First impression of the Maxspect Gyre

I've ran MP40's and MP10's while I must admit they do make noise once you ramp them up, whoever I don't have a problem with it at all. My external pumps makes more noise, the water from my drain bubbling inside my filter socks makes more noise. My dehumidifier makes more noise, my chiller also makes more noise. My point? A lot of equipment we run along side our system makes noise, not just the vortech.

I was very interested in this gyre and thought about getting it until I've read all these stories about peoples units failing within the first week or 2. Until they figure this out and fix all the bugs with the gyre, I'll stick with my noisy vortechs. Just as some have stated, at least I know they will run for longer then 2 weeks. I haven't cleaned my vortechs in 6 months and they are still running strong.

However, once the gyre proves to be solid product, I will no doubt try it out.

tonymission;1003765 wrote: If that, and the price, are the biggest arguments against them, then I'm good with that. I make my choices based on what's best for my corals. :)
And how are they best for corals verses other water moving devices?

Hnguyen;1003782 wrote: I've ran MP40's and MP10's while I must admit they do make noise once you ramp them up, whoever I don't have a problem with it at all. My external pumps makes more noise, the water from my drain bubbling inside my filter socks makes more noise. My dehumidifier makes more noise, my chiller also makes more noise. My point? A lot of equipment we run along side our system makes noise, not just the vortech.

I was very interested in this gyre and thought about getting it until I've read all these stories about peoples units failing within the first week or 2. Until they figure this out and fix all the bugs with the gyre, I'll stick with my noisy vortechs. Just as some have stated, at least I know they will run for longer then 2 weeks. I haven't cleaned my vortechs in 6 months and they are still running strong.

However, once the gyre proves to be solid product, I will no doubt try it out.

My table saw makes noise as well but just like the items you mentioned it is not in my living room.;)

grouper therapy;1003849 wrote: My table saw makes noise as well but just like the items you mentioned it is not in my living room.;)

Wouldn't matter anyway. You wouldn't be able to hear it over all those pigs and chickens you have in you living room. Hehehehe

rdnelson99;1003861 wrote: Wouldn't matter anyway. You wouldn't be able to hear it over all those pigs and chickens you have in you living room. Hehehehe
No need to attack my family!!!!!:eek:

grouper therapy;1003848 wrote: And how are they best for corals verses other water moving devices?

I'll spare this a big rant as I think they've been made a million times over. Even the native battery backup availability is enough for me and we haven't even got into non-linear water movement and programmability yet. :)

tonymission;1003885 wrote: I'll spare this a big rant as I think they've been made a million times over. Even the native battery backup availability is enough for me and we haven't even got into non-linear water movement and programmability yet. :)
How is it better for corals? Battery back up is a plus but that can be obtained for all other devices as well.
It's just strange to me that you would deem them best for corals when there are pics of TOTM all over the web that have a variety of water movement devices( including Vortechs) that appear to be agreeable to the corals in those tanks. I guess what I'm asking is this proven in some study? I would agree that they appear to do a fine job but to say they are best for corals? hmmm.

grouper therapy;1003987 wrote: How is it better for corals? Battery back up is a plus but that can be obtained for all other devices as well.
It's just strange to me that you would deem them best for corals when there are pics of TOTM all over the web that have a variety of water movement devices( including Vortechs) that appear to be agreeable to the corals in those tanks. I guess what I'm asking is this proven in some study? I would agree that they appear to do a fine job but to say they are best for corals? hmmm.

Oh come on. He means in his opinion and we all know that.

grouper therapy;1003849 wrote: My table saw makes noise as well but just like the items you mentioned it is not in my living room.;)

Neither are my vortechs. I still don't see what the big deal is even if they are. As with every product, you're going to have people that love them and people that hate them.

RedStang;1004029 wrote: Oh come on. He means in his opinion and we all know that.

Oh come on man I know that as well.
So that you can understand me I will tell you this. If someone takes time out of their day to express their opinion I will take time out of mine to understand how or why they formed that opinion. Asking questions is one method that civil, mature humans have developed to ascertain that understanding. A common courtesy that some how has become viewed as inappropriate, rude or perhaps unnecessary, usually by those who have no basis for the development of their own opinion. If accepting others opinion with out any understanding of it's derivative, suffices, then I say "to each their on".:)

Hnguyen;1004043 wrote: Neither are my vortechs. I still don't see what the big deal is even if they are. As with every product, you're going to have people that love them and people that hate them.
I personally have no emotional attachment (love or hate) to any of the various water movement devices except perhaps the one I use for personal relief.:yes:
I like a silent tank that's why I prefer closed loops with the pump in an remote fish room. But you're right it is no big deal if you don't mind the noise, It is simply a matter of preference which is OK to express on an open forum.
I just don't care to pay that much for something that would annoy met to no end. Actually they could be free and I wouldn't tolerate the noise.

HA!! If they were free you could get 10 of them and just run them at 40%. Problem solved and no noise!! :)

Gyres seem to move a lot of water. But they had better have first class CS like EcoTech, as the Gyre is not inexpensive equipment. These are not at a disposable price point, like Jebaos.

I hope they get their product QC under control, as they are a welcome addition to existing water mover choices.

Hnguyen;1004122 wrote: HA!! If they were free you could get 10 of them and just run them at 40%. Problem solved and no noise!! :)

If the sound of a Vortech is annoying, you have the wrong vortech running. I've heard of people running mp10s on 4' tanks but that's not the right matchup. My mp40s at 30-50% are barely noticeable, if at all.

Wait. Why are you quoting me? I don't have a problem with vortechs or their noise!

Hnguyen;1004122 wrote: HA!! If they were free you could get 10 of them and just run them at 40%. Problem solved and no noise!! :)
I guess the noise would subside:eek: but I'm not crazy about 10 turds hanging on the inside and outside of my tank:yuk: . Never understood a beautiful rimless starphire tank with a big turd on each end and a power cord. Kinda like Decaf coffee , What's the point?:eek:

It gives you the taste but not the affect. The turds gives you water movement without the noice. Lol

tonymission;1004134 wrote: If the sound of a Vortech is annoying, you have the wrong vortech running. I've heard of people running mp10s on 4' tanks but that's not the right matchup. My mp40s at 30-50% are barely noticeable, if at all.

30-50%, yes they're quiet. Not silent. 50+ and they are loud. My DT is in my living room. Running 2 mp40 on a 100 was too loud. The ramp up and down drove me crazy. I will never own another vortech for this reason. To each their own. I'm running tunze now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MvM;1004140 wrote: 30-50%, yes they're quiet. Not silent. 50+ and they are loud. My DT is in my living room. Running 2 mp40 on a 100 was too loud. The ramp up and down drove me crazy. I will never own another vortech for this reason. To each their own. I'm running tunze now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tunze is a really good pump. I'll never argue against them.

Out of curiosity, what mode were you running? Pulse can get pretty loud. I run nutrient export most of the time and alternate with reef crest and go constant low output at night even though I'm not sure the ocean calms down at night ??

Acroholic;1004130 wrote: Gyres seem to move a lot of water. But they had better have first class CS like EcoTech, as the Gyre is not inexpensive equipment. These are not at a disposable price point, like Jebaos.

I hope they get their product QC under control, as they are a welcome addition to existing water mover choices.
I agree Dave. I also feel however that from a price standpoint I would expect near flawlees operation and duration from either.

Back