First impression of the Maxspect Gyre

EcoReefGuy;1001951 wrote: Hmm... Thanks. You just made my decision harder lol.

One of my used vortech controllers stopped working and I just gave them my serial number and they had me a new one in two days no questions asked. That's the only issue I've had with 8 of them in regular use.

tonymission;1001960 wrote: One of my used vortech controllers stopped working and I just gave them my serial number and they had me a new one in two days no questions asked. That's the only issue I've had with 8 of them in regular use.

Customer service like that makes a big difference! This product is still very new and I'm sure they will have newer improved versions in the future. It's still so new no one knows it's true longevity.

Thanks for your input on this product.

Question for you,

My 75 gal DT has a center overflow which I don't like and would never buy again.
IMO it's difficult to get adaquate flow with the center overflow breaking/stopping wave. It demands I use double the equipment that should be required for this size tank.

I've got 2 MP10's (100%) and 2 RW8's running and still can't get desired flow to LPS on the sides (behind overflow) in some areas and high flow to the back, top where SPS are placed.
Do you think this is my solution? Thanks

Appreciate this info, explanation is very useful!

SEA Atlanta;999196 wrote: No, it doesnt. Its rather a misnomer. It measures the ability of the water to oxidize. Which is the ability to lose electrons to other compounds. Oxygen can</em> oxidize, but its not mutually exclusive. For aquariums, we use it to measure a quantitive level of anions and cations in water. Or for the typical: "dirt". The lower the OR, the dirtier the water. This is not absolute nor valuable, as other compounds can affect orp. Measuring orp is most (and arguably ONLY) valuble when using ozone.

I think I misunderstood your statement. Stirring the sandbed will likely decrease orp as it release organic trapped in the sandbed into the water column, which would reduce the orp (as does our hands, food, etc). Orp can be affected by a lot, including pH and magnetic and electrical fields, too.

I finally understand ORP!

Camellia;1002025 said:
Thanks for your input on this product.

Question for you,

My 75 gal DT has a center overflow which I don't like and would never buy again.
IMO it's difficult to get adaquate flow with the center overflow breaking/stopping wave. It demands I use double the equipment that should be required for this size tank.

I've got 2 MP10's (100%) and 2 RW8's running and still can't get desired flow to LPS on the sides (behind overflow) in some areas and high flow to the back, top where SPS are placed.
Do you think this is my solution? Thanks

The gyre will (dependent on location, distance from the surface and orientation of the covers) create a circular flow in your tank. When I feed and leave the pump on, I can watch food particles run across the top the tank down he opposite side and across the top of the sandbed and back up into the bottom of the gyre. The outputs from my return are pointed in the middle of my tank and it creates a lot of turbulence in the center.
However, there are spots in my tank that are lower flow (under the pump) and higher flow (the opposite end of the tank). I could easily add another powerhead to create more flow below the gyre. But, to be honest with it set at 50% that is plenty of flow in my 120DT. I moved some of my coral to the areas that they seem to respond well to. Such as, my open brain loves the high flow on the opposite end while my elegance coral enjoys being under the gyre in that lower flow area.

I started this hobby with a with a 90DT with the center overflow and I know exactly what your talking about. In your case though with a 75 gallon DT it may be too much flow. I suppose you could turn it down to 20 or 30% and use a one of your mp10s to add more turbulence in those areas of concern. But, this powerhead has an unbelievable amount of flow. I posted some pictures earlier in this thread showing the powerful wave action it can create in pulse mode. I do think it may alleviate most of the surface tension issues you have in the opposite corner of the powerhead.

Got mine yesterday. Some thoughts out of the box. Its relatively quiet in comparison to Vortech not so much against a Tunze. I turned off one of my 6105's that I normally run on my non return end on my 120 DT. So first thoughts: A+ on the packaging had a quick start guide for those of us who don't want to read 15 pages of instructions (me). I found it nice that you can independently control the flow from side to side with the gyre. Sitting 2" under the water with it set to approximately 30% flow to the surface this thing moves a ton of water. I started at about 70% power and backed it down because it was late last night and I didn't want to clean water up off of the floor. I set mine on gyre mode and set the controller on 2 minute intervals so everything was not getting blasted. Overall first impression was very good. Only a couple of things I noticed last night that were cons. 1) The setup and maintenance buttons are not back lit and I ended up using a flashlight to figure out what I was pushing. This is primarily due to the fact that I have a hidden panel on the side of my stand where all my electronic gizmos are kept (maybe I should add a light to the cabinet hinge!) 2) there is an optional feed mode which I used for the first time and I am not 100% sure it reverted back to the setting it was on before it went into feed mode. Again this could have been an operator interface error but I will post again if that is the case. Glad Santa delivered mine early !

I've had mine going for about 10 days now on a cycling tank and one of the sides stopped spinning today. Real PITA. If I can't run it for more than two weeks without cleaning or changing parts I'm going to return it and get an MP40.

EcoReefGuy;1003385 wrote: I bought 3 mp40 and called it a day.

Enjoy the chorus of them ramping up and down. So annoying. I wish they truly were silent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MvM;1003392 wrote: Enjoy the chorus of them ramping up and down. So annoying. I wish they truly were silent.

It does depend on the mode. If you pulse them, you will certainly notice them. I really don't notice mine in reef crest to lagoon mode and there are other benefits IMO to outweigh occasional noise. I had 2 MP10's on my 29gal biocube and sold them when I upgraded. Huge mistake. I haven't found another pump that was better than a vortech. Very curious about this new pump these guys are testing though. Wouldn't mind checking out the smaller model when they're released but it'll be hard to just not get another MP10 to pair with the 40 and call it a day.

MvM;1003392 wrote: Enjoy the chorus of them ramping up and down. So annoying. I wish they truly were silent.

They are virtually silent at 50%... I can't go over that on my frag tanks if I want to keep water in the tank. Not sure why this is always a "thing" in these conversations... I bet most people's overflow plumbing is louder than a vortech.

It's going on a NUVO 40 so I doubt I'll even be close to 50 %. I've always like lower flow from multiple power heads rather than 1 power head blowing at full force.

EcoReefGuy;1003449 wrote: It's going on a NUVO 40 so I doubt I'll even be close to 50 %. I've always like lower flow from multiple power heads rather than 1 power head blowing at full force.

You'll probably be sitting around 20% with three of them on there. I'm a serial vortech overuser myself if that wasn't already obvious :p
Just can't go wrong

tonymission;1003457 wrote: You'll probably be sitting around 20% with three of them on there. I'm a serial vortech overuser myself if that wasn't already obvious :p
Just can't go wrong

Tony, your setup is absolutely sick! You have a crazy amount if flow in those two tanks!

I'm only using 2. The 3rd is back up. It was a good deal so I bought 3 lol

tonymission;1003442 wrote: They are virtually silent at 50%... I can't go over that on my frag tanks if I want to keep water in the tank. Not sure why this is always a "thing" in these conversations... I bet most people's overflow plumbing is louder than a vortech.
I think that is your answer.:yes: Never owned one so I can't speak about the need to run them at the different levels, but every time I have been around them they were very annoying in regards noise. For the kind of money they cost they should be dead silent IMO.
But in some defense certain freq., tones could possibly be less noticeable to others.

Nickh06;1003374 wrote: I've had mine going for about 10 days now on a cycling tank and one of the sides stopped spinning today. Real PITA. If I can't run it for more than two weeks without cleaning or changing parts I'm going to return it and get an MP40.

Good news, coralvue stated that it was a defect and have agreed to send me replacement parts but I respectfully declined. BRS is going to accept it back as a return and issue a refund. Going to swap it for an MP40 (something I know won't fail in 10 days). Might give Maxspect another try in the future but can't stand behind this product for now. Too bad because I really liked the idea of it, design just wasn't there.

grouper therapy;1003511 wrote: I think that is your answer.:yes: Never owned one so I can't speak about the need to run them at the different levels, but every time I have been around them they were very annoying in regards noise. For the kind of money they cost they should be dead silent IMO.
But in some defense certain freq., tones could possibly be less noticeable to others.

they are annoying.. I'm able to say this because i own some... and my tank is currently NOT running.. THEREFORE I don't feel the need to defend my purchase and claim they aren't annoying.

When my tank gets up and going again I WILL NOT have a vortech on it. It is.. IN FACT .. noisy

SnowManSnow;1003756 wrote: It is.. IN FACT .. noisy

If that, and the price, are the biggest arguments against them, then I'm good with that. I make my choices based on what's best for my corals. :)

Back