DIY denitrator - anyone build one?

oil_fan

Market
Reaction score
Me in my ever on going saga of trying to eliminate algae and cyno stumbled upon denitrators. And I found a way to build my own on the cheap. Yah for Home Depot and PVC!! Has anyone done this? Any tips?

We have one on the store's FO system - sulfur denitrator... kicks butt and takes names.

Jenn

We made ours out of 2 Phosban reactors. LSM (Live Sulphur Media) in one, Aragonite Reactor Media (ARM) in the other.

I've always had issues with nitrates in the large FO system - because of its nature it has no LR, just bioballs (store's sell system) - big eaters, big poopers = nitrates.. Brian built the sulfur reactor and within a few weeks, nitrates less than 10 ppm. Slow flow is the key, and a bit of time for it to truly become live.

We are now stocking all the stuff to build one.

Jenn

Very nice. I just may have to make a trip up to Canton in the next couple of weeks.

Interesting you should ask. I'm building one. Check out he DIY Denirator thread on Reef Central. It's straight forward and simple. I should have mine up by the end of the week.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/diy/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/diy/index.php</a>

here's the link

Let me know hot it goes. I ended putting my algae scrubber back in place as a more short term fix until I have some time look at building this.

shadow;380089 wrote: Interesting you should ask. I'm building one. Check out he DIY Denirator thread on Reef Central. It's straight forward and simple. I should have mine up by the end of the week.

Any updates? How about some pics? I'm thinking of trying this out as well. If anyone is interested, may be we can do a workshop one weekend and build a few of these. I'm only about 500 yards from the closest home depot and lowes!

Bob

bobz;388448 wrote: Any updates? How about some pics? I'm thinking of trying this out as well. If anyone is interested, may be we can do a workshop one weekend and build a few of these. I'm only about 500 yards from the closest home depot and lowes!

Bob

Bob I would be interested in building one for my system that I am putting together now and saw the link and it does not look that difficult and was going to build one for myself but always willing to work with others and pop out a few of these. If you decide to do it just shoot me a pm and let me know where and when and I will look at link again might have some of the tools or access to them for a weekend.
Eric

Eric,
Great. we could use my garage and I can dust off all the old wood working tools as well, drill press, cutoff saw, router table, etc... probably not able to do this weekend but next weekend might work out. I haven't done much work with acrylic but the rest looks straight forward.
Bob

Man, I would be very interested in a workshop. If you guys are inviting folks who know nothing about building things, I would be happy to visit HD with you, buy the materials, do what I can to build, and pay you for your time and equipment use.

wow...sounds like we have the start of a build party! Yep Cliff, I'm in Zachary Woods subdivision. So far as I'm concerned, you all are welcome. I'm no expert but I can usually figure it out.
Not sure if I hijacked Terry's thread or not, if so we can move this to another DIY thread.
Bob

We could possibly do a workshop... Brian has built a few of these now.

Jenn

This is a great thread and I looked at the link. The missing piece of the puzzle here is how to determine the diameter and height to build one. Anybody got a formula?

We can use my shop one weekend as well if you guys like. Got all the tools needed . I have one so I don't need one but will be glad to assist. I have run one for over two years now so I know enough to be dangerous.

Back