Finishing a Stand

giulianom

Market
Reaction score
Well over a year ago, I had asked Dustin (RedEdge2k1) to build me a stand (6' long) and canopy out of maple plywood and trim, to hold my 150 Gallon acrylic tank (5' long).

The original intent was that the 5' long 150 Gal tank would go on top, and a 4' long sump would go underneath.

This required that the front of the tank have a large 4' long opening in order to fit the sump inside, and so this stand was built:

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59609">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59609</a>

Since then, plans have changed (and changed, and changed..) so that I'm now going to a basement sump, and no longer require the giant 4' opening in the stand.

Here is the stand as it currently.. stands..

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VLykpOM.png>
VLykpOMl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

My plans for this coming week are to:

<ul>
<li>Make plywood filler panels ~4\" wide to create doorways in the 4\" wide open area.
They will be laminated like the other front panel sections to support the top.</li>
<li>Mount the door panels to the front, now that they have been removed from the original mounting board.</li>
</ul>
Also, to finish the stand, I picked up a special kind of wood dye, called an NGR Dye (non-grain raising) that I plan to spray the stand with.

The general finishing order will be:

<ol>
<li>Sand the wood.</li>
<li>Spray the stand with 10% lacquer clear coat, to act as a wash. This acts to pre-seal some of the pores in the maple wood so that the stain gets applied evenly and doesn\'t blotch.</li>
<li>Sand again.</li>
<li>Spray the stand with NGR dye cut 50% with lacquer thinner. Repeat until I like the color - \"Medium Brown\", they call it.</li>
<li>Spray 100% sealer.</li>
<li>Sand again.</li>
<li>Spray with lacquer clear coats, satin finish.</li>
</ol>

Is it your tank 5' x 24" x 24"? And what type of overflow you chose to have built in your tank? Is it custom MRC right? Just willing to know if it was built for you or you bought it used. Thank you Giuliano! I pm you.

rdnelson99;835245 wrote: Looking forward to swing this come together. FINALLY. :)

No kidding!

Two years in the making... And all this time I've been playing with virtual plumbing...

GiulianoM;835228 wrote:
The general finishing order will be:

<ol>
<li>Sand the wood.</li>
<li>Spray the stand with 10% lacquer clear coat, to act as a wash. This acts to pre-seal some of the pores in the maple wood so that the stain gets applied evenly and doesn't blotch.</li>
<li>Sand again.</li>
<li>Spray the stand with NGR dye cut 50% with lacquer thinner. Repeat until I like the color - "Medium Brown", they call it.</li>
<li>Spray 100% sealer.</li>
<li>Sand again.</li>
<li>Spray with lacquer clear coats, satin finish.</li>
</ol>

Remember, don't spray the lacquer inside your house. You'll blow it up. :)

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;835286 wrote: Remember, don't spray the lacquer inside your house. You'll blow it up. :)

Dustin

Sure, take all the fun out of it. :)

RedEDGE2k1;835286 wrote: Remember, don't spray the lacquer inside your house. You'll blow it up. :)

Dustin

Actually, that's exactly what I plan to do...

Except I'll have the walls covered in plastic sheeting, and the windows and doors open while I'm spraying.

After I spray, I'll have the windows and doors open with some box fans to push the fumes outside.

I have a good respirator, too...

Be careful not to burn thru on the edges when sanding after the sealer. Are you using the precat lacquer and sealer?

grouper therapy;835301 wrote: Be careful not to burn thru on the edges when sanding after the sealer. Are you using the precat lacquer and sealer?

Yes, they're the precat lacquer sealer and precat lacquer clearcoat, not the vinyl-based stuff.

In order to fill in the missing vertical supports for the 3 door panels in the middle, I had to measure the front of the stand and ensure my model was correct - it wasn't.

The front of the stand looks like this, minus the trim pieces:

SjKs1u6l.png
alt="" /></a>

The narrower open area on the right side is 12" wide, and the larger open section on the left is 48" wide.

The vertical support in between them is 4.5" wide.

I plan to add 2 more 4.5" wide supports in the middle of the 48" wide opening, with the resulting open doorways being 13" wide.

And here is is with the 2 extra support panels:

HCNwM9u.png
>
HCNwM9ul.png
alt="" /></a>

Quit drawing & get working already! hurry up, man! !

Skriz;835617 wrote: Quit drawing & get working already! hurry up, man! !

LOL...

I'm on Step 1, sanding the stand... I was sanding the wood this afternoon with 320 grit sandpaper.

The plywood's nice and smooth, but some of the trim edges I'll have to go over by hand with 220 first.

I've got all week, I took time off, so it'll get done soon.

Decided that I wanted an open center on the stand, so I adjusted the plans so that I only add one support beam on the left side.

The left and right doorways measure 12" wide, and the larger one in the center measures 31 5/8".

I also added a gap cover panel for the center doors.

Drawn with door panels closed:

I2rUeNP.png
>
I2rUeNPl.png
alt="" /></a>

SRirDy9.png
>
SRirDy9l.png
alt="" /></a>

Now that I have that figured out, it's time to cut the pieces...

wow.. that is just an incredible stand & canopy.

And the 5x2x2 150 is awesome. I love mine! Jealous of that sump, but if I had it I'd need another room for my reactors, ATO, skimmer & UV =)

JeF4y;835856 wrote: wow.. that is just an incredible stand & canopy.

And the 5x2x2 150 is awesome. I love mine! Jealous of that sump, but if I had it I'd need another room for my reactors, ATO, skimmer & UV =)

That's why I switched to a basement sump... No room inside the stand... :)

To attach the door panels to the stand, I have to build a 4.5" wide support panel.

First, I took the maple plywood panel that the doors were originally attached to, and cut a strip 4.5" wide. I wanted to re-use this plywood because it's the same maple that the rest of the stand is built from.

Here is the first panel, after cutting off a lip that was glued to the end:

XBNaOkN.jpg
>
XBNaOkNl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The thin bits of plywood at the end were shaved off with a blade to get it flat like the rest of the board.

I cut two more strips of 4.5" wide plywood from another piece that I had, which happened to be cherry plywood... but since they're for support and not visible, that's ok.

Here's the three pieces of plywood stacked on top of each other, ready to be glued together.

The piece on top is the part that faces out, and is the maple plywood - the others are cherry plywood.

xfkMsoo.jpg
>
xfkMsool.jpg
alt="" /></a>

And here they are glued and clamped:

VX3PEyA.jpg
>
VX3PEyAl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I'll let it dry for a few hours, then I'll install the piece into the stand tonight.

Trimmed the glued pieces to width, and screwed them together for good measure.

uqBbDA2.jpg
>
uqBbDA2l.jpg
alt="" /></a>

And here's the piece set into the stand - it's a perfect fit!

I'll permanently attach it with some angled Kreg screws and glue.

Ptgm5Uu.jpg
>
Ptgm5Uul.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Wide shot of the stand with the additional post:
DxXJdnm.jpg
>
DxXJdnml.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Looking good but I am with Raj. It is about time to stop with the finishing of the stand and "FINISH" the tank. LOL

rdnelson99;835904 wrote: Looking good but I am with Raj. It is about time to stop with the finishing of the stand and "FINISH" the tank. LOL

Sheesh, I get No Respect, I tell ya...

rodney-dangerfield.jpeg
alt="" />

</em>Progress will be happening quickly, soon enough... I'll have the stand finished by this weekend.

Back