dinos... how to rid them for good?

If you have the same variety (ostreopsis) as me, then I'm thinking that the higher pH and the H2O2 should really knock it out regardless of your light period. No matter what, the remaining dinos will release into the water column when the lights go dark, so if the pH is high and there's H2O2 in the system, then there's the opportunity for those treatments to work.

That actually sounds like what cleaned up my tank about a year ago. Could not keep alkalinity stable while the brown snot was present...some varieties of dinoflagellates apparently can utilize carbonate. Lost all my LPS due to ping-ponging between 8/9dkh and 6 repeatedly throughout the week(s).

Mixed low level dosing of reefbuilder to stabilize alk & Aquavitro 8.4 to hold the PH up had the thing clean within 2 weeks & no other treatment approach other than manual removal of the larger clumps at water change time. Lucky mine turned out to be sissies when it came to PH. ;-)

Ectogamut;1052124 wrote: If you have the same variety (ostreopsis) as me, then I'm thinking that the higher pH and the H2O2 should really knock it out regardless of your light period. No matter what, the remaining dinos will release into the water column when the lights go dark, so if the pH is high and there's H2O2 in the system, then there's the opportunity for those treatments to work.

this is my observation as well. seems we may have the same or similar strain.

however...
even if 99% of the dinos become free floating or swimming there seems to be a "residue" on the rockwork that will not detach and die. ive had this since bombing the tank. maybe it is a cyst is leftover after a light cycle or one that just continues to cling for dear life. but brushing it off doesnt help and neither does squirting a pipette of h202 in there.

tbh im not worried about it like when it first invaded and destroyed my millies.
i have 1 liter of peroxide and a doser thatll go forever.

update.

letting nitrate drop to 0 killed it off. h202 did keep it in check, but 72 hours of 0 nitrate killed it off in a hurry.

this may give some credence to vodka dosing and getting rid of it.

update: dinos are back.

dosed the tank to 4ppm and they loved it.
here is the kicker....

they are on a reverse circadium rythm than my dt. (weird).
i will culture them in the fuge until further notice.

are you still dosing stump remover?if so,maybe its something in that the dinos are feeding on.i dont know anything about the purity of stump remover and havent researched it all,just spitballing here.

reeferman;1053609 wrote: are you still dosing stump remover?if so,maybe its something in that the dinos are feeding on.i dont know anything about the purity of stump remover and havent researched it all,just spitballing here.

no. the guys at reef2reef are using stump remover. i only offered advice with seachem flourish nitrogen. but sure enough. when i dosed it back up to 4ppm dinos came back. they arent nearly as invasive though.

here is a video.

https://vid.me/Dzmu">https://vid.me/Dzmu</a>

it could be another kind of bubbly algae entirely. they dont seem like the ones that ate my mille's alive.

i cleaned the sponge filter yesterday with tap entirely. like 20 minutes of squeezing crap out.

reeferman;1053615 wrote: wasnt sure,just remember you being in a thread about stump remover.i guess it was over on r2r.
maybe its calothrix?

could be either. both are pita.
im only in twilliard's stump remover thread cuz he said seachem flourish nitrogen is too expensive over the long haul. (which i agree)

Back