More of a revolving door than a fast growing market

paul692;983656 wrote: Even big drug companies allow walmart to sell their prescriptions cheaper than other pharmacies and stores.even though the drug companies have millions invested in advertisement and r&d .why should other companies like Eco-tech and the like have such privileges to set a price for stores that sell there products and want to compete locally for your business

IMO M.A.P is a good thing. Without it, you hurt the LFS and drive everyone to purchase online. I personally want to see LFS in business and I'm to give a few extra bucks for the convenience and pleasure of being able to go.

Sn4k33y3z;983700 wrote: IMO M.A.P is a good thing. Without it, you hurt the LFS and drive everyone to purchase online. I personally want to see LFS in business and I'm to give a few extra bucks for the convenience and pleasure of being able to go.

Exactly. MAP pricing protects their retail distribution; the very people who educate on their product and are usually the consumer's first exposure to it.

As a former retail store owner, we would have been crushed by online stores without MAP.

HockeyMonkey.com buys so many sticks that they can push into the 10-12% wholesale discount category. We could never have matched that, so the suppliers institute that minimum price to protect the local merchants from getting steam rolled. (It also serves to protect the 'prestige' of their product)

Wow a lot of writing and reading here so I'll make my opinion known in short;
I totally agree with post 17. As Dave said with "facts" I'll say, you DO get what you pay for.
IMHO Eco-Tech is expensive because they are the best in every arena. They go 110% to make their customers 100% satisfied. I say this after owning their lights and power heads for 3 years.
Sure it hurt to fork out the cash at the time (I bought new) but I didn't buy twice....

I didn't stock Ecotech. I'd order it in for somebody who wanted it, but it was not worth my while to keep it on the shelf. MAP is nice but the wholesale price didn't afford a margin that made the products worthy of renting shelf space.

Furthermore, while the product price was the same for online or brick and mortar, there's that pesky sales tax. Since most etailers would provide free shipping on such high-dollar products, that was a wash, but then the brick and mortar has to charge tax. So no matter what, anyone wanting to buy from me, was paying an extra 6% - and not money I'd get to keep, that was me being the state's tax collector.

Brandon, you have mentioned several times that 'somebody' needs to come up with a line of comparable products, at a cheaper price and they'd make a killing.

I disagree. Ever heard the term, "work smarter, not harder?"

Why would anyone want to work harder, for less money, than their counterpart?

Joe paints houses. Joe charges $500 to paint the outside of a 1500 square foot house. He paints 2 a week.

Fred charges $250 but has to paint 4 houses a week to make the same money that Joe does. More people are calling Fred because his price is cheaper...

If Joe and Fred have employees, who do you think is paid better? Who is more likely to have better quality workmanship? If Fred's rushing to get 'em all done, maybe he starts cutting corners.

Or how about this; your boss comes to you and tells you he's letting you go because he found somebody else to do your job for $10K/yr less.

The price of goods and services comes down to what the people are 'worth' who make or provide them - whether it's manufacturing, research & development, sales, marketing etc.
My old mechanic back home used to have a sign over his back counter that said, "The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweet price is forgotten."

Yep, it's a free country. Yep it's a free market. If somebody can charge an arm and a leg for a widget, and people will pay it, more power to them.

On the flip side of that, if you feel it's over-priced, don't buy it. There's something out there on the market that accomplishes the same thing, that's cheaper.

LEDs - they aren't all created equal (even some of the uber expensive ones aren't all that, IMO) and the market is flooded right now with Johnny-come-lately sellers but like with everything else, the market will weed out the junk, through consumer trial and error.

A producer can set the worth of anything but if the consumer doesn't agree, something changes - either the price changes, or the product or service does.

Jenn

Acroholic;983601 wrote: Frankly, I have heard this same post worded differently in 100 different posts on multiple other reef forums over the years.

First off, if what SEA posted is true, the MP-40 price was just a temporary sale price and is back at whatever price it was, or will be soon.

Secondly, the Vortech MP line of pumps was revolutionary at the time of introduction, and still is, IMO. I think if you research it you will find that this is not just some equipment anyone could develop without a substantial investment into R&D. At the time of introduction, the Vortech was introduced as a competitor to the Tunze line of pumps, which were the only thing available on the market today that moved that amount of water in a compact power head type design. They were intended as upscale equipment when they started and continue to be presented in that fashion.

I have an MP40 that I have had in continuous operation for six years, that has never needed anything but regular vinegar soaks, so I cannot agree that they are not well built.

Secondly, welcome to the world of consumer goods. You are complaining about pricing and marketing strategy that spans every line of consumer goods available on the market today. Find me a single line of consumer goods where there is not marketing and product placement that does not denote either a perceived quality or actual quality difference. You will not find one. Find me a society on this planet where every product available to consumers is the same, generic, and cheap, and I'll show you a country where there is no private capitalism and the country leadership has the people under its feet.

As to the revolving door aspect of this hobby, that is the nature, and you will find it in this hobby as well as the freshwater hobby, and any other multitude of luxury pursuits. People get into what they think will be a fun hobby, and they find it is not what they expect with the required work a reef system entails, they have income changes, divorces, job transfers, job loss and any other of a multitude of things that either make it hard to physically maintain or afford a reef tank. It happens, and is not specific or exclusive to reefkeeping.

Finally, reef keeping is not a hobby for anyone with financial issues. There is a cost to this luxury hobby, and while you do not have to be rich to be in it, everything about it costs money, money that could be spent on other, more essential things. That description can be applied to any hobby that involves repeated, multiple purchases over time.

If there came a time where I could not meet my mortgage, or put food or clothes on the backs of my family, my reef hobby would be among the first of my luxury hobby pursuits to go.

The reef hobby requires continuous outlays of cash, be it chemicals, salt mix, electricity, water, worn out bulbs, food purchases, new corals, failed equipment, consumable equipment, ad infinitum.

Frankly, I see any revolving door aspect of this hobby not related to the cost of things in the hobby, but moreso a result of potential reef keepers not taking into account the actual work required to maintain a reef tank.

I will never understand the negative attitude towards personal achievement that folks have in this country. Companies that develop and market a successful product, like EcoTech, used to be admired, not scorned. A person can rise to however their ability takes them in our country. I believe that is a good thing.

And with these innovative, achieving companies comes a wide variety of consumer goods at many different price points. Vote with your dollars. Don't spend money on what you don't think is worth the cost. But I admire anyone that can achieve in our society through their hard work.

I agree with Dave here...I have had 2 MP40's going on 4-5 years (and a MP10 going on my new tank-not installed now) with 2 battery backups (replaced 1 not too long ago), and those are one of the best pieces of equipment that I have ever owned, and Save is the one that convinced me that they were soooo much better than my Tunzes. He was correct. Thanks again Dave!

NorthGaHillbilly;983654 wrote: I think one factor that I haven't seen mentioned yet is "snob appeal", now Im not trying to argue value of X piece of equipment, nor am I saying anyone IS a snob. But this hobby is a LUXURY hobby, as brought up before. People don't buy BMWs JUST because there great cars, tho I'm sure they are, there's also something to be said for being SEEN in a BMW. Equipment also carries an aura of luxury, as does the hobby its self.

I'm sure there are some people who buy cars, and reef equipment, for bragging rights. But there are also plenty of people who buy stuff simply because it's what they want and they can afford it. I know personally I could care less what someone else thinks of what I drive, the size of my TV, the size of my tank, etc... I buy that stuff for me and my satisfaction, not to show off to others. Even when someone buys a new reef toy and comes on here and posts it. It doesn't mean they're bragging. They're likely sharing their excitement with others who understand them and will share in that excitement.

Like when a friend bought a Z06 Vette a few years ago. He didn't send me a pic to make me envious. He sent it because he knew I'd appreciate it and be happy for him.

SnowManSnow;983535 wrote: Before anyone reads this, understand that this is just my opinion, and I'm not bashing anyone. I don't have anything against any sponsors, or anyone else, and will continue to support them as long as I can afford it.

I'm currently between tanks, and it gives me a platform to see things in a light I couldn't while in the throws of a reef tank.

If you don't mind a long post then read on.

____Seth TWG made a comment in another thread that the reef hobby is more of a revolving door than a fast growing market. The thread was concerned with a price drop with Ecotech pumps.

I DO AGREE with the statement, but it is unsettling. If this is true then as aquarists revolve out the market will starve as the left over won't be able to support the companies that are asking crazy high prices for their products.

Without an adequate influx of NEW people into the hobby the only option will be for companies like Ecotech to finally drop prices, and do it dramatically. :eek: Otherwise, the hobby won't survive.

Honestly, why in the WORLD is a MP40 worth $375? It is because they SAY it is. It isn't complicated, it isn't built particularly well, and it doesn't take a lot of RD to develop it.

It won't be long before someone sees what is happening, takes the bull by the horns, develops a line of products that is just as good but substantially cheaper, opens a store and drives these companies out of business.

Really, I think it could happen right now. Take the actual aquariums for example. I've been shopping for tanks and am floored at how MUCH a good aquarium costs. I'm not knocking any sponsors, or anyone else, and realize there IS overhead BUT.... I was quoted almost $2,000.00 for a 48x24x16 tank. Seriously? At that price this company will grab a SMALL percentage of the market. I realize you do pay for quality, but let's make a quality tank that size, charge $4 or $500 dollars for it, give it a few years for the word to spread, and grab a HUGE market share. Its a few slabs of glass glued together... not rocket science.

Another example is the skimmer "industry". I have a BK200 mini and paid a lot of cash for it because I wanted the best, but realize that someone with the correct tools could do the SAME exact thing for half or a third of the price, and before you know it most everyone in the hobby would have one.

Here's the point of the whole thing. In order for the hobby to survive long term, and ultimately to grow past the slim % of people who can afford to stay in it long term, companies will HAVE to make some changes.

Although the hobby has been around a while, I still think we are in the boom of technology for it, and companies are charging whatever they want because no one else has the tech... but this is changing.

Online superstores WILL drive premium stores out of business despite the few of us who are loyal to LFS, if someone doesn't "get it" soon.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can get the something that performs like a BK200 for $400. A great tank for <$500, a stinking water mover for $200, and lights (seriously... its just light) for <$300.

Right now "you get what you pay for" may be true, but the days be companies being able to push that is coming to an end fast, and they had better see the big picture or they will be finding another budding hobby to own a timed monopoly on.

This just isn't how capitalism works. Junk is cheap. Quality comes at a cost. Quality consists of not only the materials, but also the people making those products. The best and the brightest don't work for cheap, so their salaries will be reflected in the products. Add cheap staff to the mix, and you no longer have that same quality.

SnowManSnow;983535 wrote: Online superstores WILL drive premium stores out of business despite the few of us who are loyal to LFS, if someone doesn't "get it" soon.

I think you meant "low end stores" here.

NorthGaHillbilly;983654 wrote: I think one factor that I haven't seen mentioned yet is "snob appeal", now Im not trying to argue value of X piece of equipment, nor am I saying anyone IS a snob. But this hobby is a LUXURY hobby, as brought up before. People don't buy BMWs JUST because there great cars, tho I'm sure they are, there's also something to be said for being SEEN in a BMW. Equipment also carries an aura of luxury, as does the hobby its self.

People buy quality because of the quality. A BMW comes with a certain level of quality AND service. That's why people buy them. A very tiny percentage of people will buy stuff for that snob appeal, but it's negligible and not something to build a business around.

For instance, I look awesome in everything I drive. I buy nice cars because they last, they perform really well, the dealers provide service that's second to none, and I LOVE every minute behind the wheel. I've had cars that got me from A to B, but I want more than that now. So, my options are limited to the brands that can provide that and they just so happen to be the higher end brands. Heck, I tried desperately to buy a Buick a couple of years ago. I just couldn't get over how cheap the interior is. A real shame as I liked the looks and the layout (Enclave).

Good looks fade away over the years but stupidity lasts a lifetime LOL

rdnelson99;984079 wrote: A little man crush perchance??? Hehehehe

Nah.....just some friendly sarcasm. Although, instead of Raj saying "I look awesome in everything I drive," I thought he would have said "I make everything I drive look awesome," hehehe!

Lol!

That's why I carry the "super" title: heavy levels of awesomeness :D

Skriz;984095 wrote: Lol!

That's why I carry the "super" title: heavy levels of awesomeness :D

76199790a58409d0868ee5e6b0680482390d854c5f77fce707a16e68551d9edd.jpg
alt="" />

I use to drive a Rolls a Rolls knarley that is rolls down one hill knarley make it up the next

Back