DIY half round acylic refugium

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
Anyone ever try this? I'm looking to build a show refugium on the end of my tank, like a 10 gallon U shape........ 12 inches wide at it's flat end, and about 18 inches tall.

I could purchase the thickest acyrlic sheet that would bend, and have even experiment with laminating two acylic sheets together with a product called LEXEL, which could add extra strenght. Laminating the two sheets acually looks great on a small scale, but bubbles collect between the two sheets on a larger scale.

Whats the chances this would work?

as for a tip on how to get that perfect curve, i have seen a guy stick a large pot on its side into his oven and then laying a sheet of acrylic ontop of it, as the acrylic softens it will bend to the curvature of the pot. there may be other ways to do this, but this one was pretty cool. ill try to find you the thread

Make sure your oven is calibrated to the temperature it says it is or you may end up with a stinky oven. I read about someones adventure making a DIY curved nano and he had that issue.

Checkout nano-reef.com...there are a few posts in the DIY section about bending acrylic (including the pot).

Back