Dave's young acropora forest

Guys,
Here is a full tank shot.

>

Amazing tank! Do you happen to have a picture of how you have those pendants suspended? Looking for a few ideas that the wife will approve. Also what do you have attached to side of each, are those moon lights?

grouper therapy;331806 wrote: Dave , what was the main source of obtaining you acros?

Most of my Acros were either purchased locally from other ARC members or Sponsors, or bought off of Reef Central in the form of Frag Packs. Many of my ORA corals and fish came from Tim at Keen Reef, and many of my very nice acans, some SPS, chalices and fish came from Chris at Einstein. Some of my first Tyree corals came from Rit. As a matter of fact, when I first set up my acro tank, it was a 120 gallon, which I then replaced after 4 months with this 210, I just bought the equipment, bought a bunch of cycled LR from an ARC member leaving the hobby, and started slapping SPS in there. No wait time, no cycles, so while I would not recommend this to anyone new, I figured the rock is cycled, why not?

If Rit had known when my tank was set up (3-4 weeks at the time) he probably wouldn't have sold me any Purple Monster!

Frag packs are a good way to get nice LE corals on the cheap, but you need to be prepared to pay a larger than normal sum at once. Like one I bought had 20 LE corals for $350 shipped. Very reasonable on a per coral basis, but a lot to plunk down at once.

But there is really just as good deals to be had right here in Atlanta from Keen Reef and Einstein. Sorry for the shameless Sponsor plugs here, but it is true.
Dave

molson;331817 wrote: Amazing tank! Do you happen to have a picture of how you have those pendants suspended? Looking for a few ideas that the wife will approve. Also what do you have attached to side of each, are those moon lights?

Here is a pic of the hanging setup. I prefer to come down from the drop ceiling in the basement, but there is a AC trunk line above the reef, so that was not an option. Just shelf hanging hardware.

The pendants are LB Minis, and the moonlights are R2 Solutions Dual Extreme Moonlights: http://r2fishschool.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8">http://r2fishschool.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8</a>

You can get these from Marine Depot or That Fish Place. Maybe our sponsors as well?

I epoxied the mounting brackets onto a piece of lexan, then epoxied magnets on the underside of that. Only way to get them to mount on the metal pendant. Inside was out of the question because of the heat.
Dave
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/331858=16488-CIMG3324.jpg>
331858=16488-CIMG3324.jpg
class="gc-images" title="CIMG3324.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
331858=16489-CIMG3325.jpg
>
331858=16489-CIMG3325.jpg
class="gc-images" title="CIMG3325.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

fabbss;331855 wrote: Where did you find the helios 20k's? Those are double ended right?

Mine are single ended 400 watt 20Ks. I bought mine from Premium Aquatics thru Keen Reef, but Premium doesn't carry them anymore,as they have some definite quality issues. Grouper Therapy says you can get them at Custom Aquatic now. I hope so, as I don't want to switch. I love Helios bulbs to the point I don't mind returning a couple bad ones to get the good ones!:D

Dave, I have chosen the few zoas and acros and ricordias.........

Acroholic;331853 said:
Most of my Acros were either purchased locally from other ARC members or Sponsors, or bought off of Reef Central in the form of Frag Packs. Many of my ORA corals and fish came from Tim at Keen Reef, and many of my very nice acans, some SPS, chalices and fish came from Chris at Einstein. Some of my first Tyree corals came from Rit. As a matter of fact, when I first set up my acro tank, it was a 120 gallon, which I then replaced after 4 months with this 210, I just bought the equipment, bought a bunch of cycled LR from an ARC member leaving the hobby, and started slapping SPS in there. No wait time, no cycles, so while I would not recommend this to anyone new, I figured the rock is cycled, why not?

If Rit had known when my tank was set up (3-4 weeks at the time) he probably wouldn't have sold me any Purple Monster!

Thanks Dave for sharing that with us. I had heard about your tank from Bobby and Alex at old Cap Bay. It was all true!!

ares;331934 wrote: <u>a testament to paying for LE corals IMO, they are LE for a reason, the colors are always great.</u></em> tank looks even better in person, and in a year or 2 when that all grows out, you'll probably have a line at your basement door for the trimmings :p

heres to hoping your clumsy in the tank again some time so i can get some more frags. the PM is still going strong, living up to its reputation for growth, but its cooking!

I was not a believer in le corals but I am going to have to agree with you Ares. I have some ora frags from some sponsors and others that truley outperform the others!

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Looking great Dave I hope to see it again in person real soon. :) Before to long you will have to start picking out the one's you want to keep to make room for the growth.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"> </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Joe</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman"> </span></span>

sailfish;331967 wrote: <span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Looking great Dave I hope to see it again in person real soon. :) Before to long you will have to start picking out the one's you want to keep to make room for the growth.</span></span>

I'd take his culls.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Dave seems to get great growth every time I stop by I amazed at the progress. Keep up the good work Dave and tell me your secret when I stop by I won't tell anyone. :)</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"> </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman"> </span></span>

.......and Joe, I won't tell anybody that you told me! pm asap! please!

I just stumbled across this thread...... That is a beautiful tank!! I'd love to see it in person one day. I'm sure it has grown in even more. Hopefully mine will look half that good when I get it going!!!!

Back