Dmitri's 1000 gal DT journey!

I’m continue to battle phosphates:
Changed concentration of lanthanum 2 days ago, where I double it.
9/22/2020
224ml lanthanum to 3500ml ro water
Started dosing:
100ml dosing start
Yesterday went up to 300ml. I wonder what test results will be today.
Before dosing reading was .17ppm Hannah UL

This is what test chart looks like:
BC5D3A16-E8D6-415D-8206-16CBB4304DAE.png
05C2EE61-436D-4CA7-A9B2-FFA2E44DEE4F.png

This is my concern with my system and why I'm doing my best to nuke the rock as best I can so if it builds up I'll know the problem will not be coming from it.

Besides lanthanum what are you using for export?

This is my concern with my system and why I'm doing my best to nuke the rock as best I can so if it builds up I'll know the problem will not be coming from it.

Besides lanthanum what are you using for export?
GFO, little bit of Chaeto
I’ve noticed that problem started to creep up after I put in 60lbs of dry rock in.

Adam knows about this but I always bleach and then rinse and rinse all my rocks. Sorry to hear that you are going through this tho
Oh great to hear that, I honestly think it’s all related to not doing water changes for 9 months with slowly creeping up. This is a good learning curve for on lanthanum chloride dosing. I feel like I’m almost at the control level for these phosphates ...

Oh great to hear that, I honestly think it’s all related to not doing water changes for 9 months with slowly creeping up. This is a good learning curve for on lanthanum chloride dosing. I feel like I’m almost at the control level for these phosphates ...
The rock I've got from Hui was pretty clean and I've gotten a lot from him...
But I've also gotten a bunch of rock from many other sources, I'm nuking it all.

The last batch I have soaking is pretty heavy on Pukani & Figi. It's been peroxide bathed and has been sitting in bleach water for weeks. The extended time is due to my knee. Hoping to drain & rinse soon then a citric acid bath, rinse and dry.

With PO4 I prefer to use a fuge or ATS, for me ATS, to handle the nutrients. Lanthanum is for a bad problem to safely bring it down over a few days and not a permanent, long term, solution. At the very least I think you should get a solid fuge up and running and not rely on mechanical/chemical bandaids to do the heavy lifting.

I can help you design and build a big ATS if you're interested. The lights will be the most expensive part the rest is pretty cheap stuff. I use dimmable ballasts for my lights and they're controlled by my Apex. I could also build a light for a fuge for you, Just a shit ton of 660nm red stars with a few 420nm in a 5/1 ratio. I had a LONG email & PM conversation with Bill Carlson (Floyd R Turbo on a lot of boards). He walked me through everything I needed to make my lights bad ass algae growers. I like buying cheap Amazon LED floods and rebuilding them because the have pretty good IP67 heatsink housings and a power cord. Gut them, add in new powered drivers, thermal epoxy in the LED's and solder in the contacts.

I love how inexpensive lanthanum is, gonna see how it works in a long run.

GFO, little bit of Chaeto
I’ve noticed that problem started to creep up after I put in 60lbs of dry rock in.

Remember on a tank your size you will need about 125 pounds of chaeto to see any positive effects.

Are you running an ATS? If not I HIGHLY suggest you do so on a tank that large. Once making that switch I have no more high PO4’s, etc. worth their weight in gold for big systems. Small systems too. Let me know we can talk more about it on the phone.

Remember on a tank your size you will need about 125 pounds of chaeto to see any positive effects.

Are you running an ATS? If not I HIGHLY suggest you do so on a tank that large. Once making that switch I have no more high PO4’s, etc. worth their weight in gold for big systems. Small systems too. Let me know we can talk more about it on the phone.
You and Adam recommend ATS, I’m gonna have to look into it.

I recommend building one. I probably have about $350 to $400 in mine and it's bigger than that one. Most of that cost is in building the lights.
For the cost of one of those Clear Water's I could help you build one that could use a full sheet of plastic canvas 18x10.

If I was going to buy one I'd get one from Turbo.
On your tank you'd need an L16 and it's expensive, you'd also have to get on a waiting list.

I did quite a bit of research on ATS a while back - general consensus has been that any of the commercially produced ones have silly little problems like leaking around fittings, getting plugged up and overflowing etc etc.

The guy at Turbo Aquatics Adam mentions seems to build the only one out there (that I researched) that isn't an overpriced hunk of junk.

Bill does charge a premium for his units but they are pretty bullet proof. I will say he is a great guy and fully supports diy people. You'll see that on the forum he has on his site. You can also see how supportive on most any site out there, like RC & R2R. Just look for posts by Floyd R Turbo on any mainstream site.

He didn't hesitate to help me when I needed to upgrade the Amazon grow lights I have. Over a couple weeks we probably had over 50 emails and private messages. He directed me on what quality LEDs I need to buy and where to get them & the drivers at the best price. How to lay out the led grid and a wiring diagram. He did basically everything but build the damn things.

So I’ve ordered a few things to get these phosphates under control....
First my refugium lights been acting up so I’ve sent a ticket to Kessell to repair these two h380s. Meanwhile I’ve ordered smaller ones, two of h160. Should be good enough for the size of 75gallon refugium.
Second, I’ve ordered four these cheaper lights on amazon for DIY project (algae scrubber)
I’m hoping these works out well, I may build 2-3 more.
Meanwhile I’ve been dosing lanthanum manually but I want set up drip system of lanthanum right into skimmer. Still figuring out logistics of that.

D07F20D9-6A1E-4EE7-9AAF-433410B739C7.jpeg
Here is a start to a future 15-gallon kalkwasser reactor.
D1B3C2FA-7994-4CE7-9E41-C6A496C30CF4.jpeg

Back