Emergency QT Tank

tcampbell23

Market
Reaction score
So to finish off my stock list I added a fish a couple days ago that I've dreamed of having for a while. A beautiful powder blue tang.

Butttt... This morning I think I saw one white speck on his fin. I know these guys are ich magnets and that's my primary reason for concern.

I need to set up a QT Tank ASAP to get him out of my tank so I don't risk infecting all of my other livestock.

What do I do??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank with hang on back filter plus heater. Basic.

Medications I'll let pros chime in.

What media do I put in the hang on back filter?

Will getting him out now keep my other fish from getting it?

So what should I do as far as everyone else?

tcampbell23;1071278 wrote: It's says bad link. Is it on your channel?

It worked when I clicked it? Yes it is.

Get all fish in qt tanks and treat with a copper product. Leave the dt fishless for 6 weeks.

billsfan;1071295 wrote: Get all fish in qt tanks and treat with a copper product. Leave the dt fishless for 6 weeks.

Is it possible that it may not even be ich.. It's only ONE spot.. And he's been swimming and eating fine

You could wait to see if more spots show up on him or any other fish first. As long as all fish are eating good.

I use metro and focus by seachem on mysis, freeze it flat in a baggie, feed it a least 3 times a day(as long as they are eating). I have 5 tangs, my oldest is about 5-6 years old he gets ich everytime I add anything to his tank, at least 8 or nine times so far. This works for me. Moving all your fish to a tank that has not been cycled would be very stressful for your animals. Holley

If you need a tank to use, I've got a 10 gallon you can borrow

jgeorge06;1071313 wrote: If you need a tank to use, I've got a 10 gallon you can borrow

Thanks i really appreciate the offer but I have my old 15g column that I'll use

Bgcoop8784;1071315 wrote: personally I would go ahead and get him out and qt, but that's just me. I have had great luck using the hypo salinity method for treating ich, I didn't use meds, but it can take about 8 weeks before returning fish to the display. I also always feed frozen food with selcon with any fish in QT....Selcon may or may not help, but it sure hasn't hurt anything in my experience.

For one spot? I don't want to lose any fish but is it possible that it may not be ich and the catching a switching tanks may stress him out more?

I'm not sure what to do, but i know what not to do,Panic.

grouper therapy;1071330 wrote: Are you running an uv?

No. I've read that unless it's a HUGE UV then they do little good?

Back