Ecotech Marine Vortech Vs. Jebao Powerheads

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
What is the ARC fan favorite Powerhead? Anyone use both and can provide opinions on pros and cons of each?

I don't use both but I do prefer the Jebao RW's. I've gotten great wear out of mine (with regular maintenance) and at their price point, I could replace them 4 times before I've hit the price of a Vortech.

porpoiseaquatics;1067451 wrote: I don't use both but I do prefer the Jebao RW's. I've gotten great wear out of mine (with regular maintenance) and at their price point, I could replace them 4 times before I've hit the price of a Vortech.

I hate to say it but I'm in the same boat with Jeff, I have 4 vortech on my present tank when I first set it up and decided to give the jebao a shot.
what I sold one used mp40 for I bought 2 new rw15's and they have been on the tank for atleat 8-9 months now with about any issues and their getting the job done.

I have used both and it's really hard to compare the two... Different animals. Minor problems with the Jeboas (one needed cleaning and alignment every few weeks) and I had to replace the controller on the other). I was always watchful of the Jeboa... Anticipating failure.

Not so with the Vortech where I have full confidence. The undertow (lacking in the Jeboa) is great, plus full Apex control. Again... Different animals.

While I haven't owned a Vortech the Jaebos I have now and in the past have always done a great job. The WPs were a little harder to wire up to the Apex. But, now the RWs are easily connected to the Apex and controlled just like the Vortechs. I only had one controller go bad on me. :)

Been a Tunze guy for years and I've since converted to MP60's and MP40's in my large DT. I also run Jebao's in my frag system also. First set of RW 15's Jebaos died after a while and I've been running RW 8's in my 60 DD frag tank and they perform great.

However I just love my Vortech pumps. I have a APEX and elect not to control them for various reasons on the APEX. I use a Ecotech Reeflink to control my Radion's, MP60's and MP40's. The features and use of the Reeflink and functionality is simply awesome. The MP's have several different flow modes including a GYRE mode and the pumps move lot's of water and my SPS love it.

The reeflink can be controlled by your phone, PC or IPAD. The change of functionality is precise and very easy to use compared to using it with an APEX.

Reefkeeper;1067466 wrote: Been a Tunze guy for years and I've since converted to MP60's and MP40's in my large DT. I also run Jebao's in my frag system also. First set of RW 15's Jebaos died after a while and I've been running RW 8's in my 60 DD frag tank and they perform great.

However I just love my Vortech pumps. I have a APEX and elect not to control them for various reasons on the APEX. I use a Ecotech Reeflink to control my Radion's, MP60's and MP40's. The features and use of the Reeflink and functionality is simply awesome. The MP's have several different flow modes including a GYRE mode and the pumps move lot's of water and my SPS love it.

The reeflink can be controlled by your phone, PC or IPAD. The change of functionality is precise and very easy to use compared to using it with an APEX.

Explain that last sentence. The Jebao pumps are fully controllable though the Apex with either an aftermarket adapter or the new Icecap from Neptune. Both can be seen through Apex Fusion or Direct Link so I have full control at any time and anywhere. Any change I make is immediate. This goes for my Tunze pumps as well.

lets put it this way, the jebao is the poor man's vortech.
if you we're offered a free jebao or vortech, which would you pick?
I have used both and would say that the vortech has quality, technology, price and a hell of a customer service behind it, what I have accepted about the jebao is that it cost a fraction of the vortech with the sacrifice of some quality and technology for the end result which is good water flow.
The same can be for vortech vs. most other brand of pumps out there.

I have Jebao WP & RW pumps controlled by reef angel. Changes on certain times of the day to different modes and different speeds. Very precise as well ;)

I forgot to mention I can change speeds and modes right from the reef angel app as well. As far as the comment regarding Jebao's is the poor mans vortech, I disagree. Just looking at pros and cons, I can buy several Jebao pumps and never have to worry about contacting customer service and have one readily available if it fails AND still have money in the bank.

Using the anology of a free one doesn't make sense: should be proposed would you want one MP60 or 5 RW15's to compare in pricing AND I would choose 5 RW15s any day.

Going on a year now on the WP and the RW was added a few months back.

Sorry Jeff I never said Jabeos aren't controllable. I was pointing out my preference. Your absolutely right about controlling it with a APEX.

i have 2 jebao wp40s and 2 vortech mp40s in my 265.

2 different applications.

the jebao are more adaptable. however they lose strength easily due to corrosion unlike my mp40s. my wp40s are on my back glass giving vertical flow, my mp40s do the horizontal flow

Of the two listed, I prefer Vortech pumps.

I have more control/options with the Apex. While you can "control" the Jebao pumps with the Apex, it is limited in comparison to options you have with Vortech pumps. I guess if you wanted to spend a whole bunch of time programming the Jebao pumps to do all of the same functions as the Vortech pumps, you could, but they still would not create the kind of flow that the Vortech pumps produce.

Also, when I ran Jebao pumps, I had to constantly keep them clean or they would poop out. My last two Jebao pumps pooped out after about 8 months of use. Maybe they have improved since I last ran them, but I just don't have the patience or time to fiddle around with junk equipment any more. This is just my opinion and experience. I am glad to hear others have had good success with their pumps.

I have two MP40's and one MP ten since 2010. Plus I trust the battery backups.

I had a Jaebo on a mixing container that died within a year.

Vortech for quality and service. I don't have to constantly maintain them; they just work. And if anything happens, ETM will take care of it immediately.

PLUS, I will always support the companies that are investing in the R&D to bring the products we like.

I have used both on my tank and personally I like the jebao RW better since I can aim / angle them to any direction that I like. So far the RW 15 last almost 2 yrs now and still working good. Just got 2 more RW 20 for my 300 tank. So far love them

Ecotech for me...

Really can't compare.... In my opinion....

Like comparing a Michelin tire to a Yokahama....

They both have a market. Do you want the safest, quietest, long lasting? Or a good middle of the road product?

There is no motor in the water.... No stray electricity or heat transfer.... Major controllability differences.... Tried and true running for years with no issues.... Or a good economical version and sacrifice some of those things, but a good option....

Just my $.02

nickg;1067533 wrote: Ecotech for me...

Really can't compare.... In my opinion....

Like comparing a Michelin tire to a Yokahama....

They both have a market. Do you want the safest, quietest, long lasting? Or a good middle of the road product?

There is no motor in the water.... No stray electricity or heat transfer.... Major controllability differences.... Tried and true running for years with no issues.... Or a good economical version and sacrifice some of those things, but a good option....

Just my $.02

what's the better tire?

I have had 2 rw15s in my 120 for a 1 1/2 years with no issues. There is a strong undertow and they are silent and can be angled any way you want. Cords in the water and cleaning every 3 months. Big deal. I have the return pump as well. So impressed I'm looking to upgrade my skimmer to there new coral box cloud c9.

Well, there again Ralph, better for what? Better for me, Michelin. Better for a person who has set aside a lower budget for tires, Yokahama. Will they do fine, yes. Will they ride as good as the Michelin, no. Will they stop in the same distance wet and dry, no... 20-60 feet difference... Figure that in an accident or an almost accident...

Ralph ATL;1067534 wrote: what's the better tire?

Ecotech for me. I've owned both. Yes, I can buy a bunch of Jebao's for the price of an MP. But with he MP I don't ever have to worry about them. MP's are significantly lower maintenance IMO.

I wouldn't refuse to buy a Jebao. I'll probably get one or two more for QT or fuge duty.

Back