Enders Mid Life Crisis Build

By my last Calc, If everything was on at once at full power the fish stuff would be pulling around 9-10kw.

Eventually Ill doing a live calculation and see what things are actually pulling.

I honestly cant stand power heads. They are FUGLY, a PINA to clean, noisy, and the only way to hide them is burring them in rocks you then have to take off to clean them twice a year. The ones in my QT tanks are horrible and constantly start spinning the wrong direction. I actually just got DC power heads it has gotten so annoying. I hope to redo the returns on them so I can get rid of the power heads all together.

Downside to the closed loop is, once the rock is made you cant do much to change things and you will use more power for less flow. But all that noise, is somewhere else and you only have one large pump to clean that wont break or clog if you look at it wrong.

Im also against putting holes in the tank for close loops which is why the display pipes come in from the top. There are holes in the frag tank because there was simply no other way to do it.

I honestly cant stand power heads. They are FUGLY, a PINA to clean, noisy, and the only way to hide them is burring them in rocks you then have to take off to clean them twice a year. The ones in my QT tanks are horrible and constantly start spinning the wrong direction. I actually just got DC power heads it has gotten so annoying. I hope to redo the returns on them so I can get rid of the power heads all together.

Downside to the closed loop is, once the rock is made you cant do much to change things and you will use more power for less flow. But all that noise, is somewhere else and you only have one large pump to clean that wont break or clog if you look at it wrong.

Im also against putting holes in the tank for close loops which is why the display pipes come in from the top. There are holes in the frag tank because there was simply no other way to do it.
That and I would think closed loop systems have horrible resale value since it is designed with what the original owner have in mind, which limits the next buyer. So, careful planning and better be sure its the tank you want for a long time coming...

SSRB!

SALT! - Making the tank look like Tony Montana's desk.
TJitxdV.jpg

SAND! - Making it look like Snoop doggs in my tank.
FInveFa.jpg

ROCK! - Thats been cycling in a tub since October!
X7GxnJW.jpg

BACTERIA! - Added a bottle of toms good stuff and some ammonia starter.

After the cloud settled I got to see my blind dumping of sand and blind aquascaping in the frag tank.

MnJASc3.jpg

uYNyQTu.jpg

L4Z1QmH.jpg

So I will need to move some sand around, I will need to do a better aquascape in the frag tank but the Cycle has started! I also cycled some of the bio media, and Ive added some bio media from the coral QT to kick start things.

In the mean time we wrapping up the last details on the pipes, wiring and tubing. As soon as the ammonia is down its time to get a bunch of snails and pods.

Side note I have to say the infiniti roller is simply amazing. The water in this system is incredibly clear. You can see straight down the full 8 feet of the tank.

The tank is cycling! The hard part is over. Now the hard part begins!

Last edited by a moderator:
26th. Dosed ammonia to 0.8.
29th. Amm at 0, nitrite at 2 and nitrates at 2.

This is gonna be a fast cycle! Time to start the snail order.

Minor update.

WE HAVE LIFE! The brown has started to grow. Ammonia zeroed out, I added more and we are back down to zero ammonia and nitrite and nitrates are about 1.
OpgLrNY.jpg

New electrical service install has begun. (and has been delayed tanks to permitting BS)
HwOBhsw.jpg

Finally got around to calibrating all the probes. (3 salinity, 5 pH, 1 ORP, 4 temp). I think I have enough to last a bit.

gguepj2.jpg

odLFl6M.jpg

Got the mastertronic and alkatronic setup and working.
RhK4Bqu.jpg

And the calcium shelf is ready to go.

EjagTRk.jpg

So now I have to do some manual tests to verify the testers results and then setup the dosetronic. The fugly brownness is taking over so snails and pods are on order. Still a few things to take care of and setup but we are getting close! Its that last 5% that takes 40% of the time. Im really hoping to have this thing fully operational with the first fish in by the end of the month.

A fun nighttime view.
B1Q4Fht.jpeg

I have macroscopic life!
iI1AT36.jpeg
EkxiZdo.jpeg

Getting the mastertronic setup.
r81gCaj.jpeg

And the alkatronic and dosetronic

31F5P48.jpeg

And so begins the saga of the tubes.

This is will be everyone who comes by from now on.

would-you-just-look-at-that-41746237-png.358764

Feast your eyes on the rainbow highway.

j9mEVvu.jpeg

ZGDBsxK.jpeg

jPW2eTT.jpeg

arqU105.jpeg

Also fish in the lake say hi.
E6UpPuv.jpeg

On a side note I decided to have a test flood last week so now I have a bunch of leak and level sensors to install.

Few more weeks and it should finally be time to put some fish in the tank!

I just spoke with Red dragon customer service about when a replacement pump might be available. I ordered two pumps 8 months ago. I returned one 6 months ago for a replacement they said would be available in 3 weeks. In the past 6 months they have told me it would be another 4-6 weeks. Now they literally have no idea when they will get parts.

I wanted these pumps to be able to use 0-10v control off my apex, but I also needed the highest head DC pumps available. RD was the only option.

Ive had it with RD at this point. I will be returning the RD second pump and getting two Jebao DCP-20000's at nearly 1/7 the cost of the RD pumps, but no more 0-10v control. This is sadly my only option for a DC pump with 30ft of head.

I guess building a 3 phase pump is going back on the list after this.

I just spoke with Red dragon customer service about when a replacement pump might be available. I ordered two pumps 8 months ago. I returned one 6 months ago for a replacement they said would be available in 3 weeks. In the past 6 months they have told me it would be another 4-6 weeks. Now they literally have no idea when they will get parts.

I wanted these pumps to be able to use 0-10v control off my apex, but I also needed the highest head DC pumps available. RD was the only option.

Ive had it with RD at this point. I will be returning the RD second pump and getting two Jebao DCP-20000's at nearly 1/7 the cost of the RD pumps, but no more 0-10v control. This is sadly my only option for a DC pump with 30ft of head.

I guess building a 3 phase pump is going back on the list after this.
Wow. Thats a shame.
Since the Jebao is a DC pump, there should be a control. I know on their circulation pumps I had an adapter that had a 0-10v control to my reef angel.

I wonder if this adapter would work for you.

The DCP pumps dont have any kind of control aside from the up down arrows on the controller. You can get a black box to control the smaller ones but its no rated to the 20,000 pumps. Im assuming due to the higher load.

Im not sure if I can use that thing in your link but it does give me an idea to us a PWM to control the pumps. Those can have 0-10v inputs and I already have a few 24v ones laying around from modding my kids power wheels.

Oh look another rabbit hole to get lost in.

Back