Closed Loop Pumps

You shouldn't need the check valve, just plumb it like Mel's reef & you'll be fine. Even if you empty the tank, water should remain in the CL system up to the point of your lowest bend (assuming the pump remains off!). You will need the "Up-tube" with threaded cap, however, to prime the system before the first use.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
30534=1874-scwd_installed.jpg
>
30534=1874-scwd_installed.jpg
class="gc-images" title="scwd_installed.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

wbholwell;30534 wrote: You shouldn't need the check valve, just plumb it like Mel's reef & you'll be fine. Even if you empty the tank, water should remain in the CL system up to the point of your lowest bend (assuming the pump remains off!). You will need the "Up-tube" with threaded cap, however, to prime the system before the first use.

Bryan,

thanks, I've been looking at Melev's CL for a while, but he uses a submersible Mag 7 in his design which supposedly is more capable as a syphon fed pump on a CL.

I got the priming part down, i am thinking I may even build a completely sealed/enclosed acrylic resovoir right before the intake on the snapper. :)

thanks again,

Matt

I'm 99.9% certain you won't have any problems using a Sequence Snapper pump in a similar CL system. The only air it will ever have to draw is about 6 or 8" of empty PVC (the first vertical portion from your intake.) The rest of the system you can fill through the threaded cap.

Oh, BTW, if you do decide to put a check valve inline after the pump, know that you'll get lots of air/bubbles pushed into the tank on initial startup. That's b/c check valves have a "cracking" pressure- usually a couple psi, so even if you flood the system before startup chances are the pipe/tube after the check valve will remain filled with air.

I really don't think you'll need such a priming resovoire. Basically the entire system (inlet tubing and outlet tubing) will serve the same function. If you want to increase the amount of water, you could oversize the inlet pipe.

okay, but i like drawing things in sketchup... :)

Anybody have a dart or snapper and can verify that it is 6.5" wide and not 6.75" or 7"?

thanks,

Matt

Well, I called ReeFlo, Inc., and there's some good news and some bad news...

Good News: they said it would work fine as a syphon fed pump

Bad News: it's closer to 7" wide... dagnabit! I'm at 6 5/8" behind the tank... :(

MattTVI;30514 wrote: Well, I'm trying to go w/ the generalized 30-40 rule that Calfo seems to like. I posted a question about my plans over in his forum. He's a busy guy though so no answer yet.

Again, I appreciate all the feed back, folks!

Matt

Ya I put in a call to Tony but I have not heard anything. (I needed to talk to him anyways about some stuff) I do know he is addicted to his boards so you should get some input before too long.

MattTVI;30555 wrote: Well, I called ReeFlo, Inc., and there's some good news and some bad news...

Good News: they said it would work fine as a syphon fed pump

Bad News: it's closer to 7" wide... dagnabit! I'm at 6 5/8" behind the tank... :(

Mount it above your sump/fuge if you can. Just a thought.

Xyzpdq0121;30601 wrote:
Mount it above your sump/fuge if you can. Just a thought.

I agree. The only thing that should affect your flow rate is the loss generated by extra lengths of pipe/tubing.

Do any of our sponsors carry these pumps? The only place I've seen them is Premium Aquatics.

speaking of vendors... :)

What do you guys thing of premium aquatics? I see that marineandreef.com carries it but are out of stock. As does customaquatic.com.

hmmmm, even the manual indicates it can be run via a syphon... :)
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/sequence/dart-man.pdf">http://www.premiumaquatics.com/sequence/dart-man.pdf</a>

and one last edit... Andy Diaz @ MRC has the DART but not the Snapper... I may still have to give him a call... :)

Premium Aquatics RULES! I love these guys. Super fast shipping and a good price. They also carry a lot of the more unique items like ReefChili. If you want a better price aquacave.com has them for $210 and shipping is quick, but not PA quick. I have ordered from both with great success.

BTW, I am going to try the Dart on an over the top setup very soon if you want to come by and check it out. I was going to drain from an overflow, but I am lazy and don't want to mess with that plumbing unless I have to. Most of the "experts" will tell you that you have to drill to use a sequence and that is the best way, but again I have seen two working setups that didn't have an issue and it is good to hear that the Sequence company backs up the small suction. I am a bit worried about back flow reversing the impellor, but worse that can happen is I smoke a $210 dollar pump which I think is less likely than a check vavle clogging.

BTW, I saw one of these sucking two feet up from a pond and it has been running without issue for about 6 months. I am sure the life of the pump is being shortend, but I am guessing not a lot.

According to the installation manual, if you are going to position the dart/snapper above the water level (sort of what we are doing...) you should have a check valve below the water level. I may consider plumbing a check valve into the feed line that sits in the tank... :)

Cameron;30652 wrote:
BTW, I am going to try the Dart on an over the top setup very soon if you want to come by and check it out.

How soon? I'm keen to see it in action... :)

That check vavle may be very important since it prevents a back siphon and the impellor running in reverse. I am going to look and see where I can let air into the system safely on the out of the pump. Check vavles on a salt system are dangerous.... very dangerous. I think there is a better chance of the check vavle clogging and running the pump dry than a back syphon. Sooner or later that valve is going to clog. Different story on fresh water. I think if one of the out ports is half in/half out it would be virtually impossible to back syphon.

I am going to start working on it sometime M-F and should have it operational by next weekend.

From an engineering standpoint, how does a magnetic drive pump, like the mag drive, differ from the snapper?

Would the mag drive be considered a self-priming pump? (I realize there are actual self-primeing pumps...)

Back