Challenges right now for you?

elFloyd;1085099 wrote: Time

Finally got the ATO feed from the garage and enjoying not caring buckets to fill the ATO reservoir.
But only half finished with auto water change and setting up a calcium reactor. Oh... And my skimmer pump started making noise, so the skimmer is off line until I can pull it out and see what's stuck in the pump.

Just need more than 24 hours in a day.

This. The only thing I've really done to my tank in the last 2 months is add RODI to the ATO and empty my skimmer cup. I've been traveling a good amount for work, working at the aquarium and playing soccer every Sunday and a few unexpected family emergencies have kept me incredibly busy. I think this week I looked at my tank 3 times. I really need to get a schedule down for taking care of it better.

SaltWaterWannabe;1085261 wrote: I would not really call it a challenge, but I am replacing filters after realizing I let them get too dirty before flushing. It does not helo that I have been overfeeding so I have very high phosphates. Replaced 2 first filters and running initial 50 gallons through it... and am running phosban.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Maybe this is a challenge...I have all new filters and membrane in my 4 stage rodi, zero ppm turbidity, but I still show 0.30 phosphates. I have retested 3 times, reviewed the Hanna Checker video for the low phosphate tester, and am left scratching my head. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SaltWaterWannabe;1085417 wrote: Maybe this is a challenge...I have all new filters and membrane in my 4 stage rodi, zero ppm turbidity, but I still show 0.30 phosphates. I have retested 3 times, reviewed the Hanna Checker video for the low phosphate tester, and am left scratching my head. Any suggestions?

can you try just rodi coming straight out of rodi? could it be the container?

that is what I did. I am letting it run to clear anything residue that may have been on them. So far about 15 gallons has run through the new filters and membrane.

No container, I just rinsed and filled the vial straight from the tube.

added...I am guessing it has to do with the checker. My tank water read 0.86 then 1.2. nothing is dead

well, 0 tds doesn't mean there's no phosphate. tds is detected thru running electrical charge thru the passing water. phosphate is po4, there's no metal in this chemical. therefore 0tds, or maybe I'm mistaken myself

SaltWaterWannabe;1085417 wrote: Maybe this is a challenge...I have all new filters and membrane in my 4 stage rodi, zero ppm turbidity, but I still show 0.30 phosphates. I have retested 3 times, reviewed the Hanna Checker video for the low phosphate tester, and am left scratching my head. Any suggestions?

Could this be as simple as it reading phosphorus instead of phosphate?

quote from: http://www.beananimal.com/other/hanna-hi-736-checker-hc-opinion.aspx">http://www.beananimal.com/other/hanna-hi-736-checker-hc-opinion.aspx</a>

"....Lastly, the HI-736 meter measures Phosphorus in ppb (parts per billion) but in most cases aquarists wish to measure Phosphate in the reef aquarium and do so in ppm (parts per million). Conversion from Phosphorus in ppb to Phosphate in ppm can be accomplished by using the follow equation:
Phosphorus(ppb) x 3.066 / 1000 = Phosphate(ppm)

hzheng33;1085419 wrote: can you try just rodi coming straight out of rodi? could it be the container?
Do you mean the filter casings? I guess I could try cleaning the casings and all hoses with vinegar if this could be an issue.

So I finally figured it out after I ran through a box of phosphate reagent. All the testing practice has made me quite efficient at running a phosphate test using the Hanna Checker. The issue was about as basic as it gets and has to do with age, not my age, but the reagent age. The packets I was usung expired this past December. New packets return 0.02 on my rodi with no salt and 0.28 on my tank. The tank water is not great, bitnowhere near the 1.2 I was reading so it is at least manageable.

I made and tested a clamp on float and valve setup last night, so I am off to making a full chqnge of water for the tank swap

.09 and dropping....added phosban gfo yesterday and an 80, yes 80 percent wc. finally off of 0.20

SaltWaterWannabe;1086068 wrote: .09 and dropping....added phosban gfo yesterday and an 80, yes 80 percent wc. finally off of 0.20

phosnet, not phosban. I tried running phosguard for a week with no change. phosnet cut the phosphates from .21 to .09 in 24 hours. I assume the issue phosphates leaching out of my sand, rock, and media. so far the phosnet is the only thing that has made a dent in the test results

.06 phosphate today. I had a massive amount of mixrd rodi (for me) made up so I did about a 75 % wc. as soon as I turned my pump on my new brain extended uts tentacles for the first time. I cannot wait to see if anything else changes once the water params are all in check.

next is ph. I am a little low at 8.0

my challenge atm? joists/support of the house. for the longest time, i have overlooked the structure of the house and whether or not it will support the tank that i already have. so all this time that i'm collecting equipment and livestock for the 150, i overlooked the biggest factor. also, did i mention my stand is in limbo as well?

I started a build and it has taken longer than I thought, due to several reasons. Almost there though - plus side is it has given me time to research and prepare.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hzheng33;1085422 wrote: well, 0 tds doesn't mean there's no phosphate. tds is detected thru running electrical charge thru the passing water. phosphate is po4, there's no metal in this chemical. therefore 0tds, or maybe I'm mistaken myself

Sorry, but you are mistaken:

http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is#what">http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is#what</a>

[IMG]http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is">http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is</a>

It is total dissolved solids

hzheng33;1087602 wrote: there you go. I learn something everyday
As long as you learn something new every day, you never grow old. This hobby delays my growing old:)

hzheng33;1087435 wrote: my challenge atm? joists/support of the house. for the longest time, i have overlooked the structure of the house and whether or not it will support the tank that i already have. so all this time that i'm collecting equipment and livestock for the 150, i overlooked the biggest factor. also, did i mention my stand is in limbo as well?

I ran across this video which is not too bad. It does not address how to determine approximate loads a floor can support, but does pass along some basic concepts and challenges many aquarium enthusiasts should be aware of.

a>

Back