Closed loop system????

w_hartyjr

Market
Reaction score
Does anybody do this anymore?seems like a good idea for more flow,without all the extra powerheads or wave makers. I would like to see some pictures of your setup,if possible. Also what size tank do you have and what pump do you use for the closed loop

I was wondering the same thing a while back and was looking into a closed loop when I was starting my build. Just like anything in this hobby, it seems to get mixed reviews. A while back I was talking with someone over at Pure Reef about their huge reef tank at the front of the store and asked about it being closed loop and how they like it. The person said that they regretted drilling the bottom of the tank due to leaking issues. I saw the same comments in multiple threads on reef central stating the same.

Closed loops are an old style of adding flow and circulation to a tank. With new technology, especially the undertow created by newer style pumps like the Vortechs, closed loop systems have almost become obsolete. Closed loops are a lot of work and add heat to the tank. In order to have a proper CL you need a very powerful and expensive pump. You can get basically the same thing with a lot less money with in-tank powerheads.

If I was ever going to run a closed loop I would set it up just like this tank:
<!-- gcu-updated ame -->http://youtu.be/e2s21t15Rmc<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->
I suggest watching the entire series but the closed loop part starts at 11:00.

Big fan of them myself. Not a fan of power-heads of any sort. Disagree with pumps being expensive. Heat is not an issue, actually an external pump "Typically" adds less heat than submerged pumps in your water. As for the chance of leaks that would be relative to the qaulity of the installation. There are seams in the bottom of the tank that are held together with an adhesive"silicone" that pose a greater risk than a mechanically attached bulkhead. The plumbing could fail as well but no more of a chance than the other plumbing in the tank. I ran one for years with out incident one. The undertow thing that every one speaks of from power heads is the same for any device that pulls water from a container and returns it to the same container. The reason the MAGICAL undertow is more obvious with certain power heads is because you have to mount them higher in the tank to keep them from blowing the sand bed around. Mount the powerheads at the bottom and you would have an over tow. Complete myth to them having that ability exclusively . Done right I think closed loops are aesthetically pleasing, versatile in placement and can perform as well if not better than power heads.

grouper therapy;992786 wrote: Big fan of them myself. Not a fan of power-heads of any sort. Disagree with pumps being expensive. Heat is not an issue, actually an external pump "Typically" adds less heat than submerged pumps in your water. As for the chance of leaks that would be relative to the qaulity of the installation. There are seams in the bottom of the tank that are held together with an adhesive"silicone" that pose a greater risk than a mechanically attached bulkhead. The plumbing could fail as well but no more of a chance than the other plumbing in the tank. I ran one for years with out incident one. The undertow thing that every one speaks of from power heads is the same for any device that pulls water from a container and returns it to the same container. The reason the MAGICAL undertow is more obvious with certain power heads is because you have to mount them higher in the tank to keep them from blowing the sand bed around. Mount the powerheads at the bottom and you would have an over tow. Complete myth to them having that ability exclusively . Done right I think closed loops are aesthetically pleasing, versatile in placement and can perform as well if not better than power heads.

Interesting input. Thank you

Tinman had a pretty neat closed loop system on his that i liked..but ive never ran one myself but can definitely see some pro's and con's like everything else..

grouper therapy;992786 wrote: Big fan of them myself. Not a fan of power-heads of any sort. Disagree with pumps being expensive. Heat is not an issue, actually an external pump "Typically" adds less heat than submerged pumps in your water. As for the chance of leaks that would be relative to the qaulity of the installation. There are seams in the bottom of the tank that are held together with an adhesive"silicone" that pose a greater risk than a mechanically attached bulkhead. The plumbing could fail as well but no more of a chance than the other plumbing in the tank. I ran one for years with out incident one. The undertow thing that every one speaks of from power heads is the same for any device that pulls water from a container and returns it to the same container. The reason the MAGICAL undertow is more obvious with certain power heads is because you have to mount them higher in the tank to keep them from blowing the sand bed around. Mount the powerheads at the bottom and you would have an over tow. Complete myth to them having that ability exclusively . Done right I think closed loops are aesthetically pleasing, versatile in placement and can perform as well if not better than power heads.

Agreed. Closed loops are not old school, nor antiquated. And are no more risky that adding a hole in the bottom for the overflow. A proper install and equipment can easily manage them. We have a closed loop system on our 600 gallon reef that most people dont even notice, and performs PHENOMENALLY.

I like them in theory (everything works great, no leaks, etc) but not so much in reality. Imo unless you have a huge tank (500gal+) I wouldn't even consider a CL.

A couple of the 70w riptides would do wonders even in huge tanks now.

The closed loop on tinmans old 120 was pretty sweet..great flow and nozzles were hidden in the rock. Definitely would probably use on anything 120 or bigger if I could ever afford a custom aquarium. Unfortunately, it look like that won't be for a while

DavidinGA;992991 wrote: I like them in theory (everything works great, no leaks, etc) but not so much in reality. Imo unless you have a huge tank (500gal+) I wouldn't even consider a CL.

A couple of the 70w riptides would do wonders even in huge tanks now.

Certainly different strokes for different folks. Id be happy with a closed loop even MORE SO in a smaller tank (where powerheads would be more obvious and take up more real estate). Honestly, if leaks are people greatest concern with a closed loop, then they shouldnt used tanks with overflows either, as they have the exact same probability and concern of leaking. Its really not a concern if you install properly. Powerheads are great for afterthought installation or simplicity.

indecloudzua;992992 wrote: The closed loop on tinmans old 120 was pretty sweet..great flow and nozzles were hidden in the rock. Definitely would probably use on anything 120 or bigger if I could ever afford a custom aquarium. Unfortunately, it look like that won't be for a while

We had that aquarium fabricated for him after he saw the design on our display. When thought out, it is a wonderful tool.

SEA Atlanta;992994 wrote: Certainly different strokes for different folks. Id be happy with a closed loop even MORE SO in a smaller tank (where powerheads would be more obvious and take up more real estate). Honestly, if leaks are people greatest concern with a closed loop, then they shouldnt used tanks with overflows either, as they have the exact same probability and concern of leaking. Its really not a concern if you install properly. Powerheads are great for afterthought installation or simplicity.

We had that aquarium fabricated for him after he saw the design on our display. When thought out, it is a wonderful tool.
That is what I was thinking, other than the drilled holes in the bottom center of a tank. How would this not weaken the tank at any point?

You can actually do a closed loop without drilling the tank. A little more complicated and you will have to be creative about placing the intake in a concealed corner, and you will need to be able to prime it prior to start, but doable.

haninja;993013 wrote: You can actually do a closed loop without drilling the tank. A little more complicated and you will have to be creative about placing the intake in a concealed corner, and you will need to be able to prime it prior to start, but doable.

More info please

http://www.melevsreef.com/node/691">http://www.melevsreef.com/node/691</a>

Once you understand the basic concept, you can expand on that.

haninja;993049 wrote: http://www.melevsreef.com/node/691">http://www.melevsreef.com/node/691</a>

Once you understand the basic concept, you can expand on that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again

w_hartyjr;993058 wrote: Thanks again
I had one on my 156 that wasn't drilled either. Worked great. Had some on other tanks that were drilled that worked great as well.

I have one on my 300 DD tank. I like the barell roll that it creates. Dave actually drilled my tank and helped me plumb it.

Back