Dmitri's 1000 gal DT journey!

I’m doing some maintenance today
-Refill two-part 5gal buckets (every 50days)
-premix kalkwasser (weekly)
-clean ATS (weekly)
-symphony / water changer refugium ,rinse off chaeto (monthly)
-dosing vodka (daily, 24.2ml)
-replace GFO (every 4 weeks)
-replace carbo (as needed)

-water testing :
Alk - 9.3dkh (daily)
Salinity - 34.7ppt (daily)
Phosphates - .03ppm (every other day)
Calcium - 440ppm (weekly)
Magnesium - 1600ppm (weekly, going to retest tomorrow)
Nitrates - ...
3D77D0B8-CC0E-4D1A-B669-6B66C59CA595.jpeg

Happy 2021 Everyone!
Here is what I’m planning for this year.
1. I need to redo aquascape on my tank. What I would like is to create a floating reef with nothing touching bottom glass. This will require some interesting shelves that would be mounted on the back of the tank. Logistics needs to be figured out.
One main reason for doing this besides how cool 8-900lbs of rock floating is getting rid off an detritus and dead spots that collect it.

2. I am planning to add sand filter. Tired of dealing with filtersocks. Logistics of installing it needs to be worked out. Idea is to install 1000gallon barrel in the garage where fresh water will be stored. Plumbing it to sand filter for flashing out / cleaning periodically. Just like they do with swimming pools. Then once it’s cleaned out reconnecting to the mai filtration system of the tank.

I would like to get some assistance from someone who has done that on public aquariums or swimming pools before. Any recommendations/ tips would be appreciated!

3. Need to built and install ATS, I’ve been borrowing one from a friend and love how its working so far.

Cheers and looking forward to more updates !
E2C085DA-33E2-4A7A-85B7-81427B555F99.jpeg
E29DBC0F-2ECC-4D66-B82D-38AFEA410821.jpeg
07504373-A0C7-43EF-B913-BEDF2BAB2B10.jpeg

Well I just had a true disaster happened with tank. One of the unions started to leak so I decided to tighten it and ended up breaking union in main manifold. Now I did think it’s possible to do that so I did not take step precautions steps like turning off one of the pumps and shutting part of the manifold off...
0AA0C4D8-38D5-411F-84DA-A3CDA1EB5717.jpegWhen I cracked it, between two main pumps it’s about 8-10k gallons of water per hour pressure. So much splashing water comes out.. I immediately turned off main valve and shut off on the pumps.
8EFEADC1-B4A4-42F4-B46B-CA4F130306ED.jpeg

I then cut off the pipe and cap sealed the manifold part. Anyways in two years I have never turned off main part of the tank manifold, so all water that was going to the one side of the tank was redirected to other side and everywhere else. After I finished sealing I’ve looked at my reactors and both calcium reactors were leaking from all the water pressure.
Fixing that was as big of a deal but that’s definitely the down side of having manifold. When one thing is adjusted, everything had to be adjusted as well.

running my tank on one pump at the moment while cap is curing over night...

crazy crazy plumbing ... glad I didn’t get electrocuted with all that water splashing.

40199761-C0CE-476A-9E8E-1DACF8F0333E.jpeg

the water pressure was almost as bad as this guy

Last edited:
Back