerned about alk going from 6.6 to 8.5 in 3 days. There are similar examples in your screen shots at the beginning.

View attachment 39056
I wonder if that was a testing error? I’ve had the Hanna give me some oddball results. I’m thinking this was when I first started the 2 part, I can’t remember

Spaghetti worms- they are part of the clean up crew. Live in the sand bed mostly and take occasional hikes around the tank.

Yes @NanCrab I also pointed out the dates in my original post. As I pointed out the , even if you ignore the 6.6 dkH as a false reading, your dkH is varying day-to-day at a still dangerously fast rate.

and I also think spaghetti worm. Harmless
Is it significant if it goes from 8.4 to 8.9 over the course of 24 hours? I still don’t understand what would be causing the swings. Should I discontinue the ATI 2 part? I don’t feel like it’s been particularly helpful. It was recommended to me by a fellow reefer but not an ARC member. I needed to get my calcium up because it had bottomed out. I feel like I’m brain damaged now. I’m not joking. I’m malnourished and I’m trying really hard to wrap my head around the chemistry. We had gotten a clam and I didn’t do enough research. I didn’t realize they were such calcium consumers and my calcium bottomed out and the clam died then my monti’s started dying. The tank was truly perfect and beautiful before we got the clam. The hammer looks like it’s trying to come back. Although it’s still pale I’m starting to see brighter green in it now. This tank is being dismantled soon and only the fish will be going to the new tank. None of the rock or sand will be transferred and the corals will be dipped and fragged and placed in quarantine before being put into the new system. Maybe I’ll be able to do a better job. We’re going to have significantly more system volume because of the water/sump system we will be building in the basement. Will have auto water changes programmed in. I just need to figure out my new rockscape for the 180 so we can start cycling the rocks

I wonder if that was a testing error? I’ve had the Hanna give me some oddball results. I’m thinking this was when I first started the 2 part, I can’t remember
Really doesn't matter - your parameters are swinging - or your testing is no good. The results are the same. Potential sources for the problems you are asking about.

get your temp, ca, mg and alk to stay within the test kit margins of error for 30 days and see what your tank is telling you then. That's the only opinion I have and it is exactly what I would do.

Just because someone says "alk can swing XX per day" doesn't mean it will be OK for your tank to do that - especially when you throw other parameters being on the fringes or fluctuating.

Is this your golden egg solution? Perhaps not - but you'll never find your solution until you stabilize for a while.

Really doesn't matter - your parameters are swinging - or your testing is no good. The results are the same. Potential sources for the problems you are asking about.

get your temp, ca, mg and alk to stay within the test kit margins of error for 30 days and see what your tank is telling you then. That's the only opinion I have and it is exactly what I would do.

Just because someone says "alk can swing XX per day" doesn't mean it will be OK for your tank to do that - especially when you throw other parameters being on the fringes or fluctuating.

Is this your golden egg solution? Perhaps not - but you'll never find your solution until you stabilize for a while.
I completely agree with you but I also completely do no know what is making it unstable. Do you think it’s the ATI 2 part? Should I discontinue it? I don’t add any other supplements and it’s only going at 2ml/hour. I’m wondering if it’s even stable anymore because I diluted it so long ago and infuse so little of it.

My plan of attack would be to stop dosing if you aren’t sure how much to dose to keep it stable. Do a water change and give it a couple hours and then test again. Write it down. Test again the same time tomorrow. Write it down. Do this for 5 days. After five days take note of the consumption your tank is doing. That is the only way you will know how much to dose. Just dosing 2ml hourly may not be matching your tanks consumption. Slowly over the course of a week to two, you bring your alk back to the level you wish to keep it at through manual dosing (the time period will be longer if you are going from 6-7 dkh to 10). Turn on the doser and Adjust the doser to keep it stable there based on whatever solution calls for that you’re dosing.

Is it significant if it goes from 8.4 to 8.9 over the course of 24 hours? I still don’t understand what would be causing the swings. Should I discontinue the ATI 2 part? I don’t feel like it’s been particularly helpful.
Yes, it is significant. That much change so quickly could cause a lot of damage in only 24 hours.

I know you don’t have answers you want... but in our PMs, I previously sent you a solution that will do exactly that. To repeat for people here, test Alk (and calc) more frequently, and do at least 2 tests back to back each time. This will give you insight into the validity of your results, as well as potential causes/issues. So do it. Then let us know the results. Follow the rest of the advice too. It’ll help. The “what-ifs” of your results will provide answers to numerous questions.

As I’ve also stated, don’t make any big changes. Only small changes on occasion, and frequently test your water when doing so. Stopping something cold-Turkey that you do regularly for months is a huge change. Don’t do it blindly. Honestly, you have no way to know how helpful ATI been. But for example, if you stop and then everything dies in 24 hours, then you will have learned the hard way... or... you could just do 2 tests, a few times a week, for 2-3 weeks, learn more about your tank by getting the answers you want, and then make an educated decision.

My plan of attack would be to stop dosing if you aren’t sure how much to dose to keep it stable. Do a water change and give it a couple hours and then test again. Write it down. Test again the same time tomorrow. Write it down. Do this for 5 days. After five days take note of the consumption your tank is doing. That is the only way you will know how much to dose. Just dosing 2ml hourly may not be matching your tanks consumption. Slowly over the course of a week to two, you bring your alk back to the level you wish to keep it at through manual dosing (the time period will be longer if you are going from 6-7 dkh to 10). Turn on the doser and Adjust the doser to keep it stable there based on whatever solution calls for that you’re dosing.
I know there has been a bunch of advice on here but this is essentially the same thing I said a few days ago (no harm in the repeat @trizzino). Yes, @NanCrab, you should stop dosing (for now). You have to get a handle on your consumption. Dosing without knowing the consumption isn't going to be productive. Its also something you have to stay on top of because as your corals grow, they will take up more elements. So, if you start a tank with a bunch of 1" frags. You could have your dosing down perfect but if they grow into full colonies, your dosing regimen isn't likely to be sufficient anymore.

So your homework:
1. Tonight: Test your mixed saltwater
2. Tonight: Research your salt mix. Not that you need to change but know what your salt parameters are. Is that what you want your tanks' parameters to be? I chose HW Marinemix because it mixes to a Ca and dKh that I want to keep my tank at. I have a google doc on salt mixes that shows all the listed parameters and price per gallon. I can send that to you if you want
3. Tonight: Water change
4. Tomorrow: At a time that is most convenient, test your tank. Make sure this is a time that would be convenient for the remainder of the week.
5. Sunday: Test you tank
6. Monday: Test your tank
7. Tuesday: Test your tank
8. Wednesday: Test your tank
9. Thursday: Test your tank
10. Thursday: Water Change
11. Thursday: Wait 2 hours post water change, test your tank.

This will give you a baseline for your tank's consumption and let you see how your water changes impact your parameters. You can start to develop a dosing schedule and water change schedule from this small data set. You will likely have to adjust and change as more livestock (fish or coral) is added but this would be a solid baseline. I hope this helps!

Yes, it is significant. That much change so quickly could cause a lot of damage in only 24 hours.

I know you don’t have answers you want... but in our PMs, I previously sent you a solution that will do exactly that. To repeat for people here, test Alk (and calc) more frequently, and do at least 2 tests back to back each time. This will give you insight into the validity of your results, as well as potential causes/issues. So do it. Then let us know the results. Follow the rest of the advice too. It’ll help. The “what-ifs” of your results will provide answers to numerous questions.

As I’ve also stated, don’t make any big changes. Only small changes on occasion, and frequently test your water when doing so. Stopping something cold-Turkey that you do regularly for months is a huge change. Don’t do it blindly. Honestly, you have no way to know how helpful ATI been. But for example, if you stop and then everything dies in 24 hours, then you will have learned the hard way... or... you could just do 2 tests, a few times a week, for 2-3 weeks, learn more about your tank by getting the answers you want, and then make an educated decision.
👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back