Eli's Senior Project

elithelion

Market
Reaction score
This is my last year in high-school, as my final large project I wanted to start a coral propagation center up in the mountains.

My goal is to create a 300gal+ coral propagation system in an affordable and efficient manner.

I'd like to record the construction of the system, growth of corals throughout the school year, propagation techniques, and put them in a blog, online forum, book, or video series.

Finally, at the end of the year all acquired corals will be auctioned off and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to a organization that contributes to re-establishment of coral reefs.

The goal for this project is not only to grow coral, but to educate people about coral and marine ecosystem in a hands on way. That is why my goal isn't just to publish things online, but to make the facility available for younger kids to come and see. I realize it isn't much, but maybe it could inspire children to think of coral as more than plant. Maybe the answer to our vanishing coral reefs lay within the younger generation.

Donations will be accepted and gladly appreciated. All coral donations will be auctioned at the end of the year back to the community. All corals donated will be labeled with an ID which will correspond to the person who donated in a log book. I will then do a monthly update on each piece so the community can see the growth.

Here is the list of potential organizations the proceeds would be donated too.

Coral Restoration Foundation

The Reef Ball Foundation

Coral Cay

Coral Reef Alliance

A poll will be taken to allow the members of the community to decide what organization will receive the proceeds. I will gladly take into consideration and research more organizations if a member has one in mind.

This will be the primary forum that I'll post updates on, but will also try and post identical threads on the other major forums.

If anyone has any questions, comments, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to post them. The project is still in the planning phase so changes are possible. The current system plans and materiel list will be posted soon.

Thank you,

Eli

Eli....what a wonderful undertaking. I wish you the best of luck with this endeavor! Please post your needs here and let's see how much this community can support you.

porpoiseaquatics;1049682 wrote: Eli....what a wonderful undertaking. I wish you the best of luck with this endeavor! Please post your needs here and let's see how much this community can support you.

Thank you. Hopefully later today I'll have the supply list I've been working on.

Very neat! Looking forward to see how you progress. Tagging along!

This will be a list of materials I'm using, as well as basic schematics for the system plumbing.

Materials for system (as of now):

One 100 gallon horse trough will act as the sump for the entire system (Minus quarantine) - Acquired

Four 29 gallon Rubbermaid storage containers. These will act as the frag tanks. I've water tested these and they do not bow. Their dimensions are 20x30x16 - Acquired

For the return pump I'm thinking a Mag 18. This is where I could use ya'lls advice.

Plumbing will be done in 1" diameter 40 PVC. - Acquired

The stand will be made by me using 2x4 studs. - Acquired

As of now the lighting will be 4 Chinese LEDS.

The tank will run a protein skimmer and possibly some media reactors.

Here is a simple plumbing diagram I made on paint. Thank god I don't want to be a graphic designer.

1049742=63854-coral system.png
>
1049742=63854-coral system.png
class="gc-images" title="coral system.png[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

I'm looking to buy about 200lbs of live rock, if anyone has any for sale please let me know.

WOW! Great idea for a senior project. I'm not an expert by any means; probably not even a novice; I've read several threads here at ARC about Mag Pumps causing heat issues with the water table and the pumps are not really energy efficient. That is what I've read here at ARC and I'll now let the experts chime in on which pump would be your best choice.

Will you be putting in any fish? I've read somewhere that fish poop is good for corals; not sure if that's true or not. If you decide on fish, I would be hesitant of adding any tangs without a UV sterilizer. Hospital tank/holding tank for preventative care before the fish go into the main tanks.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1049822 wrote: WOW! Great idea for a senior project. I'm not an expert by any means; probably not even a novice; I've read several threads here at ARC about Mag Pumps causing heat issues with the water table and the pumps are not really energy efficient. That is what I've read here at ARC and I'll now let the experts chime in on which pump would be your best choice.

Will you be putting in any fish? I've read somewhere that fish poop is good for corals; not sure if that's true or not. If you decide on fish, I would be hesitant of adding any tangs without a UV sterilizer. Hospital tank/holding tank for preventative care before the fish go into the main tanks.

Wannabee

Hopefully they'll give me some ideas.

I had thought about some fish. Maybe a kole tang with the new system design (hopefully I'll have it up for critique tomorrow). I think a sixline wrasse would be good for pest control as well.

Great project and well thought out. :). While 6-lines are not great community fish they would be great in the frag tanks. Look into the Jebao DC pumps. Good price with good control features to help balance the system.

Do you think the 3000 would suffice? I was originally going to go 10x total system, but I want to get good skimming. I don't really get the point of having water move through the sump so quickly, when most of the flow to the corals will be supplied by powerheads.

ElitheLion;1049852 wrote: Do you think the 3000 would suffice? I was originally going to go 10x total system, but I want to get good skimming. I don't really get the point of having water move through the sump so quickly, when most of the flow to the corals will be supplied by powerheads.

Agree.

So I've opted to go for one of these

1049865=63856-15050.jpg
>
1049865=63856-15050.jpg
class="gc-images" title="15050.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Rather than a multi tank approach. I believe all the drains and gravity fed pipes on the other system would have made it hard to keep a constant flow and water level. With this system everything will be as simple as possible and I wont have to build such an elaborate stand.

I do have a question for you guys: Do any of ya'll have experience with light movers? I know people use them in hydroponics, but it seems you could do a similar system with a frag tank. And does anyone have a good recommendation for a skimmer? I was thinking Reef Octopus, but I'm open to suggestions.

I know of a system that had a light mover with great success. Not sure of the specifics but the tank was great. I believe it was one 1000 watt MH over a 250 gallon tank. I use a reef octopus and like it a lot.

wildernet;1049904 wrote: I know of a system that had a light mover with great success. Not sure of the specifics but the tank was great. I believe it was one 1000 watt MH over a 250 gallon tank. I use a reef octopus and like it a lot.

I'm still debating it as it looks like it will cost around 150$ new. Thats the price for 2 Chinese LEDS I'm planning on using. I'll probably look into a diy

This will be a post about the space the system will be built in.

The system will be constructed on what is currently my back porch, but it will be walled in and from hence for be known as "The fish room".

Here is a quick shot of what it looks like as of now. Hopefully I will be able to show a progression of construction by the end of the project.

1049915=63864-IMG_20150904_135235139.jpg
>
1049915=63864-IMG_20150904_135235139.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20150904_135235139.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

The space is 8x16 so it will be a pretty decent size. Eventually I hope to have two or three systems in the room.

Here is a scaled floor plan for everything I have now. I'm planning on constructing a mixing station outside of the building which will be plumed where I can get RODI and saltwater inside the room. If anyone has any plans for a good mixing station please let me know.

The main frag system will be made out of a 10ft long livestock feeder. At 12in deep it's a bit shallower than I would have liked, but it should do nicely.

The quarantine system will be a 55 gal long plugged into a plastic 29 gal sump. Pretty simple.

1049915=63865-Floor plan.png
>
1049915=63865-Floor plan.png
class="gc-images" title="Floor plan.png[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

I do have a question for you guys: Do any of ya'll have experience with light movers?

May want to reach out to a member "Spike". I believe that he had one but switched a little while back. Reasearch his build for more info it's got some good stuff

Sewer Urchin;1049921 wrote: May want to reach out to a member "Spike". I believe that he had one but switched a little while back. Reasearch his build for more info it's got some good stuff

Okay, will do.

Back