dinos... how to rid them for good?

reeferman;1053638 wrote: if i was to catch fire,im sure Joseph could put me out.hes a professional you know :)

yeah the irony when i used the catch phrase. - hard to read from text but it was a jk.

as far as the dinos go, it seems they are intent on feeding on whatever is in the system. they are no longer as invasive as they were and grow much much slower. they arent growing in my DT but rather the fuge only. so im guessing their circadium rythm is swapped.

So, I haven't been able to rid myself of the dino problem - time to move onto a new method.

I'm on day two of probably a four day blackout - was gonna do three, but found dinos in the sump and I hadn't turned the sump light off on the first day. I've also been adding 20 mL of peroxide twice daily and I'm slowly ramping up my Alk. I checked it today and it was pretty low (2.98 meq/L or 8.34 dkH). I also started skimming on the wet side to help export some of the die off.

I've read several threads that recommended a three day blackout once monthly for at least three months and a reduced photoperiod for 2-3 days following the blackout. I'm planning on 75% blue/25% white light at 50% intensity for 4 hours for at least 3 days based upon what I've read. More to report in a few days...

im dino free.
blues slowed growth a ton.

a slow dose of peroxide is what killed them off in the end though. i just dosed 2ml an hour for 2 months on my 300 total volume system.

hth.
they are pretty invasive

also ph is what is needed to be raised. not alk. (if you are going that route)

So thus far I see no Dino's in my tank and I'm almost back to a normal light schedule.

I think the true test will be when I do my next water change (which I haven't done in nearly 2 months). If I see them start forming again I'm gonna do another 4 day blackout with peroxide - it seemed to have been quite effective. I'll report back in about another week to 10 days.

So far, so good...

jbadd99;1063303 wrote: So thus far I see no Dino's in my tank and I'm almost back to a normal light schedule.

I think the true test will be when I do my next water change (which I haven't done in nearly 2 months). If I see them start forming again I'm gonna do another 4 day blackout with peroxide - it seemed to have been quite effective. I'll report back in about another week to 10 days.

So far, so good...

i noticed that doing a 1 ml per 10 gallons of peroxide in fresh mix water eliminated the growth from a wc alone.

Russ-IV;1062677 wrote: im dino free.
blues slowed growth a ton.

a slow dose of peroxide is what killed them off in the end though. i just dosed 2ml an hour for 2 months on my 300 total volume system.

hth.
they are pretty invasive

also ph is what is needed to be raised. not alk. (if you are going that route)

What did you raise your ph to/from? Mine is currently sitting at 8.2 and haven't done a water change in about 4 months. I would love to eradicate these spawns of Satan once and for all.

Butch;1063524 wrote: What did you raise your ph to/from? Mine is currently sitting at 8.2 and haven't done a water change in about 4 months. I would love to eradicate these spawns of Satan once and for all.

most use kalk but ive heard others use ph up

Russ-IV;1063527 wrote: most use kalk but ive heard others use ph up
How much did you raise it by? What was your final ph reading?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Butch;1063528 wrote: How much did you raise it by? What was your final ph reading?

i used peroxide solely.
8.4 seems to be the magic number

Thanks. I would only need to make a slight adjustment then.

Butch;1063530 wrote: Thanks. I would only need to make a slight adjustment then.

good luck. its what made me take a break from reefing. atm my tank is on auto pilot until the spring. growing mostly corraline algae. lol

I feel your pain. Have been cursing the dinos on a daily basis and debating a complete restart with fresh rock and substrate. Hopefully this dies the trick.

Butch;1063532 wrote: I feel your pain. Have been cursing the dinos on a daily basis and debating a complete restart with fresh rock and substrate. Hopefully this dies the trick.

I tried that route too. I only transferred about a half dozen frags that were dipped beforehand and that didn't solve my problem.

Try a blackout and peroxide. You'll be happily surprised.

dji-phantom3.jpg
alt="" />

solves the dino problem fairly effortlessly. (if youre into that kinda thing)

I wanted to post something i found quite interesting from my observations with dinos.
I had an outbreak a couple weeks ago (nothing like the first where it covered all my corals) after wanting to give anino acids another shot. i did 1/10th the dose and sure enough they came.
the interesting part was a week or so later after dino's growth substantially decreased i got the very same white slime algae after.
this stuff stops up sponges and is a real gooey white slime. my established liverock that didnt adhere any dinos didnt have it. but the new dry rock that i added at the time that was most vulnerable to dino growth had it covered in a matte.
this is almost exactly what happened last time except on a lesser level.

another thing to note:
ive always had incredibly small pockets of it on my back glass. looked like dormant brown algae. dinos kind of tried to invade that back glass with their snotty bubbly goodness during the outbreak. well... that white slime notably coveres only the snotty areas.

wish i had one of those digital microscopes because it just looks like they (white bacteria) only want to eat dinos.

not sure if anyone has seen something similar during their dino lifecycle or not.

i thought the first wave was me stopping peroxide dosing and bacteria reestablishing. this time, i didnt dose anything.

Russ-IV;1071439 wrote: i thought the first wave was me stopping peroxide dosing and bacteria reestablishing. this time, i didnt dose anything.

I ran a second month of blackout, this time with no peroxide dosing. It wasn't nearly as successful, but I did see a noticeable reduction in the few pockets of dino I could see. I may repeat a third month of blackout and dose peroxide again.

All my livestock is looking great, though.

Back