Ecotech Marine Vortech Vs. Jebao Powerheads

I am currently in the market to upgrade pumps from Marineland and cheap Ebay pumps to Jebao but, I cant justify in my mind spending almost $300 on a USED Vortec where I can get 3 BRAND NEW Jebao pumps for the same price. I know this hobby costs money but the only place I see myself justifiably spending big bucks is my lighting or my skimmer.

Jebao and vortec do the same thing...push water

tcampbell23;1068805 wrote: I am currently in the market to upgrade pumps from Marineland and cheap Ebay pumps to Jebao but, I cant justify in my mind spending almost $300 on a USED Vortec where I can get 3 BRAND NEW Jebao pumps for the same price. I know this hobby costs money but the only place I see myself justifiably spending big bucks is my lighting or my skimmer.

Jebao and vortec do the same thing...push water

Again, like most comments here, you're right too. Since you're in car sales, I'm sure you would agree, the Chevy Malibu and BMW M5 both are full-size cars that get you from point A to point B? They both just move people.

Seth The Wine Guy;1068818 said:
Again, like most comments here, you're right too. Since you're in car sales, I'm sure you would agree, the Chevy Malibu and BMW M5 both are full-size cars that get you from point A to point B? They both just move people.[/QUOTE

Except once out of warranty that BMW M5's service will cost a MP40 every visit. But the M5 will corner like a dream when you switch lanes on a crawling 285 and it will get you to the next brake light much quicker than the Malibu. Both will take you to the posted speed limit with in 10 seconds. So no that are not the same.:)

Seth The Wine Guy;1068818 wrote: Again, like most comments here, you're right too. Since you're in car sales, I'm sure you would agree, the Chevy Malibu and BMW M5 both are full-size cars that get you from point A to point B? They both just move people.

I completely agree and if I got a choice of one or the other for free, I would take the Vortec with no hesitation but that price point is crazy lol

Matt7;1068243 wrote: I have 2 mp40s on my 120 and I love them and am trying to find a used mp10 for $100 or less for my 40b frag tank. If I can't, think I'm going to go the wp-25 route since people on here seem fond of the jebaos as well

Sorry a little off topic and I've never tried a WP25 in a 40 but my guess is it's too much flow.
Maybe the WP15. Jabeo's don't have the same level of control as Vortech, it might be too much!

Both companies now have dc return pumps on the market. What are your thoughts/experiences with the Jebao pump vs. the Vectra?
I've personally used the Jebao, and am very impressed with how much power the pimp has. Time will tell how long it lasts.

I'll never go back to having a big pump inside my tank shading what's underneath. Vortechs look better, and take a wee bit of heat outside the tank, but are expensive.

kylebolch;1068859 wrote: I'll never go back to having a big pump inside my tank shading what's underneath. Vortechs look better, and take a wee bit of heat outside the tank, but are expensive.
Shading because of pump means you need a larger tank ;). Yea vortechs are great pumps, I'm using 6 jebao pumps and the heat they produce is not noticeable. I've still got the wp40 and have had them for a few years now. So already it's paid for itself. IMO they are not as loud as the vortechs too.

Run two rw-15's and have absolutely no complaints. I'll spend Kia money for Ferrari performance any day. Just like my $82 Mars Aqua led's on my sps dominant reef...

as someone who uses both and has no bias.

the mp40 does what it does virtually maitenance free. and is awesome.

it cannot angle on the back glass. where you stick it. thats what you get.

the wp40s. if all you wanted was lateral flow. will never compete with an mp40. they seem strong at first and no vinegar soak will keep them as strong as out of the box like an mp40. however....

price vs performance.
ecotech you pay a ton more. i mean. kids can buy 5x those wp40s and still be on top. however.... those wp40s need maitenance like none other.

i use both. but i place the wp40s on the back glass. mp40s do the heavy lifting. if i was on a budget and fine with maitenance i see no issue.

i tried wp40s as a mp40 replacement for 6 months before i purchased mine. i will say i was happy with my purchase. the mp40 qd do not disappoint.

to each their own.

Russ-IV;1068990 wrote: as someone who uses both and has no bias.

the mp40 does what it does virtually maitenance free. and is awesome.

it cannot angle on the back glass. where you stick it. thats what you get.

the wp40s. if all you wanted was lateral flow. will never compete with an mp40. they seem strong at first and no vinegar soak will keep them as strong as out of the box like an mp40. however....

price vs performance.
ecotech you pay a ton more. i mean. kids can buy 5x those wp40s and still be on top. however.... those wp40s need maitenance like none other.

i use both. but i place the wp40s on the back glass. mp40s do the heavy lifting. if i was on a budget and fine with maitenance i see no issue.

i tried wp40s as a mp40 replacement for 6 months before i purchased mine. i will say i was happy with my purchase. the mp40 qd do not disappoint.

to each their own.
Fwiw...noting the decrease in performance of the wp40's why aren't you running wp60/rw20's instead?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Skriz;1069023 wrote: Pay up front or pay as you go. Brilliant.
Not exactly, as their is no guarantee you will *need* to pay as you go...

DavidinGA;1069028 wrote: Not exactly, as their is no guarantee you will *need* to pay as you go...

Pretty sure that's exactly what that means.

ETM= amazing warranty and service = pay up front
jaebo= zero warranty or service = pay as you go

DavidinGA;1069002 wrote: Fwiw...noting the decrease in performance of the wp40's why aren't you running wp60/rw20's instead?

I made my purchase with the wp40s before rw system were well-known or vetted. Also... my wp-40s stay on 24/7 nighttime mode as I sucked up too many critters otherwise.

mp40s do the heavy lifting on my rig.

DavidinGA;1069028 wrote: Not exactly, as their is no guarantee you will *need* to pay as you go...

That is true as well. Either is a risk for sure. You may pay for it up front on the ecotech and never use it as well the same holds true for the Jebao. I prefer the latter. I purchased a second one up front so now I have a backup so I guess I paid some upfront.
So far as performance goes I could not say. In my small 45 I couldn't run either one at full speed anyway so I could care less about the GPH. The magical undertow that some think is limited to the Ecotech is absolute complete utter HOG WASH. Any power head is going to pull as much as it pushes if it didn't the prop would cavitate.

Vortechs all the way for me..customer service, actual quality control, and dependable product wins it for me..ive just routinely had bad experiences with everything i bought that was explicitly chinese product..

I have both. Like them both. Ecotech service and reliability are the pluses - Jebao price and ability to angle the direction of flow are its pluses.

I haven't been bored enough to compare flow rates.

Controlability is good on both IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive ran jebaos in all my systems. They are an excellent choice for someone who doesn't have/want to spend a tin of money. They have NEVER failed me. (Ive owned about 8 different ones) If they did I would just buy another at there current price. Theres no way I would even consider buying a Ecotech for what they are asking for them mew. Not when there is another option at a fraction of the price. I think Ecotech are like macbook and other products made by apple. A lot of people buy them because its the "in" thing to do. Its a ststus thing.That way when people look at their tank they will say" wow you have Ecotech ". I dont need some over-priced piece of equipment to make me feel good about myself. I do like my grandfather always said "You dont need a f14 to kill your neighbors dog."(that was the baddest fighter jet back then). Besides this hobbie is expensive enough without having companies like Ecotech jacking up prices on stuff that just because its says " made for marine or salt water on it". Just my 2 cents. To make it worse Ecotech arent even directional! Im sure others will disagree. However Id rather lower their prices so the could sale a lot more of them and their profits will skyrocket! Worked for Bill Gates and the walton family. In the end Id rather spend more money on the fish and corals than the stuff like that. P.s. I do like the whole "less wires in the water thing...that's sweet and would understand if someone chose them for that reason alone.

You can get 6 Jebao SW8 for the price of one Ecotech MP40. I have 6 jebao SW8 pump in use right now and also use their DCP 8000 for my return pump. I think they're awesome. I bought hte extra modules so that they are controlled by my Neptune Apex and two of the coral street battery backups.

So in total I have 6 jebao SW8 powerheads, a 2200GPH return pump, 2 battery backups and the expansion modules allowing the Neptune apex to control it all and I got all of this for the price of two Ecotech MP40s.

Back