Coralife Dual Timer...turning off?

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
For the third time this thing has just turned off. When I say "turned off", I mean the actual switch in there has flipped itself into the off position. WTH? Anyone ever have this happen to them? I just emailed Coralife tech support, but I'm not sure how fast they'll get back to me. My wife just clicked it back on and then 20 minutes later is turned off AGAIN!:mad2:

Over loaded? May be it is tripping the circuit. I have a couple of them but never had them shut off.

I've started replacing those on my client's tanks for that and similiar reasons.

I've had 2. Broke one myself when I accidentally turned one of the dials the wrong way. BOTH had the same problem you mention, and neither was over loaded.

Do a quick search on that other</em> reef site (RC) and see if you can find some of the threads on problems with these units. This particular issue has been mentioned as well as fires that started due to shorts in the unit.

bobz;340147 wrote: Over loaded? May be it is tripping the circuit. I have a couple of them but never had them shut off.

I thought about that too, but would tripping the circuit cause the actual switch to turn over? All I'm running on it is my T5s, 30w skimmer pump, LEDs, and my 60w fuge light. The skimmer is the only thing on there that is always on. Weird...let's see if Rob at Coralife gets back to me with an answer and I'll let you guys know. In doing some Googling (love how that's a verb now) I've found a lot of people who had issues with smoking and small fires...YIKES!

Well, I guess I need to look into a change then. Funny how this $40 timer can't handle it, and yet my $10 powerstrip with a $3 Wally World timer plugged into it never skips a beat. Marketing, I got suckered in by it!

you and me both, bud-lol; mine's actually working good, but I, too, failed to research it beforehand and found out I had purchased a major POS afterward-lol; luckily mine's still going and hasn't missed a beat-but that' snot the norm

Trey, I think you need to call Ghost Hunters and have them do some EVP work around your tank. There are dark forces messing with it, bro.

JessPete;340166 wrote: Trey, I think you need to call Ghost Hunters and have them do some EVP work around your tank. There are dark forces messing with it, bro.

haha- +1! lol

All I had plugged into mine was a 48" Coralife Lunar Aqualight. The model with 3 plugs - whites, actinics, and LED moonlights. That's it, and even then, the whites and the LED's were never on together.

Forgot to mention that a friend of mine had the reptile version (same thing, just a different sticker on the front), and he was one of the lucky ones that happened to be home when the unit started a fire. Nice melted spot on the carpet and some minor smoke damage, but could have been WAY worse. I think the only things he has plugged in were a lamp and a water mister unit.

bratliff;340188 wrote: Could salt creep or water evap be affecting these things? I've got mine in a completely seperate cabinet and, reading all this, I'm now worried...:unsure:

Perhaps... Mine got worse with age, so I always thought it was just wear and tear on the timer mechanism. Sounds like they are simply a poor quality unit.

Like was stated above, I've never had a problem with the el'cheapo timers from Wally World or Tar'ge.

Man, I guess I have been very lucky! You would think with a track record like you all are describing these would have been recalled and taken off the market long ago. I did a quick google search and came up with about the same results.

bratliff;340188 wrote: Could salt creep or water evap be affecting these things? I've got mine in a completely seperate cabinet and, reading all this, I'm now worried...:unsure:

possibly-but most are junk straight out of the box from what I've read-

I have four of these timers and they have all worked great for over to two years.

These things are KAK! I'd recommend using them as paperweights.

Doesn't matter what KAK is you said "snot the norm" and I thought that was pretty **** funny.

I've seen several of these returned defective. Not all of them. Timers quit working, not sure if it's the same problem you describe, but could be.

I've sold quite a few - had some returned.. but not *too* many. A couple have tried to return as defective and they are full of salt creep... that's not a defect, that's abuse.

If yours is free of abuse *g* and is just malfuntioning, you should be able to return it to the vendor you bought it from and they can exchange it.

If you prefer to go through the manufacturer - and you don't get anywhere, let me know - I have contacts there.

Jenn

Back