Crew's 120g Reef Tank

Ya - I know it's a monster fish load, but my thoughts are that most of them are pretty small. I wouldn't be surprised to hear most think this is too much. I will probably play it by ear once I get the 10 or so fish that I have to have in there. Once the tank looks full, I'll be good to go.

Crew;1006250 wrote: Ya - I know it's a monster fish load, but my thoughts are that most of them are pretty small. I wouldn't be surprised to hear most think this is too much. I will probably play it by ear once I get the 10 or so fish that I have to have in there. Once the tank looks full, I'll be good to go.
That's what I'm doing. I got my clown, had a trio of green chromis (one was murdered by the clown, he wasn't joking anymore) so two left, and my Carribean blue tang, which will be my only tang in my 75. But he's a jewel. Might add 2-3 more small fish, definitely some type of goby, maybe a barnacle, who knows lol. I'm running a Reef octopus 150sss rated for 210g light load so I think I can accommodate down the road.

Tagging along. I'm preparing to tear down my current setup and put up a 120g myself. I'm seriously considering both the 36" Tideline sump and the Kessils, so it looks like we're thinking along the same lines.

Crew;1006246 wrote:
I threw in the towel on building the stand. I was pretty close to being finished, but I started to realize that I wouldn't have been able to make this stand look as good as what would have been acceptable to me (perfect) and instead, I cut my losses and bought a nice one. I should have the tank inside sometime in the next 10 days and then some aquascaping.

Where did you end up getting the stand? Are you putting a canopy on it?

djatl;1006267 wrote: Tagging along. I'm preparing to tear down my current setup and put up a 120g myself. I'm seriously considering both the 36" Tideline sump and the Kessils, so it looks like we're thinking along the same lines.

Where did you end up getting the stand? Are you putting a canopy on it?

can't beat that sump.. I have the 48" and absolutely love it. Will use one on my "big display" whenever I get around to that

Sounds awesome man! I think the fish selection is ok as long as you start slow which you will. Keep up the awesome work man!

ReefKeep66 - I'm in the same boat with this skimmer. I think it's rated for something like 340 gallons (double checked, 317 gallons)? I can't remember, I just know it was WAY overkill haha

djatl - For the Kessil's, i've heard nothing but good things and there is a 30? cube on display at Optimum Aquarium with only a single A350 and everything in there looks amazing. If I remember correctly, it's the owners personal tank? Honestly, I don't care too much about how fast my stuff grows as long as it's growing at a decent rate, and i've heard you can't beat the color or shimmer of Kessil LEDs, which is most important to me. As for the stand, I was in Optimum Aquarium checking out their liverock and the guy that builds the stands they sell just happened to be there dropping some new ones off. I spoke to him and an employee and worked out a slightly custom build (a few accessories) for a stand that basically matched what I was building and it has a canopy as well. I will make sure to take pictures of the kessils inside the canopy once I figure out how to mount them.

I should be wet in the next 10 days or so, so stay tuned.

Set up my quarantine tank last night!

The plan is to get my first 2-3 fish this Saturday. Exciting stuff, I know. I went with a simple 20g setup with some LEDs for lighting - it's a marineland starter kit. I was planning on just having some PVC in there, but the wife has informed me that we will have a spongebob pineapple, a squidward tiki head, and a patrick rock. Anyone have any experience with aquarium decorations? I would assume they are fine to use as they are plastic and probably won't absorb anything like medication, but want to double check with you guys. As long as they don't leach anything and give the fish some hiding places, it works for me.

Crew;1006531 wrote: As for the stand, I was in Optimum Aquarium checking out their liverock and the guy that builds the stands they sell just happened to be there dropping some new ones off. I spoke to him and an employee and worked out a slightly custom build (a few accessories) for a stand that basically matched what I was building and it has a canopy as well.

That stand you were building looked great! Thanks for the ideas, I am in the process of starting a new build and might have to steal your design.:up:

Update:

The tank is in my living room!
cjp0OL3.jpg
alt="" />

i've gone and purchased everything I need to do the plumbing, which means I'll only need 2 or 3 more trips to the store before I'm finished plumbing :tongue:. The rock and sand arrive tomorrow, and the plan is to start the cycle next weekend. If everything goes smoothly, I should be able to move the clowns sometime in March.

I've also got the quarantine tank up and running with my first two residents enjoying their stay in bikini bottom.
ujYBS3U.jpg
alt="" />

Close up of the two clowns. Meet "Batman" and "No, I'm Batman". It's not apparent who is the female yet, but they are inseparable and very healthy. They are Midnight clowns with only a single spot, and each has it on a different side. Batman's is on the right and No, I'm Batman's is on the left.
JANFF3Q.jpg
alt="" />

LOL Love the "Bikini Bottom" reference and the names. Looking forward to seeing this come together for you.

I've just discovered that these aren't midnight clowns, but are a much rarer type - domino clowns. Pretty cool stuff. Aquascaping starts tomorrow night!

Didn't have a ton of time tonight to work on the tank so I had to settle for only getting about half of the plumbing finished. What do you think?
5dea8c01956b0df72f225d1735afdaac.jpg
alt="" />
The left ball valve is the first main drain.
The right ball valve will be the 2nd when I get another 90.

The third drain is an emergency and there will be a fourth just like it on the other side.

Another update!

I've finished the plumbing - those bulkheads can be a real pain. I had a leak in one that I just could figure out, but it seems to have stopped after I took it all apart and put it back together.

http://i.imgur.com/elDp38y.jpg?1" alt="" />

On wednesday I knocked out the aquascaping and on Thursday i moved it in the tank. I've been making water ever since and it is not a fast process. I'm hoping to have enough today, but I may run over to one of our sponsors to pick up a few more gallons to speed things along.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Sb0ck4N.jpg?1" alt="" />
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Okut1PO.jpg?1" alt="" />
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FdLolas.jpg?1" alt="" />

It's finally full. I started programming the apex but ran out of time, but here is a quick few of the tank with one of my Kessil 360's mounted. This is running at roughly 35% intensity, 65% color.

http://i.imgur.com/LNnfy8r.jpg?1" alt="" />

I think I may have a very small leak in the sump - the tank has been running for about 12 hours and I would say there is less than a tablespoon in the stand around the edges of the sump. I'm going to try and find the source of the water tonight when I get home from work - hopefully I don't have to take the whole thing apart and do another leak test.

If you haven't seen a kessil in action before, the shimmer of the light streaking through the water is amazing and check out the sand bed ripples.

[IMG]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4psAI1gkGM&feature=youtu.be">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4psAI1gkGM&feature=youtu.be</a>

Yes that kessil shimmer never gets old! Maybe I missed it but how'd you mount your kessils onto, or in the canopy? I recently picked up another 360 and debating on building a canopy to hold them and some supplemental t5's.

I didn't post it, but should have.

I bought some screweyes and screwed them into the canopy cieling. One holds the kessil, and the second helps support the power wire. The kessil's come with that keyring attachment and I looped that through the screweye.

639fe763-d297-4b93-acba-b09b12d93a1a_145.jpg
alt="" />

The kessil is probably 5 inches off the water? I will take some photo's of the open canopy tonight. I have the 360WE.

That's pretty nifty. There alot easier to hang than some other popular fixtures. I hung one with big zip ties to my old mh fixture before I got the goose neck lol. I have been running mine 8" at a max color 65%, intensity 60% after I burned a monti that was about 1/3 up in the tank. So be careful with these!

Back