DIY denitrator - anyone build one?

LOL...wow talk about sudden excitement on this. As I said earlier that I decided to break out my algae scrubber and get it up and running to fix my 65 gallon tank. I believe I'll have the algae under control in another month or so.

But I am setting up a 95 gallon tank right now would be also interested in building one for that to prevent any algae getting hold in the system. So yeah...count me in!! :thumbs:

I'd be in on a group build. I've got assisted on building several large ones before but would like to make a small one for my own little 58, count me in.

i am interested i realy dont need one yet so i can bild you one au01st if they are easy i can make 2

That'd be awesome. I can cover the materials of course. I actually have a lot of the stuff here to make one, but have been unable to find the right sized drill bits and thread taps...

I built one based on the RC thread and it works great. You guys will love it, but be sure to research it's effects on alk. Ihad to bump up my CA reactor output to combat my denitrator's drops were pretty noticeable.

If all that is interested and/ or want one built will pm me with your tank volumes ,I will calculate the media that is required. We will also need a maxijet for each one. You can use an old one but I would start with a new one since circulation is really important. you will need a nitrate test kit as well. Maybe we can put together a small group buy and see what Jenn can do for us, she and Brian are knowledgable as well and we can support a lfs sponsor:thumbs:

PM sent.

And Smoothie,
My algae scrubber has been up and running for just under 2 weeks now. Green algae is starting to go on it. I need to find a small light that I can put on the other side of it to increase the surface area for it to grow on.

JennM;379202 wrote: We made ours out of 2 Phosban reactors. LSM (Live Sulphur Media) in one, Aragonite Reactor Media (ARM) in the other.
Jenn,
can you put up a picture? I like the idea of making it out of two manufactured units.. (how did you plumb the circulation pump? how does your water supply connect, etc.)

Bad quality picture - camera phone. My better camera is at home.

2 Phosban reactors mounted on a piece of plywood as a base.

A customer has brought us a piece of acrylic he wants us to mount his on (when Brian builds it).

Maxijet 1200 pushing water through it.

It's pretty simple, really.

Jenn
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
388945=19136-reactor.jpg
>
388945=19136-reactor.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reactor.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

And yes, those are bioballs in the background. This is our fish-only sell system. No live rock in this system - not practical to have it in this particular system, so bioballs are among the biological media we use.

Jenn

Jenn,
What is your flow rate thru the reactors?
Dave

JennM;388945 wrote: Bad quality picture - camera phone. My better camera is at home.

2 Phosban reactors mounted on a piece of plywood as a base.

A customer has brought us a piece of acrylic he wants us to mount his on (when Brian builds it).

Maxijet 1200 pushing water through it.

It's pretty simple, really.

Jenn

That is the $64 question. We have a flow meter but haven't put it on. Brian dialed it back to what he describes as "very slow" (not very scientific, is it?).

A Maxijet 1200 pushes at MAX, 295 GPH but that's using it as a powerhead, not a pump.

It pushes water up about 3 1/2' up from the sump to the unit, so it loses flow to head pressure.

He also has a valve on it to dial it back so even at that, it's not even close to running wide open.

I'll see if I can nudge him to put the flow meter on it. It's actually offline right now as the system was treated with PraziPro and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, one or the other reacts - water clouds - so he took it offline.

The downside is he'll have to clean the whole unit out and replace the media and get it going again once the treatment is complete. I'll post an update when he puts it back online again.

Jenn

Reason I ask is that most denitrators have only a few drops per second flow thru them. I'm at about 6/second right now on the unit I just brought on line.

I feed mine from a PVC manifold (ball valved) I have the return pump hooked thru.

Brian tweaked this one quite a bit when he first got it up and running, until he was satisfied with the flow-through. And it's slow but perhaps not that slow (but it is on a 700g or so system)...

When he gets it back online I'll ask him to put the flow meter on it so we have real numbers.

Jenn

Back