Finishing a Stand

LOL. When she sits around the house.... She Sits Around The House!!!!!

Got the support post glued and screwed in, as well as a 3rd support bar for the right side.

That side was only 2 layers of plywood, so I added a third to match the rest of the front panel.

The entire front panel now has 3 x 3/4" plywood all around, built like a tank to support a tank. :)

Also picked up extra cabinet door hinges at the HGH Hardware store, and drilled the door panels with a 1 3/8" Foster bit for the hinges.

Tomorrow, more sanding and then I prep for spraying.

Small project for this morning - building a turntable that I can place the stand on so I can rotate it while spraying.

I got a 12" lazy susan bearing, and I'm going to build a pair of X pieces 36" wide.

The long pieces will be notched in the middle, and fit together.

The shorter pieces are for reinforcement.

3OoPcor.png
>
3OoPcorl.png
alt="" /></a>

2x4's cut and notched:

gxby7Dn.jpg
>
gxby7Dnl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Drilling for Kreg pocket holes on the braces is next, the screws and glue will hold it together.

And it works!

Wo2YNGU.jpg
>
Wo2YNGUl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Spins around nice and easily, I'll be able to cover the entire stand just by rotating it around.. except for the bottom, I'll tilt it on its back and just seal the bottom, no stain necessary there.

LOL Nice. I would have just walked around the t able but..... hehehehehe I am sure though that will make it much easier and may result in a more even finish in the long run.

rdnelson99;836269 wrote: LOL Nice. I would have just walked around the t able but..... hehehehehe I am sure though that will make it much easier and may result in a more even finish in the long run.

I did it mostly so that any overspray is restricted to one direction...

I have a window at one end of the room, and an outside door at the other, so tomorrow I'm going to seal off the room from the rest of the house, open the door and window, and stick a box fan in the window to ventilate.

I finished the initial sanding today, and tomorrow I'll spray on the 10% wash coat of sealer... and then sand again. :)

What time you going to start spraying? I will go out side for a smoke about that time. Bet I will be able to see the mushroom cloud in Larry Ville from Kennesaw. hehehehehehe

I'm sure that is an explosion proof motor on that box fan

Edit: If the burn center will let you use the phone Iwould love to get your thoughts on that gun. I need a new stain gun.</em>

Also, I have sprayed lacquers before - hobby airbrush of acrylic lacquers, but still... Similar.

The "spray booth" - the walls are covered in plastic sheet.

rGEMZtZ.jpg
>
rGEMZtZl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The spray gun - (L-R): Spray Gun, pressure regulator, air dryer (dessicant), air/water seperator.

ysG2udt.jpg
>
ysG2udtl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Respirator - Check!

5iKmcdy.jpg
>
5iKmcdym.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Motivational music:

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">Talking Heads-Burning down the house - YouTube</div>

So I managed to spray on the wash coat, it went pretty well...

I need to find something I can use as a measuring/dispensing cup that won't dissolve in lacquer thinner. :)

The spray gun is nice, I was using a 1.2mm tip to spray diluted sealer and it went well.. the gun has a knob to control the spray pattern (narrow/wide), and I was able to get anywhere from a 2" spot to about a 6-8" fan.

The spraygun I got came with small tips/needles, in 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3mm - primarily meant for auto finishing, but a 1.0 to 1.2mm nozzle is recommended for stains.

For something like oil based paints or latex, you'd need a much larger nozzle - the particles of paint are larger.

I have the box fan on now, blowing air out the window to clear the fumes.

I'll sand the wash coat tonight, and then tomorrow I'll spray the stain.

Sprayed the first coat of the dye stain... still a little splotchy, but I think it may give it some character.

There were definitely parts of the wood where the dye didn't soak in as fast as the others, and I was constantly wiping it down after the spray.

ZhBj0FN.jpg
>
ZhBj0FNl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

2MM1oRb.jpg
>
2MM1oRbl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

serpent;836779 wrote: Looking good. I agree, that has some character now.

Thank you!

The darker areas absorbed more stain than the lighter areas, so the lighter areas might have taken in more sealer prior to the stain.

I may try to lightly sand the light areas to open the pores a bit and re-stain.

I may consider not staining the interior, but I will definitely seal it all over to protect it from moisture.

Some shots of the canopy and door panels, after giving them a few hours to dry out:

Canopy
NhQ7soj.jpg
>
NhQ7sojl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Canopy Door Panels
YXDmR5T.jpg
>
YXDmR5Tl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

gdLfnf4.jpg
>
gdLfnf4l.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The second panel there has quite a bit of light areas on the inside sections there... I'll probably re-sand some parts of that and re-stain.

Stand Door Panels
IAkcUJs.jpg
>
IAkcUJsl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

You can really see some faces in the center panels...

Back