DIY Kalk reactor doesnt work.

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I built the reactor detailed in http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2039&highlight=diy+Kalk+reactor">this</a> thread, and have been using it for a few weeks now. I wanted to post this first off as FYI if anyone didn't know, and secondly as a WTF if there are any solutions.

Initially, the effluent was great at 12.3, but now over the course of just a few weeks (maybe 2-3?) the effluent has dropped to 10.3. My assumption is that the water cant keep the kalk suspended very well, at least not in the high concentration. And since the reactor does not employ a stirrer, it just settles out over time. The flow of the ATo just isn't enough to get the water good and saturated.

I have a deltec stirrer, but it works on gravity, not pressure, and since I have a sump it's a PITA. I was hoping this would work.

Odd, mine has been working flawlessly for over 2 years now. How much kalk you putting in the chamber? ie. how full is it.

glxtrix;175812 wrote: Odd, mine has been working flawlessly for over 2 years now. How much kalk you putting in the chamber? ie. how full is it.

how full should it be

Umm, maybe 1.5" of it is kalk. I have it where it is forced up through the bottom and effluent is off the top. Have you tested your effluent runoff PH? I'd love to know how you're doing it if its possible.

I'll check my pH when I get home. I generally have the bottle at least half full. Not too much more because the kalk will run out into the tank....not necessarily bad, but should be avoided it possible. If it's running too low, the problem with these non-stirrer units is it can create channeling in the tank. Best thing to do it open it up and mix the kalk, or shake the bottle. just make sure you let it settle before running the top off again. Check to see if there is channeling issues, that might very well be your problem. I'm a little confuse about how you have yours set up....so you 're doing it different than how the directions said to have it from the page you listed?

I'll check mine later today as well. I have the actual unit that Mark (Flyingarmy) built and documented in that thread. It's been working great and I've seen good growth in the tank--but I haven't checked the effluent lately...

I did it exactly as Mark did, except I added a little filter foam to keep the kalk from clogging the inlet holes on the siphon. When the JBJ ATO detects low water, the peristaltic pump pumps RO through the reactor and into the sump. It is set up to run reversely, the incoming water going through the siphon, forcing up through the kalk, and out.

The kalk i the reactor sits just above the holes that the water comes into the chamber through. I'm not sure what you mean by channeling. Do you mean the water works it's way through a tunnel, then, by way of least resistance, continues through there not being fully saturated?

I may add more kalk today and see if that works over time. I am nowhere near half full, more like 1/8th

Yeah raise the amount of kalk, too little wont do too much for you. By channeling I mean.....kalk can become pasty in these reactors, esp if it's not stirred up properly....a poorly powered PH can cause this....or one thats too strong. Anyways, the water thats being pushed down the tube and out those little holes cause a jet of water....over time its' possible for those jet to create a tunnel in the kalk....think of digging a tunnel in snow or underground. Seeing how there is a tunnel now, water will always go thu that area. This in turn could result in lowering the pH because it's not properly mixing the kalk. If this is the problem, adding more kalk and occasionally shaking the unit will help this problem out.

You don't have enough kalk; add more and you'll be fine. You want the "powder" to settle out of the water. What's left is limewater. Theoretically, the powder has inpurities that you don't want in your tank. So, the clearer the solution, the better. Although, with that setup, you don't really have too great a control over it. But, as Lee pointed out, it's not a big deal if some powder gets into the system.

fwiw, I've dumped kalk directly into the sump and nothing died! :D

I don't use a pump. My RO/DI is plumbed to the Kalk reactor and from there to a float valve in the sump. There's also a solenoid on the line that allows water to flow for a max of 15 minutes 3 times a day.

redesign the kalk reactor? I wouldnt do anything different to it. I use a MJ1200 from my top off and it run thu a tunze check valve (spring spring in there so at least a 1200 was needed for me) Check valve obviously stops back siphon of kalk water from going into my top off container.

I bought something from HD...its a connector for 5/8" (could totally be wrong here..maybe 1/2") down to 1/4" Works great. yeah with the aqua lifter I dont know if you'll need the check valve. I know with a PH you will because of the sudden stop of flow will kick back water.

Ok, i filled it on up. Obviously, effluent is back up to 12.3. Hopefully it will stay that way. Will keep you posted.

Back