Build: 200 gallon frag system

How are you going to do your electrical? Are you housing the electrical connections outside the box as much as possible? I feel like it’s going to corrode the metal on everything pretty quickly if it’s left inside.

For electrical I purchased hole covers like you may see on the desk top, to pass cables through. I will drill holes at the points i need pass the cables through, and plug them up outside. I don't think I will need to keep any electrical outlets inside the system at all. Should help protect the power bricks and also make it look pretty clean.

I am going to try to run humidity inside the system at around 52% . I read a little and it said mold is an issue north of 55% so I want to skirt that edge as much as I can to keep evap as low as possible. As to when things start rusting, maybe I should be looking into that as well.

Today at lunch, I got the tanks completely drained, wiped down and cranked the dehumidifier back up. I saw absolutely no issues with the rubber, it's even less tacky than it was before so I am extremely confident I have the problems worked out now.

Going to fill it this morning and drain it this evening.
On a side note, just purchased on the Seneye reef monitor with the wifi web server for monitoring. Supposed to be a pretty good par meter as well. Pretty excited to get this.

I looked at controllers primarily for dosing but I just don't think it will work because on one day I can have 50 frags in the system, and the next 350. there's just not a lot of dosing automation that can make sense. I am going to write a quick application to log my tests, and dosing as well as coral frag count, in hopes that as my data set grows, I can start to use the data to predict my consumption based at a per coral level.

Going to fill it this morning and drain it this evening.
On a side note, just purchased on the Seneye reef monitor with the wifi web server for monitoring. Supposed to be a pretty good par meter as well. Pretty excited to get this.

I looked at controllers primarily for dosing but I just don't think it will work because on one day I can have 50 frags in the system, and the next 350. there's just not a lot of dosing automation that can make sense. I am going to write a quick application to log my tests, and dosing as well as coral frag count, in hopes that as my data set grows, I can start to use the data to predict my consumption based at a per coral level.

I'm interested in your application - what platform etc do you intend to utilize?

I am a .net developer, so I will probably lean into that, probably just a website, subdomain of my biz site. So yeah, .net/ms sql server on the backend, should be fun.

Ideally, just a simple site where I can enter number of corals, and measured parameters, and then build in the logic based on the size of the tanks so it can tell me what to dose. I am hoping that within a few months of this I can test less, and allow it to predict the dosing.

Alright, and so begins the weekend.

I started by drilling the first couple pass through holes for electrical connections. All plugs will be outside the room, I think this is just a bit wiser in general.
IMG_1353.jpg

Then for funzies, I went ahead and added the sand. the 160 i purchased a while back was actually a very good estimate, sand bed is about an inch, maybe inch and a half deep, and loving the look
IMG_1356.jpg IMG_1357.jpg

Now it's time to make water. my only goal is to fill one half of it, and get the system idling just in one tank so I can fully break down the tank upstairs, get the sump cleaned and put down here, and then get everything plumbed up to go live with the full system.

So i am confident I am going to have my 10-20 half dead corals in this system by sunday night. exciting stuff :D

Whoops, forgot to post, System is up and running on one side.
59DFE625-FAE4-4FAB-8003-F5D355CFD1E7.jpg

Currently working on prototyping the mounts for the lighting.
image.png

Hoping to have the lighting all done by the weekend, then on to plumbing so I can get the sump and second tank up and going.

Got all the light mounts built installed, and grabbed a quick photo under full actinic for fun. Loving the way it looks!
IMG_0653.JPG

Okay, wasn't an overly productive weekend, but I did get the return system roughed in, and will over next week be gluing it.
also got the overflow hoses taken care of, though I have concerns with it's performance, I am hoping it will be just fine.

IMG_1406.jpg
IMG_1407.jpg <- the left side is tee'd off to allow me to control flow through my little refugium I am going to spin up.
IMG_1408.jpg

Thanks, it's so close! I am about 90 gallons of water, and some pvc glue away from wrapping this build up :D

Okay guys, I think it's time to wrap up this build thread.
Both tanks are running through the sump, and now it's just a matter of tweaking, and adjusting. The tank has had some frags (about 15) in it for about ten days now with no losses, and in fact one of my acans got uppity and grew another head. Zoas are open, and happy, and the fish are doing just fine.

Some things I have planned moving forward:

1. Installing an air circulation duct outside the box which will pump air from the top of the room down under the left tank so I can place dehumidifer and ac under the tanks.
2. installing a monitor for humidity and temp inside the box so I can keep an eye on that.
3. install the portable ac unit, route vent pipe through wall, and install a port on my garage door so it can vent outside.
4. finalize wiring, and plug pass through holes with insulation, general clean up.
5. install wifi camera so I can keep an eye on it.

(none of these things are worth continuing to update the thread, they are just environmental tweaks.)

So in terms of the technical aspects of the project...

1. dimensions: 7.5w x 7h x 10long (ft)
2. Total cost ~2000 to 2500 not including aquarium equipment
3. Time to build: ~4 months
4. total tank volume including sump ~165gallons
5. total usable area for frags/coral: ~32 square feet with comfortable room for between 500-600 frags. (well spaced)

Some things I would have done differently:
1. Would have built my own sump, spanning the space between the tanks, and just a simple waterfall overflow into it.
2. Would have done the ceiling and wall paneling before building the tanks (would have been way easier)
3. Would have not screwed up the curing my first attempt at liquid rubber :D

I am setting a reminder at 3 and 6 months to come back and post about it's performance over time.

Thank you all for your advice, and encouragement. Would have been a lot less fun without people to talk about it with. If you have any questions or want to come see it, shoot me a PM.

If anyone wants to test out liquid rubber, I have about a half gallon left, and that geotextile tape you are supposed to use for the corners, shoot me a PM.

pic1.png
pic2.png

Looks awesome. Whatd you end up using for the lights? I see LEDs and was wondering if you were getting a good dispersion with and without your cover. You know what you are getting PAR wise? Mostly curious because I'd like to do something similar in my house soon.
Also any fish gone in yet?
Definetly would love to hear how this goes 3-6months from now.

I actually switched to clear acrylic for the covers, and the LEDs are doing okay, I think my par levels as far as my seneye says are around 100, but i really really question the accuracy of seneye par meter. I have done some tests under some other lights and it really seems to measure too low.

For fish, I have a wrasse who hasn't killed the one crab yet so pretty happy about that. and two clowns, all three are currently on one side, eating and doing well.
I am installing the air circulation system on sunday, it will pull air from the top and push it down to the bottom under the tank. I am also going to test whether or not during the mid temp and may summer months if I can simply take that same duct, and route it outside, so air would pull in from the garage, and be pumped outside. I believe if I can keep my temps at 85 or below, I wont need to use an AC at all.

I am in woodstock if you would like to come by and see it.

I actually switched to clear acrylic for the covers, and the LEDs are doing okay, I think my par levels as far as my seneye says are around 100, but i really really question the accuracy of seneye par meter. I have done some tests under some other lights and it really seems to measure too low.

For fish, I have a wrasse who hasn't killed the one crab yet so pretty happy about that. and two clowns, all three are currently on one side, eating and doing well.
I am installing the air circulation system on sunday, it will pull air from the top and push it down to the bottom under the tank. I am also going to test whether or not during the mid temp and may summer months if I can simply take that same duct, and route it outside, so air would pull in from the garage, and be pumped outside. I believe if I can keep my temps at 85 or below, I wont need to use an AC at all.

I am in woodstock if you would like to come by and see it.
Ya for sure I'd love to see it at some point. Its a little far away from me I'm in Suwanee, but Ill definitely try to make it over sometime. Im always one for if it grows it really doesnt matter what the par is lol. My measurements have never been accurate but I always have good growth and colors so I roll with it.

Sure, if you are ever out in this area, just shoot me a PM. I believe the Seneye is known to not measure LED very well because of the way they designed the PAR meter. it's highly dependent on angle.

I did a test when I first got it where I put an off brand led fixture over it about 5 inches and it only measured about 220 par. The light is quite bright so that leads me to think it is measuring too low.
par test.jpg

I think I am due for an update in about a week. It's going really well, no coral loss. I had to make some adjustments which I will discuss in detail when I do my update. I think around the 15th I will be writing it out.

The three month update~

Okay, the system has been up for three months.
Just to quickly update the status, it's going really well. Coral is doing fine, no leaks, or degradation at all.

Temp Control -
One of the issues I was worried about was temp control being in my garage. To better deal with summer heat, I installed duct system and a unit to pull air out of it, and vent it outside. What this creates is a negative air pressure inside the room, which keeps my garage from building humidity. During the winter months, this duct will be routed down, and back into the room, creating a circular air flow, so the dehumidifier can more effectively do it's job.
When it was cold, the dehumidifier worked perfectly to keep the room quite warm. (with it on full time, it would easily climb to 80 inside the room, while the garage was in the 30s. During these spring months, I have observed temps outside reaching 90, and my water temp didn't go over 76.5. I at this point do not think I will need to even use the portable ac unit I purchased.

IMG_1664.jpg

Flow -
Still a bit of issue here, tanks are so long, and so shallow, I am working to build up the flow. Replaced my cheapy power heads with sicce voyager powerheads. I like them, but they aren't exactly powerhouses. I am considering adding two more mid way through the tank to keep the water moving.

Return pump-
Okay, here's an important change, if you review my earlier pictures, you will find I had one rather large sicce pump. What I found was that if the system lost power, it would come back on with uneven flow. one tank would receive more flow than the other. the way the pump was teed off to the two tanks allowed it to basically pic a direction, and send most flow that way. I decided to go to two pumps to correct this issue. each tank is getting 600 gph now without any more issues with balance.
IMG_1662.jpg

Lighting -
I posted on facebook that I was working on using a very cheap lighting. That is fully implemented. I am using 5 30watt led lights on each side (current usa's are now gone). They are working pretty great, coral seem just fine, no complaints here. The blue is intense, and I had to take a picture under gel filter otherwise it smurfs everything :D
IMG_1660.jpg IMG_1659.jpg

Other additions -
1. Added a unit that monitors temp and humidity in the room
-Done so I can compare ambient temp, to outdoor temp, to tank water temp. Also to ensure that humidity doesn't climb too high in the room.
2. Added a new RODI system outside the room, that is tubed directly into my ATO
-Now when I need to refill my 45 gallon reservoir, I simply connect a hose to the RODI, and let it run for a while. Top offs are at about 10 days in length.
3. Added security camera for remote monitoring
4. Added a power monitor for the system
-was curious what kind of power the entire system is using, turns out during the warmer time when the heaters aren't working it's running 10.5 KWH a day (around $1.25 a day)
5. Vinyl on the rim of the tanks
-The liquid rubber tends to be sticky if you leave something sitting on it. I took some self adheasive vinyl, and wrapped the rim area of the tank with it and that's solved.

Upcoming additions -
1. One of those mechanical filter sock things
-I'm over filter socks, going to move to this and never look back :D
2. Some sort of wifi dosing pump
-While I doubt I will ever use it automated, I want to be able to dose a certain amount from my phone without any hassle.

As far as the business, it's starting to warm up. I only resumed online sales a week or so ago. I am in talks with some manufacturers on a major improvement in the insulation of my shipments so that's exciting. My current insulation is pretty good though. I just successfully shipped to Alaska :D That's over 4000 miles away! Crazy!

I did get reviewed by a pretty great youtuber, I'm posting the link just because I am pretty proud of it, not trying to advertise here.
(if you like his video style, please do subscribe, he's a great guy, great channel)

--> Youtube review of my shipment

That's it for now, on wards and upwards!

I'll update at six months!

Last edited:
Back