Dry rock/ live sand....

billyocean

Supporting
Reaction score
Seriously have searched this topic ad nauseum. Nothing really concrete. Long story...somewhat short. Tank is jbj 28 w/ in tank basket. Added BRS reef saver around 30lbs thursday..got temp and sg right and put 20 lbs carb-sea live special grade in. After that cleared up went to optimum on Sunday and snagged 2.5 pounds of LR to help seed a little more. Did an ammonia test a few hours later and was a hair above .5, nitrites were about 0 from looking down from the open top with salifert kit. BTW they were out of red Sea ammonia kits..so went api. Forgot red Sea amm when BRS ordering. No leaching phosphates as of yet. All tests are salifert except ammonia. Tested today and ammonia seems closer to 1 ppm...perhaps .75ish and nitrite seemed to be about .5ish. Anyhoo...should I add any ammonia or let this thing just run its course for what I have? Temp is 78. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I would say be patient and let it go. Most things I read about adding ammonia to cycle said not to go much over 2ppm anyway or else you run the risk of slowing the cycle down.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Did you add any more bacteria or just what came with the live sand? Imo, especially since using dry rock, there really wasn't much bacteria to "seed" the tank with. Your tank has been cycling less than a week? I would let it run its course.....it could take up to 4-6 weeks.

If you want to speed up the process I would probably pour in some Microbacter 7/Dr Tims One and Only, and then dose ammonium to 2ppm and let the cycle do its thing....it cut my cycle down to 2-3 weeks

Patience is all thats needed when cycling (I would also keep your lights off).

Added a couple small pieces of LR
.no additional additives. Lights were only on for the picture

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yeah, im saying that a couple small pieces of live rock should be enough to kickstart the cycle, but its going to take a few weeks.. just have to be patient and measure ammonia every couple of days.

Dump some bio-spira in it. I set up my 75g sunday and dumped a bottle in, and tossed in two chromis. I used about 70lbs of dry rock, and 60lbs of arag-alive sand. Check it last night. Hardly any ammonia (~.25ppm), about 5ppm of Nitrite (not sure how the fish haven't died), and about 20ppm of Nitrate. So the bio-spira helps to kickstart the cycle. The fish help put ammonia in the water, and I added some fish food for the "ghost feeding". I also give the chromis mysis.

telsonman;1111299 wrote: Dump some bio-spira in it. I set up my 75g sunday and dumped a bottle in, and tossed in two chromis. I used about 70lbs of dry rock, and 60lbs of arag-alive sand. Check it last night. Hardly any ammonia (~.25ppm), about 5ppm of Nitrite (not sure how the fish haven't died), and about 20ppm of Nitrate. So the bio-spira helps to kickstart the cycle. The fish help put ammonia in the water, and I added some fish food for the "ghost feeding". I also give the chromis mysis.

Respectfully I would not add any fish to your tank until your tank is cycled. I agree with the bacteria in a bottle to help speed the cycle up. I personally prefer Seachem Stability.

I just cycled my 265g with ammonia and seed(Seachem) it took 3 weeks to cycle, I am now feeding the tank a cube and 1/2 of frozen food and testing every 2 days, I will do this for a few weeks If you overload your tank you can have the cycle start again. I have seen so many people put fish in too early, then wonder why their fish get ick or they just die. This is the 15+- tank I have cycled, my livestock has been healthy and long lived. A little extra cycling time can save a lot of headache and heartache not to speak of $$$.:fish::D

Back