filling tank

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
i'm just about ready to start filling my 90G its already filled with sand and i'm done with my aquascape got dry rock from BRS using ro/di water was wondering do any of you fill your tank for the first time with water then add salt into the tank or do you mix outside then pour it in? is there anything harmful in doing it that way?

Mix it first to ensure you don't get un-dissolved salt sitting on the bottom which will later dissolved and raise the salinity.

Mix it outside and then pour it in.. You never want to mix salt in the tank. You will not get a good mix without proper agitation. So unless you want to mix up all that pretty sand, do it outside.

You will be fine by filling it with RODI first. I would then run it and turn on heaters and once water temp gets close slowly pour cups of salt in sump until you get to the correct level.

Thought a found a shortcut oh well guess there aren't any shortcuts in life lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Xyzpdq0121;942169 wrote: ^^^ You get the bad advice of the day award... Congrats!!!

Dude how do you think we did it 15-20 years ago. Stop being a but head as there are many ways to fill and run a successful tank in this hobby. The OP posted if it was possible to do it this way and I have done it this way for years on newly set up tanks.

I mixed salt right in my 90 when I was sitting it up, but then again I didn't have any sand or rocks in there. The salt in the sump idea isn't a bad idea. It too will work, I've also done that. Its only a bad idea if its live rock and sand already in the tank. I'm sure whatever living that was on the rocks and sand won't enjoy the rodi water bath for however long it takes for you to get the correct salinity.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Xyzpdq0121;942169 wrote: ^^^ You get the bad advice of the day award... Congrats!!!

I understand what he is saying, not necessarily bad advice depending on the op experience level and patience.

The real question is why would you want to do that in the first place? I think its a little late to do a leak test with sand and rock in the tank.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Eric B;942171 wrote: Dude how do you think we did it 15-20 years ago. Stop being a but head as there are many ways to fill and run a successful tank in this hobby. The OP posted if it was possible to do it this way and I have done it this way for years on newly set up tanks.

Been doing it for 20 years as well.. Never know that was the norm! I must not have been advanced back then! But then again, there was a lot of things we did 20 years ago that we have found out that it was a bad idea! Do we REALLY need to list all the reasons why dumping salt into a tank with rock and sand in it would be a bad idea?

BrandonMason;942174 wrote: I understand what he is saying, not necessarily bad advice depending on the op experience level and patience.

The real question is why would you want to do that in the first place? I think its a little late to do a leak test with sand and rock in the tank.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You should always leak test your tank outside before it's set up anyways. That way if it does leak, it's outside and not on your hardwood/carpet. I know if my tank ever leaked on our hardwood floors, my wife would ensure I can never have kids. lol

The rock is dead it's dry rock there's no live rock in the tank I was going to wait til I filled the tank with sw before I got a few pounds of live rock to seed the dry rock

And yes the tank has been leak tested

Qasimja;942179 wrote: The rock is dead it's dry rock there's no live rock in the tank I was going to wait til I filled the tank with sw before I got a few pounds of live rock to seed the dry rock

If that's the case then go for it. I would however pour salt slowly in the sump and be clearful not to let your return pump suck in too much as once. That could damage the impellers. I wouldn't dump salt in the display tank as someone above said because it will get stuck in your sand and take a while to dissolve and rise your salinity later on down the road. That won't be a problem for you as your'll be in the middle of your cycle but it's just a waste of salt.

I guess I will mix it outside guess a little more work wont hurt thanks everyone for the suggestions

XYZ, dude... you are obviously knowledgeable in many aspects of this hobby. HOWEVER, your posts are often times condescending, rude or disrespectful at best. I, as well as many others probably, would rather have you share your knowledge by stating your argument, and the reasons why, without referring to someone as incompetent.

This forum is supposed to be friendly and a peaceful place to learn and discuss all things reef reef related.

thanks for starting this thread, I too having thinking about it. Between my tank and sump I guess I will be at about 70g of water and I have a 20g rodi and 40g mixing brute trash cans. I guess I will get 40g mixed and into the main tank with a heater and power heads, make more water and get it to where everything needs to be. move heaters to sump, add sand and live rock and off we go.

Sound about right?

Sounds like a good plan.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Is the water already in the tank? You can mix in tank for the initial setup. Having rock and sand in it already makes it a bit more of a pain. Once anything living makes its way into the tank, it's a big no no.

Back